Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

P30 Leaf-springs
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
posted
I was looking around under the Barth today and happened to notice my leaf-spring retaining bracket is broke on top (the weld broke). No big deal I'll just reweld the piece. After looking at the bracket and comparing it to the other side I noticed a deference the passenger side has 10 leaf springs and the driver side has 12. Normally they run a bolt across the top of the bracket above the leaf springs which the passenger side has. The driver side has the 12 springs and the assembly is 7/8" thicker than the other side, they welded the bracket above the bolt holes.

So is that normal for the P30 somethings to have extra springs on the driver side. I know that side has the holding tanks and the generator and a driver that's a bit overweight. Just seams a bit odd for such a beefy suspension plus I have air bags which I'm not sure if they were aftermarket.

Posts: 259 | Location: SouthWest MI | Member Since: 08-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I have heard of the use of different springs in SOB coaches but I did not think Barth did that. If they had too much weight on one side I guess they would have to. My coach has same # springs on both sides.

I don't think they had OEM drive axle bags, either. My springs were sagging so I installed air bags. They were a good upgrade. Adjustable leveling and they soften the ride a bit. I run about 60 psi in mine.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5171 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking they had to be added by Barth the two extra springs that is. I can buy OEM replacement leaf springs and they are 10 springs not 12. So Barth had to of added the extra springs for leveling I suppose. My 12 spring retaining bracket or whatever they call that steel piece that wraps the springs has been modified.

Posts: 259 | Location: SouthWest MI | Member Since: 08-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
Get each corner weighed, then you will have a better ideal of spring balance. If side to side weight is not equal you may need the extra leafs.

Just for your info I weighed our 31' on our trip to Fla. Every axle was within a few hundred pounds of max.

Our 31' is one of the longest coaches on a p3x non tag chassis, Our coach has both front and rear bags.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really do need to get it weighed. The way my coach is designed the interior has most of the cabinets on the driver side. The refrigerator, pantry, kitchen, bathroom, generator, batteries, and holding tanks. So there has to be a imbalance. However my LP tank is on the opposite side.

I do have air bags front and back, I just ordered new bags for the front. The generator is pretty much junk so I'm going to remove it and then later add a Honda Generator. Huge weight difference.

So after I remove the generator I'll release the air from my bags, park on level ground and see how level she sets. Then when I get it back on the road I'll have it weighed.