Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Blowout
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/08
Picture of Cabinetguy
posted
My coach sustained damage after two dual rear blowouts. While attempting to fix things like exhaust, rear compartment collapse,and mudflap I was shocked to see no OEM protection of the fuel inlet lines above the tires in the wheel well. Any comments dazed confused

1998 29' widebody
454 Chevy chassis

Posts: 85 | Location: West Des Moines Iowa | Member Since: 10-06-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
What caused the blowout? How old were the tires?

Unfortunately the non-protection doesn't surprise me... these rigs weren't always built to handle every possible snafu. You could probably fab something up easily enough though...

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
Picture of lenny and judy
posted Hide Post
was your tire pressure up to par I am leaving on 6 new tires at 94# .I don't know who said it takes a few minutes to check your air yesterday it took me 45.I have big nubs for fingers and I dropped the valve caps on the ground about 6 times .pressure did not go down in a thousand miles.What did cause the blowout?.My buddy had his just sitting in front of his home standing there.It took a bunch of time and money to fix blew out his interior panels and his fender well just in case he replaced the other tire also.he had 22.5s 14 or 16 ply.I think he had tooo little pressure did not ask what he had in them
lenny

lenny and judy
32', Regency, Cummins 8.3L, Spartan Chassis, 1992
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Posts: 790 | Location: Naples Florida,g.g. | Member Since: 02-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/08
Picture of Cabinetguy
posted Hide Post
When I bought the thing last year, Ooops the seller said they were "new used tires". They looked solid and capable, but that should have been a huge red flag.

1998 29' widebody
454 Chevy chassis

Posts: 85 | Location: West Des Moines Iowa | Member Since: 10-06-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
The most important indicator on RV tires is the DOT date code. That will tell you the true "age" of the tires, which is always more important for RV's versus the actual mileage or visible tread remaining. Motorhome tires should be replaced every 6-7 years regardless of miles, or there is a big risk of blowout and resulting damage as you unfortunately experienced.

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
And at less than 6-7 years if you're in the South. I replace mine at 5 years - and this would apply to my other vehicles if they wern't garaged. And my Barth is parked in the woods, well-shaded.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cabinetguy:
I was shocked to see no OEM protection of the fuel inlet lines above the tires in the wheel well. Any comments dazed confused

FWIW, my fuel plumbing is all inboard of the frame rail. I can't imagine why they changed.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Same here (except for the black iron propane pipe). The first time I saw Ugly Betty, Nick Cagle asked me to stop by an homeimprovement center and get him some copper tubing and some flare fittings, as a blown tire had carried away a propane line...

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post