Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

CB antenna
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted
Thinking of reactivating the CB in the Barth. Do folks still use them. Haven't used one in 20 years but I did in the young days. I even got a ham license and have all the equipment but never used it. So the question is simple - Are folks still using CBs.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1183 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I took mine out a while back. I did not hear much traffic. I only used it a few times, mostly in Michigan. It may be more popular in other parts of the country.

I lost track of the solar cycles. In the good old days there was a lot of background static when the sun was active. Much better when solar activity was not so high.

It might be worth a try. I think I still have a nice Cobra with built in SWR meter if someone wants it.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5159 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of Harold,Cat&Sam
posted Hide Post
Along with the ham radio , I use the citizenship radio on most trips . Mostly for traffic info or to communicate with the truck drivers. It is nice to have while traveling with a group. We use the cb in the Jeep when exploring the mountains with other Jeepers.

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW

Posts: 621 | Location: Mooringsport,LA | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
I used CB a lot when traveling to keep track of the roadway activity. I quit a while back when the ratchet jaws with their hopped up fix-based rigs were jamming all the channels spewing nothing but profanity.

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
10-4 driver. You got the Kingfish here, 1000 watts of downtown audio sound blowing smoke through your windows. Slippin, slidin' alligator mobile shuckin and jivin' catch me if you can.... head bang

Most people don't know that CB stands for "Children's Band" Hide

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5159 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of Harold,Cat&Sam
posted Hide Post
I seldom hear anyone on the cb other than the occasional trucker. When you get close to truck stops it will pick up some , but usually it is quiet with the squelch adjusted correctly.

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW

Posts: 621 | Location: Mooringsport,LA | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
There is a local State Cop, close by, goes by the handle of Golden Bear, when he is on duty, his CB is "on" and he is one helpful guy, too bad there are not more Cops who do that good PR for them.

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2042 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Back in the day I was tracking another person to Clinton and as we entered some small town he called me and said to mind the limits. A reply came that you guys weren't any fun!
I have a drawer with 3 Radios available and a quarter wave antenna, come on down!

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post