Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

I Love Nose
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted
Well, my Glasnose is still the pain in the ass it always has been. Brought Nose home from winter storage, we had a couple of pretty nice days for this time of year.

Backed it in the driveway, nice ride home. That afternoon pulled out the ramps to raise it up so a new electric fuel pump and filter could be installed. The starter disassembled and fell off the engine, held up by the wires!! The mounting bolts were still in place on the engine but two of the assembly screws had come unscrewed and one broke off part of its bracket, so the motor and solenoid were swinging in the breeze.

Disconnected the mounting bolts and wires to remove the whole mess. All the screws were there, re-clocked the motor to use a new area for the part that broke. Installed and tightened all the assembly screws, connected it to a battery and it worked like new. Put it back in Nose and after a lot fiddling due to the new clocking, Nose starts again! Probably should have put lock tight on the screws, will keep an eye on it.

When we get another warm day and no rain, will try to put nose on ramps and install the fuel stuff again.

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Pirate19
posted Hide Post
Is it true the over-under for the number of pages before the first frost is 12? If so, I bet over.

'92 Breakaway
Cummins 190hp, No Modifications
Allison AT542
Floor Plan 30-BS-11B
9205-3798-30BS11B

Posts: 384 | Location: USA | Member Since: 11-07-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Got the new fuel pump and filter installed, it is putting out 14psig, way too much for my ole Rochester!! Initially, the float was set way poorly and it filled the filter bowl so high overflow into the secondary ports could be seen, and the accelerator pump leaked out the piston area!

So have to get a regulator, Holley makes one that will handle the input pressure.

Reset the height of the float to stop all the secondary flooding and tried to run Nose with it set as is, runs really good except it would not idle, it flooded! Stopped the secondary overflow but fuel leaked from the accelerator pump jet on the passenger side when idling. Guess the internal pressure was low enough it did not leak when there was load on the engine.

Disconnected the electric pump and all was fine.

MY goal with this electric system is to eliminate vapor lock.

Pressure regulator will be in at O'Reilly's in the morning.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
How’s the temp in Iowa? You must be due for a blizzard to blanket nose with a fresh dump of snow? Glad to see you are able to work on Nose.

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane88:
Well, my Glasnose is still the pain in the ass it always has been. Brought Nose home from winter storage, we had a couple of pretty nice days for this time of year.

Duane, this proves you are a hopeless Barth junkie. hmm

You love your Nose. It is old, it is ugly, and a pain in the ass but you still love it.

Hopeless Barth junkie. Congratulations. Salute

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Friend of mine had 427s in his Commander, added high volume electric pumps and switched them on at 3K or when ready for exerciseWink

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Dana, there is rain in the forecast, maybe today. The snow melt from up in Minnesnowta must be light or not started yet the Mississippi is now ice free and at a low level for this time of year. We are abnormally warm, but we do usually get one winter blizzard before it is all over, maybe not this year.

Steve, your right it is a great privilege to join the junkie ranks, but will never reach your level!!!!

Tim, that is a great idea, maybe just put the pump on a switch for start-up and if it begins to miss due to vapor lock!! Gonna consider that. The dreaded Pelicans have not made an appearance yet, are they down your way??

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
The pelicans are here. I think some overwinter we saw a large flock at L&D 25 a month ago, all the eagles were at 24.
Why dreaded?

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ccctimtation:
The pelicans are here. I think some overwinter we saw a large flock at L&D 25 a month ago, all the eagles were at 24.
Why dreaded?

There were 10 Bald Eagles in the River front park for the last few days.

When there were only a few Pelicans, fish recruitment was pretty good, both bait and sport. Now there are few if any yearling bass, and the L&D area used to have schools of bait fish completely around the side banks in the summer.

Last year there were at least 100 Pelicans, here all season and many hundreds accumulated for the migration south, they have wiped out the baitfish, and did not catch a single young bass last year.

My hope is they will balance to the new environment.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
My letter to the Missouri Conservationist magazine
The first time my wife and I saw these magnificent birds I think it was in the Spring mid 1990s. We were hiking a levy trail by the Mississippi River in Eastern St. Charles County. It was bottom forest, reasonably mature, still winter-nude trees. Hiking, enjoying the solitude and then we stepped through a time warp! Only a few feet above the barren tree tops came Vee after Vee of huge silent teradactyls. They passed, we finished our hike in amazed silence. We found our car as we left it and our bird book transformed teradactyls into white pelicans. We have yet to have such a memorable walk in the woods.

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
They are really a magnificent sight when a flock is organized into a low flying V-pattern, sometimes there are 10 or more groups flying over the river.

The breeding ground is another story. The young protect themselves by spitting a vile fluid. The island they use to breed here stinks from the food fish and if the wind is right one can smell it in the park.

They also steal fish from the Cormorants when they surface with a catch they need to swallow it quickly or the bigger birds will grab it right from their mouth.

Nature is indeed unique and every year it is a learning experience, watching the interaction of these relatively new to our area creatures modify the existing wildlife and area they affect.

The first time I saw the pelicans was about 2010, maybe only 2 or three birds at L&D 13, last year there were well over a hundred.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
So Tim guess who arrived either early this morning or last evening. Saw these guys in the back water and later looked across the river and the tips of several islands were white.

They are not as impressive swimming about as they are flying with that huge wingspan.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Well enough about the wildlife for a bit!!

Yesterday got the fuel regulator installed, put it on the side of the doghouse housing. Started Ole nose up, the Rochester is dry as a bone, the accelerator pump works like it should, used the preset pressure from the regulator supposed to be 4.5 psi. Curious how it runs with the change in the filter bowl float height, believe it might have been running rich due to the float being so high, hopefully might see some mileage improvement.

Noticed there was a bit of bounce and weird noises coming from the alternator, changed the system to a Gilmer belt drive last year. One of the mounting bolts had come loose. The belt adjustment and the rear bracket mounting bolts are only 5/16 and were of soft steel. Broke the adjustment bracket bolt off, had to pull the alternator off to get that bolt out. Reinstalled the alternator used a hardened steel bolt for the adjuster. Got it all back together, and the belt tightened, checked the lower mounting bolt and broke that ******* bolt off!! This one is in the housing, have to pull the alternator again!! Sometimes it just does not pay to get up in the morning!!! Hope this bolt can be removed pretty sure it will need to be drilled and easy outed!!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Must have found a lucky penny!! Broke that bolt off in the alternator, drove Nose around just to see how it was running and the remaining broken stud worked its way out. Did pull the alternator before I found it was gone. So will reassemble using better bolts tomorrow...Whoopie!!!

Dana you will be happy to know the Mississippi is on the rise, we have had a lot of rain, but if there was any remaining snow up north it is probably melting and filling up the river. Not near flood stage just getting higher.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post