Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Our Friend "Don Scalzo"
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/10
Picture of sky
posted
Some of you probably remember our former Barth owner and good friend "Don Scalzo. I got the message today that he had passed away. Here is the letter. Let us give a prayer for Don. Thanks.
sky Here is a copy of the letter.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: pgaryi@gmail.com
Sent: 6/14/2009 12:04:47 P.M. Central Daylight Time
Subj: Don Scalzo

On June 2nd, my father, Philip Donald, "Don", Scalzo passed away at Hospice House in Sarasota. He will be interred at the Sarasota National Cemetery, 9810 State Road 72 at 2:00pm on Monday, June 15. Family & friends will gather afterward at Mulligans at the Bobby Jones Golf Club, 1000 Circus Blvd. in Sarasota.

As you may know, my father struggled intermittently with illness over the last several years. The last seven months were particularly fraught with challenges that certainly would have done in a lesser man much sooner. Thankfully, even at the end, he knew very little, if any pain.

My father's was a life fully lived and his sharp mind and sense of humor never faltered. He was ready to go and made his transition as anyone might wish; passing peacefully in his sleep surrounded by his loving family.

We request that, should you wish to make a memorial donation, you offer it to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, 501 St. Jude Place, Memphis, TN 58105 which my father generously supported, or to TideWell Hospice, 5955 Rand Blvd., Sarasota, FL 34238 where my father, and all of us, found peace and comfort in his last days.

We appreciate your sympathy and prayers.

Tracey Scalzo

1990 Barth Regency
32RDGB1 Wide Body
3208 Cat 250 HP
Gillig Chassis
Center aisle

Posts: 454 | Location: Murphy, NC | Member Since: 03-01-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Darn! I wish this had come in time for me to say farewell to Don. Suzy and I were among the fortunate to spend some time partying and just kicking back with Don, and we will miss him. He always made it a point to show up wherever we said we'd be for a weekend, and was our first real Barth friend. I'll split what little I can afford at this time between the very worthy causes mentioned in Don's memory, and hope that those of you who had the good luck to know Don will do the same. God bless ya Don, I guess he needed another story teller up there!

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
I remember Don as an avid poster in the past. The last time Don was on our boards was...
Last Time Logged In: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 15:58:01 GMT-0700

Honestly, it doesn't seem that long ago. I believe that I am falling into "This Thing" that my parents warned me about. Something to do with time speeding up as one gets older and everything seems like it was "Just The Other Day".

I went back and reread several of your posts Don. I remember most of these conversations. Thank you Don, may you find peace and comfort.

Here is Don's first post and Bill H welcoming him to our forums. Without further ado... the next post is Don Scalzo's former Barth. If anyone has a picture of Don, please post it or forward it to me and I'll get it up.

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I never met Don; I was to have met him at the FMCA Brooksville in FEB '06. As it turned out, his health had intruded...

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
We did meet him at Brooksville. He was having a bit of trouble getting around but gave us a great tour of his coach. At the time we were still hunting for one.
Sad to hear of his passing. He was really patient and nice to us rookies.
Don
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
I never met Don; I was to have met him at the FMCA Brooksville in FEB '06. As it turned out, his health at intruded...

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Scalzo, Philip Donald ~ June 9, 1926 - June 2, 2009

Philip Donald "Don" Scalzo, 82, of Sarasota, formerly of Croton-on-Hudson, N.Y., died June 2, 2009.

Don will be interred at 2 p.m. Monday at the Sarasota National Cemetery, 9810 State Road 72. Family and friends will gather afterward at Mulligan's at the Bobby Jones Golf Club, 1000 Circus Blvd., Sarasota.

Survivors include children Jim of Hollywood, Paul and Tracey, both of Sarasota, and Cathy of Naselle, Wash.; three grandchildren; sister Shirley White of Sarasota; and brother Joseph of Louisiana.

Don served in the Merchant Marine through the close of World War II before starting a business and a family in the Croton area. Don moved to Sarasota in 1972, where he established himself as a building and remodeling contractor until his retirement.

An avid sailor, Don plied the waters of the Gulf of Mexico for more than three decades. He moved to Apollo Beach in 2002, returning to Sarasota this year to be closer to family.

In lieu of flowers, the family requests memorial gifts be offered to TideWell Hospice, 5955 Rand Blvd., Sarasota, FL 34238; or the St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, 501 St. Jude Place, Memphis, TN 38105.

Legacy.com - Don Scalzo

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/10
Picture of sky
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill - Ny - The picture and tribute is very nice. Thanks - Ray and Anne

1990 Barth Regency
32RDGB1 Wide Body
3208 Cat 250 HP
Gillig Chassis
Center aisle

Posts: 454 | Location: Murphy, NC | Member Since: 03-01-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
Bill very nice posting. And our prayers go to all the family.

JKB

88 28' Regal 454
Blue/Silver metalflake

Posts: 706 | Location: 103 miles west of Milford & 1.75 Miles from Lincoln oasis on I-80 | Member Since: 01-05-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post