Tools
Reply To This Topic

Importing a Barth ~ Canadian Customs
 Login now/Join our community

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted
I know that we have talked about this before. If you can comment on this, please reply back here.
quote:
Greetings

I would like to import a 1990 Barth 28' Regal to Canada , unfortunately this year of Barth is listed as INADMISSIBLE.

On contacting Canada Customs they said that it is possible that Barth has not supplied them with the proper information on this year of Regal and that I should contact Barth.

Could you please e-mail me any information that would allow me to import the Barth to Canada.

There is some urgency to the fact that I assumed that there would be no difficulty of importing the Barth due to their reputation. It is currently sitting at a facility going through a safety and mechanical inspection.
As I agreed verbally to pay for the inspection and should there be any any areas that should be addressed---the longer the facility has possession of the Barth the costs add up in addition the seller would like to obtain conformation as to the final sale of the Barth.I would be very dissapointed if I were not able to import the Barth not to mention the costs.

Please reply as soon as possible.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of madrone
posted Hide Post
Why don't you just rent a mail box at a mail drop in the US and register it there?

Posts: 69 | Location: Texas | Member Since: 11-26-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
I think they are looking at the Canadian Registrar of Imported Vehicles Website. RIV DOES NOT apply to vehicles over 15 years old, that is why it only shows 1995 & 1996 Barth's as admissable on its site. I don't know why it doesn't show 97s and 98s other than that was after the "takeover" and Barth didn't apply for import to Canada status??
Anyway, we had NO trouble bringing our 1990 Regency to Ontario from NY State a few years ago.
Got the proper forms for exit from U.S. Customs at the Queenston-Lewiston Bridge, drove it to the Canadian side, Paid the sales tax and got the form that you take to the Ont. DMV to get the tags. Of course we also had to get the proper safety check and emissions test to get those tags just like you would do if you bought a used motorhome in Ont.
When we showed up at the bridge neither the US or Canadian customs guys actually looked at the vehicle. They were only interested in the paperwork.
The hardest part was getting a N.Y. temporary tag to drive the Barth home! BTW that tag was good in Ontario according to the lady at our local DMV office.
Don

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/09
Picture of T&T&B
posted Hide Post
I agree with madrone. Renting a mailbox would be the easiest way. Then you get back home to the Great White North, you can investigate further to change the tags......A lot of snowbirds here do that when they buy cars, register them in Florida, leave them here, or take them "home" and worry about the rest later. Most of the time, they just leave the Florida tags and registrations and drive them that way.

There are a lot of places that offer mailboxes for rent, one of the most famous for RV'ers is Escapees (hope it's ok that I mentioned that name) but they do a good job of taking care of the RV'ers needs, insurance discounts, mail forwarding service, etc, and their rates are quite reasonable.

Any other enlightened opinions????

I also believe Texas - home of Escapees has a low state sales tax rate. The folks at Escapees will also help you register your vehicle......

Tina

36' Barth Regency
3208 Cat 250 HP
Allison 4 speed Transmission, Gillig Chassis
"If it ain't a CAT it's a DOG"

Posts: 142 | Location: South Florida - La Belle | Member Since: 03-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
When we were at the DC gathering on the first night we were with the "commoners" as Barth alley was not available. We were surrounded by Montana plates and I inquired as to weather they were all traveling together. Turns out Montana is some kind of registration haven and most of the RVs with Montana plates had never even been there. Don't know why or how, but that seems worth a look.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
As mentioned earlier, you may import any vehicle into Canada that is over 15 years old.

As to Montana you, hire a lawyer and they will set you up with a limited pardnership corporation and then pay Montana sales tax. When you pay a million for a coach you could have sales taxes of $60,000 or more.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1185 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
This is when I'm happy I'm a NH resident. 0% sales tax!!

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post