Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Trip to Mexico
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
Picture of GaryG
posted
We're wanting to go to Mexico for all or part of December and would like to caravan with two or three others rather than make a solo adventure.
There's a good article in current issue of Escapees and we will look elsewhere for travel company but if there any Barth folks out there interested and available, let us know. Thanks!

------------------
Susie and Gary (SUGAR)
'95 Barth Regency 34'
'96 Explorer

Posts: 109 | Location: Abiquiu, NM | Member Since: 05-20-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
Just one thing about travelling to Mexico:

If you are involved at all in firearm ownership or carry any firearms in your motorhome; be sure to sterilize your motorhome of ANY firearms, parts or even ammunition.

Mexico's gun laws are even stricter than NYC's. You can/will be jailed for even possession of a single round of ammunition.

The State Dept. will be of minimal assistance in such cases.

Just a thought FYI...enjoy your trip.

Posts: 178 | Location: Lancaster, PA USA | Member Since: 07-30-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I just love travelling in Mexico... but I don't think I'd consider it in my Barth... I should explain: In many places in Mexico there are no banditos and the locals are some of the most warm and wonderful human beings on this planet, but that said, there are many dangers in travelling there, increasing exponentially every year. Poverty creates despair, and hunger can drive good people to do terrible things. Travelling in a fine coach like a Barth is, to me, like wearing a sign around your neck that shouts out "I'm a rich american! Rob ME!" frankly, just the fact that one is THERE, regardless the vehicle they drive, puts that person in an economic situation above the vast majority of the locals. It's a shame, but my strong feeling is to travel there as LOW KEY as possible! Like a VW westphalia at most...

Posts: 159 | Location: Newington, CT USA | Member Since: 06-02-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
Picture of GaryG
posted Hide Post
Is that you, Mr. Dutros??

Posts: 109 | Location: Abiquiu, NM | Member Since: 05-20-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Wow, if Deb and I were loose from capitalist responsibilities I we would go in a second. I recently read an article on traveling in Mexico and as it turns out the crime rate even in Mexico City is w a y below that in suburbia USA. There is ample facilities in large cities and off of freeways except they don't regularly take credit cards.

It is my understanding that many large cities are now treating their water to USA standards. No more Montezuma's revenge.

One anecdote reports that the most iffy part of the travel was driving through Tijuana.

Deb and I went out this weekend and camped in upper 40's lower 50's weather. We both came back chilled to the bone. Mexico sounds fantabulous to me....

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post