Tools
Reply To This Topic

92 Regency acceleration issue
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Bill G
posted
On our way to Florida yesterday I experienced for the first time acceleration issues with the Barth. I make a long run from MA to the Chesapeake Bay bridge/tunnel rest area trying to get into warmer weather. About 20 miles before reaching the rest area the Barth started slowing down and I had no control with the accelerator pedal. This only lasted for short period time and I regained power. Over the next 10 minutes this happened several times. It finally settle down and I had control again for about 8 miles and then it happened again. Control of the accelerator returned again and I made it to the rest area. As you might imagine this concerned me significantly. Additionally my next days drive was crossing 20 miles of Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel then on to my next days stop. This was not a trip that I was willing to take given the experience I had with loosing power. If the coach died on the bridge or even worse in one of the two tunnels, that would be a catastrophe. I googled Cummins dealerships and came up with one in Chesapeake, VA. I called them in the morning (Fri. 12/29) and spoke to Dallas the service manager. He explained that they were very shorthanded due to the holiday, but would try to help me. He arranged for a wrecker to come get me and tow me to the dealership. Since this is the long New Year’s eve weekend there was nothing that could be done until next Tuesday. I was able to park in the dealership lot and Dallas provided me with an electric cable and allowed me to use the hose to put water in my storage tank as I had been running winterized. When I left Massachusetts the day before it was only 3°. We are now sitting in the lot and waiting for Tuesday.

For anyone with thoughts on what the problem might be, here is a quick synopsis of what was going on. Initially I was on cruise control and started losing power. I then hit the accelerator pedal and got nothing. I pumped the pedal up-and-down with no reaction. After a few moments the ability to control the engine returned. The cruise control remained off and I drove on. Over the next few minutes this happened two or three more times. The power to control came back each time. I drove for about 8 miles and then it occurred again. The power returned and I made it to the rest area without further problems.

Hopefully Tuesday they will bring me in and attempt to diagnose the problem. I would like to be able to give them some thoughts on this issue if anyone has any experiences similar to this please post. I’ll keep my eye on the site over the weekend. I will also post in Tech Talk all the information related to the repair when it is completed.

Thanks, BillG

Bill & Georgene Goodwin
92 (Feb.) Regency 36ft
300hp Cummins
Gillig Chassis (1990 build date)
2014 Honda CRV toad
10Kw Power Tech Gen w/ Kubota diesel engine
Can accomodate Barth visitor with advance notice

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I had a similar power loss driving through Knoxville a short time ago. Looking out the back I saw no smoke. I assumed if the turbo had failed, I would still have fuel but not burning well and lots of smoke. Lack of smoke implies fuel starvation.

In my case it was the fuel shutoff solenoid bracket. It had broken and allowed the solenoid to drop down and almost shut off the fuel valve. In my case, the bracket was broken so I wired the fuel valve open and went on my way.

With the cold weather lately I would suspect water/ice in the fuel but it won't usually come and go. Could also be an air leak in the suction fuel line from the tank, pulling in bubbles and starving the fuel.

In your case I wonder if the solenoid is loose, or perhaps has an intermittent connection. If the solenoid doesn't hold the fuel valve completely open it could cause partial fuel starvation and power loss.

On the top pass side of the engine, about the middle, you will find the solenoid. When the key switch is on, the solenoid should pull the valve up and fully open, and stay there as long as the key is on. Try wiring the solenoid to hold the valve open. (Only down side, you will have to unhook it to shut off the engine.)

Keep us posted, good luck.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5159 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
My Gillig has a Stone Webster accelerator that is powered by the air compressor. If you lose or have reduced air pressure the pedal does nothing. Did you notice your air pressure as this was happening? The hose could be lose or leaking or even a dump valve in the rear suspension could be frozen or leaking.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
To Steve VW and Tom and Julie,

It was dark and I did not notice any smoke from a possibly failed turbo. If the turbo did fail wouldn’t I continue to have problems rather than the intermittent power failures that I experienced? I’m not a mechanic but not sure that that would be the case.
Regarding air pressure, unfortunately that is not something that I noticed. That’s due to the very poor lighting on my dash, the gauge is not easily visible nor did I think to look at that.

Thanks, I’ll bring these comments to my mechanic and also have them check the bracket holding the fuel solenoid.

Bill & Georgene Goodwin
92 (Feb.) Regency 36ft
300hp Cummins
2014 Honda CRV toad

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
You are right, the turbo would not normally come and go. Fuel starvation or throttle failure are more likely.

I know the Stone throttle was used on the Cat engines but I'm not sure about the Cummins. Might be a Gillig thing. All the Spartans I've seen have a standard throttle cable. Air throttle system could certainly be the problem. Good luck!

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5159 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
Tom and Steve you members are spot on. The first thing I would check is fuel filters and possible water contamination. If you have air throttle, air leak is possible.
My air bag dump valves leaking caused my air throttle to be erratic. Fortunately I was still at home. The air shifter was erratic too. I manually closed the air bag dump valves and the problem was cured. later I replaced the air solenoid valves. There are three air bag valves.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
Thanks again for the comments.I am very grateful for the Barthmobile website. I’ve been a member since the early days and have been a proud Barth owner since 2003. I remember when Dave Bowers started the site. I’ve always been a fan of old quality and have been interested in Barth’s since then. I bought my regency about two years later (2003).

Happy New Year to all.

Bill & Georgene Goodwin
92 (Feb.) Regency 36ft
300hp Cummins
2014 Honda CRV toad

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
"We are now sitting in the lot and waiting for Tuesday."

Bill, I hate that you have to be in that situation for the holidays. Do you have a toad with you? Lot's of things to do in Chesapeake.

Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
Hi Jim & Terry,

We are definitely traveling with a toad. Wouldn’t spend three months in Florida without one. We went out for a while today exploring and we will continue since we will be here for at least three or four days maybe much longer depending on status of repairs.

All is well as this is just another adventure, albeit an expensive one.

Bill & Georgene Goodwin
92 (Feb.) Regency 36ft
300hp Cummins
2014 Honda CRV toad

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
Don't panic. I'm looking over at least two kitchen jobs for you when you get back.

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard_Muise:
Don't panic. I'm looking over at least two kitchen jobs for you when you get back.

I think I missed something again. I like the galley in my Barth. ??? Only acceleration issue is my wife does not cook fast enough.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I suspect the kitchen jobs will help pay for the Barth repairs. hmm

I am curious to see what the problem was... hopefully fixed soon and on the way.

Yesterday AM was -16. Today a balmy 5 degrees. Run away...

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve VW:
I suspect the kitchen jobs will help pay for the Barth repairs. hmm

Thank you for the clarification Steve VW. I was not reading between the lines.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
SteveVW we beat you in the cold category -20f last night, now that is freezing ones ass off cold!!

Ok I am a bit soft headed "TOAD" does it mean, "take off and drive", ????

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2042 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
The word toad refers to your tow car. It’s sometimes spelled towed.

Bill & Georgene Goodwin
92 (Feb.) Regency 36ft
300hp Cummins
2014 Honda CRV toad