Tools
Reply To This Topic

Some More Reasons Why Women Live Longer
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Founder and Moderator Emeritus
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
The one with the guy holding the target is a double whammy.

Where does the projectile go even if it hits the target?

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bill h:
Where does the projectile go even if it hits the target?

Into the men's room?

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
Having worked in several rock quarries over the years and sometimes seeing hundreds of tons of rock suddenly fall from the walls for no reason, the second picture which shows the person sitting out on the point of rock gives me chills.

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Ref: Pic #9

For a second there, I thought someone had snapped a picture of me installing my new airbags last week......

On second thought, it can't be.....My jack is blue........

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: PL77
posted Hide Post
Picture #10 reminds me of a trucking story where a driver was hauling a load of rebar and ran out of air coming down a hill. Once he realized that he was going to hit he dove down to the floor of the cab, just as the load of rebar sliced straight through. He got off with nary a scratch, save one good gash through his buttocks, which he proudly showed anyone who dared to ask.

I prefer seeing flatbeds on the road; then I can at least see if they actually tied the load down well or not. Those sea cans give me the willies.

Posts: 52 | Member Since: 03-11-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Thread drift - This morning's paper reported a local log truck driver faces vehicular homicide charges. Overloaded 7700 lbs., taking a curve too fast, the bolts that fastened his log rack sheared, the load flew off, and killed two U of Wash. scientists in a Saturn coming the other way.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
/continuing thread drift

I was going to respond with something about logging trucks having to weigh everytime they load up, but I remembered picking up a load of lumber in northern california and heading toward Ontario. I weighed in the lumber yard, with a full load of fuel, at 79,000#--well under the legal limit. Drove about 8 hours and then debated about fueling up, as I was down to a quarter tank or so, and decided to wait a while where fuel was cheaper. Hit an open scale, wheeled in, and watched the numbers start at 80500# (500lbs overweight) and work downwards. They finally levelled off at 79,940lbs. Had I loaded up with another 200 gallons of fuel I'd have gone to jail, or at least paid a hefty fine. And, even though I weighed at the lumber yards faulty scale, I would have still been at fault. Frowner

The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
It was a Washington State Patrol investigation that determined the overweight & recommended prosecution. The particular truck had been once before ordered out of service by WSP pending correction of other mechanical problems, & the company has a history of violations. After this one they'll hopefully be out of business.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Is the driver the only one taking heat for this? Sounds like it goes higher up.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately it usually takes a fatality to get a bad apple company off the road. String together a bunch of fatalities and they then go after everyone. Witness the fact that Ontario (Canada) truck drivers aren't allowed to even *adjust* their own brakes anymore due to a few knuckleheads who couldn't figure out how to do it and ended up running over 4-wheelers. It's not a bad idea to have mechanics adjust brakes, but I can't count the number of times I left the yard and either tightened a soft set, or more often, loosened one brake that was catching too early and leaving a plume of smoke behind me. I'd get in trouble for doing that now...

Hopefully this'll be enough to not only get rid of this company, but also re-examine and follow-up on the companies who have been previously cited and see how well they've been holding up. Logging trucks gimme the heebie-jeebies.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
It's not always the river's fault.
Around here the 2 major trucking routes are the 401 and the QEW. Very heavy truck traffic and according to the news accounts, they have had a problem with wheels coming off. There have been several fatalities that made headlines. The resulting crackdown was a safety blitz that brought to light lots of dangerous safety problems due to poor maintenance. They seem to be watching the trucking industry more closely since the tire fatalities and they are pulling dangerous trucks off the road all the time it seems.
The other big road safety item in the news was all the U Haul rentals that are absolutely deadly. They had one on the news that had a broken rear brake pipe that had been pinched over with pair of pliers and rented out to some young folks for a move. Front brakes only on that truck!
Makes you think when one of those big guys rolls past you doing 75!
Don
quote:
Originally posted by bill h:
Is the driver the only one taking heat for this? Sounds like it goes higher up.

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Don,

If I recall correctly, virtually all of the flying wheels in Ontario were Alcoa buds, not good old-fashioned hub and spoke rims. The problem, as we truckers saw it, was two-fold: The rims were overtighted by using a beefy air-wrench and over-torquing the studs, and therefore weakening them. The second was that--during that period--the state of Ontario roads was deplorable which aggrevated the weakened studs.

The final nail in the coffin is that we in Ontario were allowed to run far higher weights than most other jurisdictions. High weight + Crappy roads + over-torqued studs = flying wheels.