Forums    General Discussions    What are we getting into?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

What are we getting into?
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Hello, we are considering buying a 1972 19" Barth MH, 59,000 miles. Expect a 454 engine and auto.

A big trip coming up, from WNC to Texas in November. Should we do this?

What are the things to service, repair, replace?
We have limited eaperience with RVing, pretty mechanical except for major repairs.
Thanx
Gene & JML

Posts: 2 | Location: Asheville, NC 28802 | Member Since: 10-11-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
With ANY used RV regardless of manufacture, condition and prior maintenance are everything. Big ticket items to inspect are tires (replace every 7 years regardless of tread or appearance), generator if there is one, RV fridge, and roof A/C.

59k miles is pretty low miles for a 40 year old vehicle... if it's been sitting parked in a driveway/field/barn for extended periods of time, expect some fairly considerable maintenance. All belts, hoses, fluids would need to be changed along with tune-up items such as spark plugs, wires, rotor, etc.

Find out all the history you can on the unit. Shorter trips are also recommended to "get your RV legs" early on and work out problems prior to going on a major trip and getting stranded somewhere with no clue on what to do.

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gene&JeanMarie:
Hello, we are considering buying a 1972 19" Barth MH, 59,000 miles. Expect a 454 engine and auto.

Could also be a 350 at that length.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of madrone
posted Hide Post
I would not consider any 40 yr old RV unless someone else had already spent the money for a
TOTAL restoration, what you are getting into is a nightmare.

Posts: 69 | Location: Texas | Member Since: 11-26-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by madrone:
I would not consider any 40 yr old RV unless someone else had already spent the money for a
TOTAL restoration, what you are getting into is a nightmare.

And I guess along those line, I would ask (the OP) what are your expectations of this 1972 rig? If you want something that you can just hop into and drive/vacation in across the country, this probably isn't it. Unless, as mentioned, it's already had substantial upkeep and recent maintenance.

Post some more details (like an online ad, photos, or whatever else you have) on the unit you're considering and some knowledgeable Barth folks here can probably help out greatly with what to expect from that model.

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the quick responses. I've known of the Barth name from having used them for medical Imaging platforms in past years, Mammo and Densitometers, laboratories.

Was somewhat wondering about the 19' model from any owners. I have been considering the class B's, such as Roadtrek, Great West or Pleasureway.

Again, glad to plug into the forum.
Gene&JML

Posts: 2 | Location: Asheville, NC 28802 | Member Since: 10-11-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Make sure the front windshields are 100% and pray you never need to replace them.

That front windshield is unavailable. You'll have to have it custom made in 2 flat sections and it'll look like this.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
I suppose that by now you have seen the coach. If not, consider that I will be in the Robbinsville area the end of this month.
Like you, I knew of the Barth reputation for many years. But, I was not prepared for as much as I had to contend with when I became an owner. I admit that I bit off more than I could chew.
Ironically, I downsized from a 30' Barth diesel pusher to a 19' Pleasure-Way. Although it is also vintage, I am managing things much better. I considered many RT's before I was lucky to find my very nice 1995 PW model STW.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post