Forums    General Discussions    Fractured Quotes - Run on Sentences - Funny Replies
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Fractured Quotes - Run on Sentences - Funny Replies
 Login now/Join our community

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted
I removed this from a post on headlights. The OP of the headlight post was trying to figure out if he should change over to a modern headlight setup.

This has no place in that post... But I didn't want to remove it and be charged with censorship of a legitimate concern.

So as not to step all over his post, I took the liberty of moving this into it's own post for discussion.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
Moved Reply:

Bill NY, I sshould have read all these posts before I went to the chat room. Sorry for usurping your position on fractured quotes. D.

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Moved Reply:

quote:
Originally posted by Dick Dubbs:
Bill NY,
Yes Dick Dubbs.
quote:
I sshould have read...
That's ok, some people just don't like to read very much...
quote:
...all these posts...
You know, I just checked. We have 39272 different posts. That's a lot of posts!
quote:
...before I went to the chat room.
Did you have a good time in the chat room? We talked about a lot of things last night. Sorry most of you missed it.
quote:
Sorry for usurping your position on fractured quotes. D.
What are you trying to say Dick? Big Grin

~ edited 45 minutes later to add the following below ~

quote:
Bill NY, I sshould have read all these posts before I went to the chat room. Sorry for usurping your position on fractured quotes. D.
So... I hop in the shower after responding to this post above and I thought about my reply being done in said fractured response.

Did I miss Dicks point about something? Was he trying to communicate that I took something way out of context?

Dick, I'm relatively sure that when I use fractured quotes I try not to take them out of context... unless of course I am trying to be funny in a reply.

But, if I did take one of your quotes out of context would you please show me where or at the very least you should have put this response in that post so I would know where I went wrong.

Also, when I do respond seriously with a fractured quote it is because...
...I believe that the poster forgot to include proper punctuation.
...Because respondent used a run on sentence and went in several directions at once.
...Because the question was asked in 150 words and my response was very short. Example response would just be "Blue" to the question of sky color only being asked after respondent told us how light was fractured thru the Earth's atmosphere.

If you felt that I took something out of context, I apologize. Sorry

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
Talk about mistakes Bill has fixed more than one of mine and he drives cool service trucks. Smiler All who wander are not lost.

JKB

88 28' Regal 454
Blue/Silver metalflake

Posts: 706 | Location: 103 miles west of Milford & 1.75 Miles from Lincoln oasis on I-80 | Member Since: 01-05-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bill NY. First off, I respect and admire all you do with this site, and recognize your exceptional knowledge and ability handling every topic presented here. However, do I detect a little sensitivity brought about by some PMs from some others who probably have no idea of what it takes to do for us what you do with great dedication. My response re usurping was an attempt at jest.I interpreted your comment, "I call dibbs on these first." To be a humorous reference the '....Barth is a Barth..' fractured quote. I am not quite commputer illiterate and have dial-up srvice so I am rather handicapped. There must have been at least 12 new postings waiting for me after I left the chat room. Had I read them before entering the room we could have had a big LOL, unfortunately that would have been after 1:00AM. I am sorry if I touched a tender spot. I regard this site as a source of friendship, knowledge and humor and regard it, its members and you with great resect. Please foregive my clumsy attempts at humor. Yours in brotherly love Dick.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
P.S. .........I always enjoy the Chat Room.

Picture of jsloan
posted Hide Post
There's a chat room? *perk*

~Jeff~

1984 28' Regal P30

Posts: 148 | Location: Mississippi | Member Since: 09-13-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yours in brotherly love Dick.
No... not at all. I just didn't know if I stepped on your toes either. I wasn't offended as I answered you back, at first, in the same type of humor.

But the more I thought it over, I guess... I guess what I'm trying to say is that sometimes in my attempt at humor I respond but don't take into account that you might be trying to tell me something that you wanted me to take seriously in the first place.

I just wanted to convey that my fractured quote responses are sometimes view in a different light than my intentions.

In my initial response I went over the top to answer you back completely out of context... but then I thought... Maybe that is what Dick is trying to tell me and I completely missed the mark.
quote:
However, do I detect a little sensitivity brought about by some PMs from some others who probably have no idea of what it takes to do for us what you do with great dedication.
Oh yeah... I've got some of those problems and I am trying to fix it... It seems to be paying off but I still have 1-2 issues that seem to be dragging me down.

I have started to ask for some additional help here in certain aspect and have been trying to hire more Czars to do my bidding. Roll Eyes Big Grin

You know what we need? We need a text that is used to convey humor... Or, we need to start using more smilies in our posts Thumbs Up

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
See the top of the main page for a link to the chat room. The "biggest Barth ever" mystery was revealed there last night. My first time in the chat room actually. Wink

On the original topic, everyone seems to have different posting methods and expectations when it comes to online forums. But we're all here for the same reason right? These threads are good for open communication and figuring out where everyone is coming from.

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsloan:
There's a chat room? *perk*
Yes there is... Mary Ray is my Chat Room Czar. Big Grin

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

posted Hide Post
I need to learn how to use that quote between the two lines thing and the emoticons. I finally picked up on those in the chat room. Bill it looks like mutual attempts at humor gone awry. I don't think humor is very funny if we have say "That'a joke son" I try harder or more carefully to make y'all LOL.

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scottydl:
These threads are good for open communication and figuring out where everyone is coming from.
That's just it... I'm pretty much an open book. I learn by being told where I screwed up and I don't really care who knows how I screwed up. Why's that? Because I don't hide anything from anyone and I just assume to get right to the answer so I can shut up, move on or just fix it. Computer

People judge you by your actions after you're told where you went wrong. If the simple act of making something public moves it along or makes someone else realize where I'm coming from... well that's just a bonus. Computer

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
I need to learn how to use that quote between the two lines thing and the emoticons.
There are 3 ways to reply with a quote.

1) In the lower right hand of each post there are 3 items. The first one is a folder with quotes. Click that and you'll be able to reply to the entire quote.

2) Another way is to copy a line of text from the post you which to reply to and then paste that into the 5th box over from the right in your reply box popup.

3) This way may be the easiest. Just highlight the line of text you which to respond to from anywhere in a thread. The simple act of highlighting that text will allow it to be inserted into your new post when you click the "Reply to the Post" tab.

There are other ways, but I believe this should be enough to get you in trouble too. Big Grin

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

posted Hide Post
Sorry Shields Up Thumbs Up cheers wah hoo! look what
I found Red Face

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sorry Shields Up Thumbs Up cheers wah hoo! look what
I found Red Face

A little knowledge can be such a dangerous thang! Sorry

Mick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post