Forums    General Discussions    Anyone seen another one of these?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Anyone seen another one of these?
 Login now/Join our community

"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted
I need some help from some of the Barth Masters. Keep in mind that I am still new at this. After reviewing some of the great information on this site (Thanks Dave!),I believe that my Barth is an '84, 24' Regal (it measures 25 ft bumper to bumper). It is clearly on a p-30 chassis with a GM 6.2 L Diesel (The VIN indicates that the chassis is an '82. But the coach is listed as an '84). Was this a popular model? I have not seen a floor plan list from that year to be able to relate which plan it is. Some questions: Have folks had issues with the GM 3 spd tranny on this model? The third tranny was installed last year and the unit has about 90K miles on it. Should a cooling kit be added? I'm not happy with the shifting from 3rd to 2nd after the engine temp is around 200 F. Any thoughts from the experienced group?

Also, there are air bags for liffting on the front end. What's the right range of air pressure for these?

Thanks for any help.

Posts: 175 | Location: Edgewood, KY, USA | Member Since: 08-26-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Your front springs are shot. They all are. CW sells good replacement springs, by weight. You can limp along with your old saggy springs by blowing up the bags to compensate. You should have approx 1 1/2 inch clearance at the rubber bump stop. Air is a bouncy spring, not as good as metal. Go ahead and bite the bullet and replace the lower ball joints, too. Then get a good alignment job. When you are ready, I will have the alignment specs from IPD scanned in to a file to send you. Or maybe I will post it here.

The GM diesels of that era were particularly hard on trannies, even in cars. I hope yours is a TH400. If not, that is what you need. The TH400 is really tough in a gas coach, but can be improved by a good rebuilder. If you are a wrench guy, a Trans Go kit is good. You need enough cooler to keep the pan temp below 240 degrees. Synthetic fluid will not degrade as badly from heat, but the heat will still hurt the seals. The cooler the better. I like the B&M multi-plate coolers. Install their biggest one and watch the pan temp. If it gets high, put in another.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I need to get at this either this year before the end of the season or early next year. I need to see which trany is there. I'll post more infor when I get it. I will hav ethe coach at the house this weekend.

Posts: 175 | Location: Edgewood, KY, USA | Member Since: 08-26-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Again, thank you for the insight on the spacing with the airbags. I set the spacing to about 1.25". I'll take it out this weekend to the rally in Lexington and see how the ride is over a long distance. The short drive (10 miles) on Sunday was nice.