Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

93 breakaway 30 ft
 Login now/Join our community

posted
I saw the 93 30 breakaway on this site. How does that compare to the one on ppl, besides being two foot longer? I dont know the different models, but the 93 looks a lot fancier. Also it has the cummings engine instead of the gm. I called the owner and left a message. any help would be appreciated. Robert

Posts: 3 | Location: Kalispell, Montana | Member Since: 09-17-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Hi Chauncey, sorry for the late response. I think either coach would do well. The one at PPL has the Chevy 6.5? engine. I have heard folks rave and others swear about it. However, at this time I think the raves are 3 in a row at this point.

This is in contrast to the 30 foot Breakaway which has a Spartan Chassis and a Cummins engine and an Allison 4 speed transmission. This is almost an unbeatable combo. This Cummins 5.9 may seem a little under-powered but you should be able to add about 75 horsepower with a Bank Stinger kit. www.bankspower.com. Plus the economy will be something to write home about.

I am sold on these Breakaways and apparently many other people were since it was the largest selling Barth model along with Regal gas. Which leads me to say that unless you are committed to a diesel take a look at the new 33 foot tag axle Regal that went up yesterday. And, a Banks exhaust system would give you torque approaching the other diesels. However, you will never get the mpg.

------------------
Short cuts always take longer

1985 28 foot Regal
Dave and Deb Bowers

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Larry and Heidi in CA>
posted
Here are Cummins B 5.9 Engine Ratings
B5.9-230 230HP Torque=605@1600RPM
B5.9-210 210HP Torque=520@1600RPM
B5.9-210 210HP Torque=485@1600RPM
B5.9-190 190HP Torque=475@1600RPM

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
1st month member
posted Hide Post
If I were choosing, I'd go for the Cummins.

Posts: 328 | Location: Sovereign Republic of Texas-Beaumont | Member Since: 01-15-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Ditto Eddie, the comparison I look at is that the 454 with headers may roughly approach the 190HP Cummins but at about 2700 rpms rather than 1600 rpms. That means fuel. I have heard claims of 10-15 with the Cummins. And 8 is good with the 454.

------------------
Short cuts always take longer

1985 28 foot Regal
Dave and Deb Bowers

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post