Barthmobile Portal
Barth Advice / Boondocking / Permanent Location

This topic can be found at:
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9331087061/m/7243935497

06-17-2020, 02:35 PM
macrobatic
Barth Advice / Boondocking / Permanent Location
Hello,

New member to the forum. My wife and I are purchasing some land and looking for a shelter solution. We have a 10 yr old and a 5 year old.

While looking for campers etc I came across a 1973 25' Barth Motor Home that is in really nice original condition inside and out. It is older but, I couldn't help but be attracted and thought it might make a good alternative to a modern used camper for a similar cost (About $5,800).

We would drive it to the location and basically get a water hook up and run on generator power until we could get electric to the location. We would use it on weekends and maybe a week at time a few times a year.

Any advice on using the Barth in this manner. We would likely build a canopy cover and add a deck and sort of look at it as a permanent fixture for the long term.

Any input/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Nathan
06-17-2020, 04:01 PM
Harold,Cat&Sam
Howdy and Welcome

Personally , if I were getting something for a stationary use it would be a bumper pull trailer . Probably a 40 foot park model . Put a shed over it , build a deck and you have a nice camp house . Running a generator for extended periods of time is fairly expensive . You can get a small diesel generator that would be more efficient . Solar would be good in a fixed location .
It's not good for any motorized vehicle to sit long periods without being driven .

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW
06-17-2020, 04:53 PM
Duane88
I have a 25 foot Barth Motorhome, I think with 2 kids I would be concerned about a lack of privacy. Just my opinion a bit longer with a bedroom might work better.

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine
06-17-2020, 05:28 PM
macrobatic
Good point on the generator. Within a few months we should have power from the grid but a diesel generator in the meantime is a good suggestion.

As far as space goes, also something to think about. we currently live in a small home and are pretty used to being in a common area and hopefully we will spend most of our time outside in the lovely woods. However, it is a good thing to consider.

I appreciate the feedback and food for thought.
06-17-2020, 07:08 PM
Dana
I have a 72 class A 22 foot. I call her CampBarth! I towed to her camp home. My deer camp. No motor, no transmission, no plumbing, running water is you can run and dip a bucket out of the well as often as you want and run to the Outhouse as often as necessary

Saved her from being scrap. She is now a warm/dry haven for my son and I. What was the bathroom is now sons private bedroom. all bunk all the way across.

My bed is also our couch. I made a sliding back. Pull ahead couch. Push it back and its my bed. This is the area that would have been the dog house and front seats.

Removed the windshields and replaced the with aluminum and insulated. dash is now my clothing area.

Residential Refridge. Sink with a 5 gallon bucket under.

Direct vent propane heater. Runs of a 100 pound propane tank.

All 12 volts lights run off converter and small gel cell 12 volt battery.

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth
06-17-2020, 09:47 PM
Jim and Tere
quote:
Originally posted by Harold,Cat&Sam:
Howdy and Welcome

Personally , if I were getting something for a stationary use it would be a bumper pull trailer . Probably a 40 foot park model . Put a shed over it , build a deck and you have a nice camp house . Running a generator for extended periods of time is fairly expensive . You can get a small diesel generator that would be more efficient . Solar would be good in a fixed location .
It's not good for any motorized vehicle to sit long periods without being driven .

I concur. What's the point of having and engine if you're not going to drive it. For that kind of money, you can get a nice 40' trailer and it will have a lot more living space than the Barth.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny