Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Yikes
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/13
Picture of sk8er32283
posted
Well a week ago the Barth and my home was on the market with no lookers. Today my house has a contract and we have to be out by Dec 31st. So the Barth is off the market now and will be occupied until the military lets us move to Idaho Falls. My family of six(me,wife,boy,girl,big dog and little dog)will be staying in it for the next 3 months or so. I have a couple of questions if anyone would mind answering.

Is there a good cook book for the microwave convection oven? I don't know how much different it is cooking in it.

Has anyone put a screen porch on the main awning before? Are there universal ones? Or maybe a way to make my own so I can save some money.

I am sure I will have more questions later as we get settled into the Coach.

Wish us luck

1988 Barth Regency 38ft
CAT 3208AATC Intercooled
Allison 4 speed w/ air shifter
Gillig Chassis
7.5KW Onan Diesel Generator
Click for Charleston, South Carolina Forecast

Posts: 81 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID(United States Navy) | Member Since: 01-01-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I have a screen room on my awning. It came with my coach. There are pictures here: (the last one shows the inside.)

https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...3105162/m/2913909957

It is called a "Patty O' Room" Made by A&E Systems, division of Dometic.

We really like the extra living space, no bugs, and keeps pets in. I think Danny Z has one too.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5181 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
As for cookbook, I used to use one that came with (or I bought for) a Sharp Carousel Convection/Microwave oven in the 80s or 90s. They are available from Amazon. I suggest you also check nearby brick and mortar used book stores.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=a9...=UTF8&qid=1355582322

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/11
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
There are aftermarket screen rooms available that say they are universal. If you have a Zip Dee awning those rooms may not work without modifications. They are designed to attach to the awning roller tube in a slot. Zip Dee attaches it's fabric around the roller and there are no slots. We have a Zip Dee screen room and it has snaps to attach to the tube.

Ditto on what Mogan said on the cookbook. We found a few different convection cookbooks but the Sharp book is the best.

Tom & Jillene

1988 Regal
28' Chevy 454
8805-3538-28C-B3

Posts: 190 | Location: Crystal River, FL | Member Since: 08-16-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sk8er32283
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for the replies. I think that I have some Sharpe books in all my Barth books. I have to see if it includes the cook book. As for the screen room, I will take a look at camping world for ideas. Any ideas of where else I can look(price comparison purposes).

Has anyone done a tune up(valve lashing, etc.) on their generator before. I am good on the oil change and fuele filter change stuff. I have a 7.5 KW Onan that I want to do a tune up on.

Thanks Again Everyone

1988 Barth Regency 38ft
CAT 3208AATC Intercooled
Gillig Chassis

Posts: 81 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID(United States Navy) | Member Since: 01-01-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sk8er32283
posted Hide Post
Bill N.Y. I just ordered the CD and Binder combo. Please PM me and let me know if it went through. I hope it is good as I am thinking in my head. Please use this picture for the front of the CD.

1988 Barth Regency 38ft
CAT 3208AATC Intercooled
Gillig Chassis

Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
Sometimes places like Goodwill and other 2nd hand stores have all kind of cookbooks i.e. For Sharp Convection

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
Btw crockpot cooking is great for RV too

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
looked for MW/convection cookbook yesterday at a large local used book store. found many old mw cookbooks, but not for convection combination. sorry

Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
The convection oven is almost like a regular oven. It does not brown as good but you preheat and set the temp and bake. Best use glass pyrex plates/dishes. Do you got no instruction at all? I think they are posted under schematics. Just try it. It is nothing special. But use no metal when microwaving but leave the metal turntable in there.

Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mogan David:
looked for MW/convection cookbook yesterday at a large local used book store. found many old mw cookbooks, but not for convection combination. sorry

Sk8er, looked at both of our local GW stores -- again, lots of old obsolete MW cookbooks, none for for the Sharp (or other) convection/MW. sorry

Picture of sk8er32283
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone for taking the time to look locally for the cook books. My son and I are spending our first night in the coach to give her a test run before we officially move in. I was thinking that I would be able to use the metal in these combo microwave/convection oven. Any input on this. Any one know anything about the twist fasteners that get installed on the outside of the coach. Are they universal? What type of metal should I look for? I was thinking stainless but that will be expensive I am sure.

Thanks in advance

Rodney

1988 Barth Regency 38ft
CAT 3208AATC Intercooled
Gillig Chassis

Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mogan David:
Metal in MW oven? NO, although some perfectly round things mysteriously reflect harmlessly without arcing. I have tried some with my finger poised on the STOP button. Generally, consider the Sharp Carousel hybrid a microwave oven with a heat gun stuck into the back. Use Pyrex and Corning ware.

Twist fasteners? to hold external protection on the window? I'm confused. Maybe that coach had some sort of fasteners to hold a big tarp on. The pics the PO sent me two years ago showed damage from a tarp that was not properly secured.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Metal cookware in convection mode is fine. Your turntable should be plastic (or some composite), not metal.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post