Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

gps
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of ryegal
posted
what is a good gps system for my 1975 class c barth?

Proud owner of a 1975 classic class C

Posts: 94 | Location: Seattle,wa,usa | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Whatever you can afford that is made by Garmin. I have several brands and it appears Garmin has become the Microsoft of GPS.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
And good news... you can use it in every vehicle you own, not just the Barth. Wink

I'm a big fan of our Garmin too (Streetpilot C330), still works great and is ~3 years old I believe. Search eBay for refurbished units that are last year's model, you'll get something in brand new condition with updated maps for a fraction of what you'd pay in a retail store.

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
They even make a few models that can go on water or land. I think that will be my next GPS so I can use it in the boat too.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of StinkyDaddy
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Garmin. I have a 265w and love it. When my brother and I went to pick up the trailer we put my Garmin and his TomTom both up at the same time. He told me that my Garmin smoked his TomTom.

Wm.

Bill & Sherrie
'65 Barth Travel Trailer (built in '64)
B1-174-24
'66 Barth Travel Trailer
D11-412-24
www.WilliamMitchellStudios.com

Posts: 549 | Location: Southern Virginia | Member Since: 09-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
I too have a Garmin, it's a StreetPilot c530, that I use primarily in my service truck. I've opted to purchase the lifetime map upgrades too. Both purchases have saved me way more money in productivity than it has cost to purchase.

My only gripe is that when you turn it on, sometimes it takes awhile to get triangulated. I don't know why that would be...

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
sometimes it takes awhile to get triangulated.

My 265WT does the same thing Bill...but only when I fire it up from a location different than the previous shut-down location. I'm told it takes only a nanosecond for the GPS to confirm it's last position, but if it's totally "lost" on start-up, it takes awhile for it to grab sufficient data....

Really like the 265WT....Didn't put much value on the traffic feature at first.....Now I use it more than I thought I would.....

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
The manual for my C330 does say that on a "cold startup" it may take up to 2 minutes to access satellites. Like you guys, I can verify that is certainly the case.

Bill, what did the Lifetime maps cost you? Their Nuvi yearly upgrades are priced at $69.99 and lifetime at $119.99 but I didn't know if that was for all devices. Considering that "new" refurb Garmin's with current maps can be purchased for u nder $100, I still can't justify paying for a map upgrade.

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scottydl:
Bill, what did the Lifetime maps cost you? Their Nuvi yearly upgrades are priced at $69.99 and lifetime at $119.99 but I didn't know if that was for all devices.
Lifetime for $99.00

http://www.newegg.com/Product/...Item=N82E16858998138

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/11
Picture of Tom Loughney
posted Hide Post
I use the 255w, I bought one 3 years ago, worked great for camping and finding lots of stuff. I found campgrounds that 10 years ago I would never have been able to locate. When I came back from Thailand I wanted to update the map which was about 3+ years old, that would cost $89 to update the map. Instead I bought a reconditioned 255W from macmall.com for $99.

Now I have one for Thailand and for the USA. I have both maps.

BTW if you think a GPS is helpful in the USA where everything is written in Engilsh, street signs, business names, etc. Then using the GPS in Thailand where most things are not written in English is wonderful. It will speak in either Thai or English and it has helped me find many places.

I did not get the lifetime update because in 2 or 3 years the technology will have changed again and I will want to have the "better thing"

Also a lifetime guarantee is not worth what it once was!

Tom

Tom Loughney
Barthless....

Posts: 202 | Location: Thailand  | Member Since: 03-31-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
I recently bought a tomtom XXL gps mainly because it had maps of Mexico! I am there now and the mqaps are rather out of date with newer roads not available and many streets in this city :salamanca, gto: are missing. But it really helped last week when driving through Houston at 410 pm multilanes at a average speed of 60mph and being passed by everything. In the USA on the freeways it showed lower speed limits at every intersection-crossover and its idea of a end of a journey was sometimes strange like Birmingham ending downtown opposite a baptist church!! On the whole it kept us on track in our hybrid leaving Halifax Nova Scotia and arriving here 7 days-5700kms including crossing two border meals, and pet friendly motels without any incident except for taking the speed bumps in a small mexican town too fast and having the army trying to flag us down....they are all over looking for drug carring vehicles....but that is just another adventure!
No Barth as yet.....

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post