Forums    General Discussions    UBB Website, Antiquated, Borrowed Time? tick tock
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

UBB Website, Antiquated, Borrowed Time? tick tock
 Login now/Join our community

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted
Because of the prevalent use of mobile devices, and touch screen use across all platforms, this website is considered antiquated by today standards.

Translation: We might have to pack our bags here and migrate to another platform. I have been doing things in the background to try and keep this UBB formatted site accessible to our members. Sadly, the technological advances in all areas have made this task challenging for me.

I'm not a computer programmer, or a digital graphic artist, but I do get by. Almost all of the designs and the non UBB scripts have been done by me.

The latest changes, from the "Save ~ Edit ~ Delete" page, to the new buttons you see below have been designed strictly to further our time on this platform.

~
Quote ~ Edit ~ Topic
Reply ~ Post ~ Alert

Fat fingers do not like the little icons that are required to access certain areas of our boards. If there are other areas that need attention that might work clunky because of touch screens you'll have to tell me so I can try and find a workaround.

Trust me, I'm in no rush to reprogram all of our neat features to get them to work on the newest platform but it just might come down to that.

If you haven't noticed an issue, you're welcome. If you have, I'm sorry. My thoughts are it isn't as bad as the hosting company tells me. So, what do you see? I'd like to know so I can try to address the issues.

However, the drumbeat is getting louder. ♪ ♫ "Let it go, let it go" ♫ ♪ the hosting company sings.

Vain for my efforts? Or perhaps, maybe, I just don't want to see a lot of my work get digitally scrapped... to be continued. Computer Mechanic

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
Bill, cheers Thank you for the website and the time it takes to keep it current with today's standards. Thumbs Up I do not think many members would vote for a new platform or changes. Tin Foil Hat Club We have too much here to chance losing anything. I do appreciate your programming efforts to keep things current. Computer

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
What a mess. Bill, I have had no problems with any site features.

That said, several have heard my user preferences, i.e. "This is a camera, you take pictures with it, you don't talk to it. This is a phone, you use it to talk (not text/surf the web) to people (who are out of sight). This is a computer, you send/receive digital info on it…"

I don't have a Facebook page, I don't tweet, I stopped wearing a watch 20 yrs ago.

Photobucket is a PITA but this site rocks. Thanks for all you do.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/16
Picture of Quinn
posted Hide Post
Will the host migrate the data from this platform to the next? The idea of losing what's here is pretty scary.

89 28' Regal
Quad Bunks
P-30 454
8906-3623-28C-B

Posts: 235 | Location: San Leandro, California | Member Since: 08-06-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
?? I am using a smartphone and touch screen and got no problem except fat finger syndrome sometimes. But then I am a techno luddite

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill, and everyone else for the contributions to this site. I think it's just fine as it is!

Phil

Posts: 13 | Location: SW Minnesota | Member Since: 10-10-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
No data or threads would be loss. It's the stuff like the map and the data tag project. All the links within that project that goes to each member would be useless. Each members avatars and signature profile. Certain links within a post that tells you to check another post would be broken.

Then the learning curve for all parties too. Throw in all of the pictures and drawings. Each forum is different in its own unique way. Lots of coding etc...

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
My PC took a sh--. My I-Phone has been working ok so far.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/10
Picture of bud@YXY
posted Hide Post
My Mac works just fine on the site--- no problems at all! !
Keeping what has been stored should in my opinion override any issues with minor glitches --- if there indeed were any.
You've done an great job keeping this site functioning.

Bud

1993 Breakaway 36ft & 1977 20 ft
Spartan: air ride and brakes & P32(?)
Cummins: 8.3 litre 250hp, PACBrake
Allison 3060 (6 spd)
Front entry, side hallway
7.5 kw diesel gen.
1999 2dr Tracker 4X4 5spd, SMI Braking system

Posts: 253 | Location: Yukon--Arizona and around | Member Since: 06-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
Two statements.......If it is not broke,don't fix it......Don't fix it till it's broken..........Carl

Former owner of "THE TOY"
1988 Barth Regal SE 33' Tag
1992 Barth Breakaway 32'
2005 Coachmen Mirada 32' DS

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carlflack:
Two statements.......If it is not broke,don't fix it......Don't fix it till it's broken..........Carl
That last sentence, can mean two different things Carl. So is it three statements? Because my real job is fixing things, we sometimes "fix it till it's broken". Days of the blunt force object fixing "it" are gone. Mechanic Big Grin

My thoughts are the same as your. I'm asking our members what they see from their standpoint as I'm incapable of checking all operating systems our members use. So, instead of checking all types of cross compatibility issues I just toss it into the wild and let the guinea pigs members try it out.

That is of course after the "Animals In The Basement" pick it apart first. Thumbs Up

The hosting company may one day just stop using UBB and I'll have no choice at that time. I thought it prudent to tell the membership more of this background issue now instead of later and with no warning.

I try to live by this as a mechanic.
quote:
Originally posted by Bill N.Y.:
If you haven't noticed an issue, you're welcome. If you have, I'm sorry.

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/18
Picture of crouch38
posted Hide Post
Bill , Everything is running good on my chromebook. Never had any problems on the site .
Thanks for ALL you do for this site .
Bob

Year:: 1986
Model:: Barth Regal
Length:: 25 ft
Engine:: New Chevy 454 HO
Chassis:: P-30
Data Tag Number:: 8606 3339 25FP2

Posts: 262 | Location: Wampum , Pa | Member Since: 02-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Bill, I use a Chromebook and Tere uses a Surface. No problems. Like it just the way it is. The only thing I would support is an easier way to put pictures on the site. "Support" means financially as well.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of dustyjeeper
posted Hide Post
I too still have trouble with the pics. I have other projects I'd like to post but the pics keep me frustrated. Thanks bill for working to keep this site going.

1978 Barth 17' Cabin Fever
1997 Barth 23' 4 door Command Center

Posts: 505 | Location: LaSalle CO | Member Since: 12-05-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
If you're having an issue with PhotoBucket, or you just don't want to do the extra step required to use PhotoBucket, then just use the "Upload On Our Site" link. I honestly can't make it any easier than that.

I never removed the ability for anyone to upload images here. I've only asked for you to consider using PhotoBucket to save us money.

Everyone should be able to relate to this as the vast majority of our members have cell phones that takes pictures. You know the drill, you exceed the storage capacity and eventually wind up getting the images off your phone by either putting them into your computer, outright deletion, loading it onto your own online storage site like a PhotoBucket, placing them onto a thumb drive or getting a newer phone with even more storage.

But with everything, there's a price to pay for that. Storage of images on the BarthMobile servers equals higher fees for me. But fret not, I'll have one of my minions strip it off of BarthMobile and we'll just upload it to PB ourselves. We then will link it back into your post and usually no one notices the process.

We just recently went through the BarthMobile Attachments and either deleted outright or uploaded them into the bucket for our members enjoyment. It's what we do to give you what you see here.

I have people tell me all the time to just stop giving the members an ability to upload and attach the images onto our plan. Not good for the Barthmobile community as a whole so each time I flatly reject it.
quote:
Typical Exchange:
You really need to disable the direct photo upload. This should be a priority...
Really? No, that's not a priority. I would rather have the images residing on our servers and then be forced to do the extra steps required to save the money. It's far better to have these images than to have someone not post because the PB site is a pain in the rear. Pick what works for you and do it and I'll just keep doing what I do. It's all good Thumbs Up

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis