Forums    General Discussions    Barth Newbie - Sort of...
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Barth Newbie - Sort of...
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted
Howdy...Although I'm newly registered, I've been following these forums for a while.

Due to space constraints (not my RV parking pad, but several large, old oak trees at a sharp turn in my driveway, which I don't want to remove), I've been limited to RVs of no more than 25' (and which I have now).

Anyway, I've nearly solved the "fix the driveway thing without killing a bunch of trees thingy", and intend to step up to a 28-30' M/H. I travel 12-15K miles/year for star parties and visiting relatives.

I tend to be somewhat inclined towards Good Designs even if they're defunct, and the Barths (and even old FMC/MCCs), because of that, have for quite a while, caught my eye. I'm mechanically proficient, and unafraid of Fixing What Needs to be Fixed (The list of what I've done to my pedestrian '88 Class C rambles on for two pages...I can't stand things that don't work).

If you're still awake, I'm attracted to the 30' Breakaways, with the pusher Cummins 190s. When I hit the road, it's just my two Golden Retrievers and me, so berthing is no problem, but I need the storage of the medium M/Hs for my astro-gear.

I have a couple of questions about this piece.

1. What fuel mileage can realistically be expected, and,

2. Is this a naturally-aspirated engine (I suspect it is; I intend to do some "mountaineering", and my current M/H has a wimpy little engine unable to cope with the mountains, and I'd like something a little more robust.)

3. What's the smallest Barth with the Cat 3208 (I love that machine!)

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Hi Rusty,

Welcome to the site. I know you folks are out there. We average some 450 visits a day, and we certainly do not get that many posts.

The Breakaway is probably one of the best mileage coaches out there. The 30 foot is a 22,000lb Spartan Chassis and the 190hp will give you somewhere around 12-14 mpg I think. I have had guys tell me as high as 17 but I don't believe it. However, some of the later models had the 6 speed Allison which would really help. The upgradable 190's came out around 1993.

There are a couple 32 foot Regency's for sale on this website. I think one of them has the CAT 3208T and the other is Cummins. 32 foot was the shortest CAT/Gillig combo I have seen.

------------------

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited October 04, 2005).]

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Thanks - a 32' is a bit excessive for my needs (I say that now, but who knows)

The 28 would be perfect, but being an old swabbie, I just prefer diesels (too bad the 28 pusher was put on that ridiculous SWB chassis).

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
well bein an ol swabie myself im sure u have heard the old sayin of "no matter how big u boat is, sooner or later its gonna b 2' to short an 1' to narrow" dont worry about a few extra ft, u will fill them up in no time lol

Posts: 4 | Member Since: 03-01-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Well, I still have to watch the max beam, so's I can sill fit it through the Panama Canal...

posted Hide Post
Say Rusty:

I own an '84 MCC, 36', with a Detroit 8.2. I love the machine, but do sometimes regret getting something over 30' because many of the National Forest-type campgrounds that we love won't let units larger than 30' in. We've had to rethink many of our favorite trips. That said, we had a 27' SOB prior, and it ended up being way too small. Would a 30' be enough? I don't know... I sure do like the space in our 36'...

A Regency, late 80's, early 90's... that would be the unit with a 3208 CAT. I think they came 32' That would be the ticket, because they are a bit wider than a Breakaway. Frankly, I'd avoid the pre-93 CUMMINS motor. See posts about engine refinements, BANKS' kits, etc. Personally I think of the Breakaways as "baby Barths"... the Regency being the "better" unit. But, "better" is relative, and a Breakaway is a fine machine indeed, I'd not be ashamed to have one, but it would be a late 93 or 94, for sure.

The MCC units are a real bargain, but they are 36' only, as far as I know, and that 8.2 Detroit is no dreamboat motor... great on fuel, I get 11-14, but under powered. Not bad if you drive like a trucker, using momentum to help you up hills, etc. (ie. haul *** down the hill to make it up the next, etc.) They are a special breed, though, and are the oldest Regencys, and therefore, the ones most likely to need tinkering often... however, there is a post about a fellow that bought a 90 Gillig Regency, and he seems to have many complaints... more so than anyone I've heard with an MCC rig... things not working, thousands of dollars of "deferred maintenance", etc. I guess if you're buying a 15+ year old unit, it all depends on how well the unit was maintained.

Good luck, let us know how it's going,

Duteman

Posts: 159 | Location: Newington, CT USA | Member Since: 06-02-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of Barths to look at, including stringmann's near Atlanta, and another south of me (30' Breakaway). I'm used to the Preservation of Momentum in driving, as my Class C is no powerhouse, and my truck is a naturally-aspirated LWB 1-Ton diesel.

I'm gravitating toward what you suggested - waiting until I can afford a '93-'94 30' Breakaway with the Cummins or the Cat 3208 or 3116. I intend to make some trips out West next year, and something over the stock 190 HP/4speed Allison would be nice.

As for tinkering, I have the time and experience to do that. Thankfully, on my current motorhome I'm down to a couple of minor things to do. And since it runs well and everything works (today, anyway), I can afford to wait to buy its replacement.

I'd prefer not to have to settle for a Plastic Pig...

posted Hide Post
Rusty:

The '90 32' Regency that is on the site seems like a really nice rig... Cummins motor, a DIESEL gen set (mine is propane), and all the Regency goodies. I personally don't like the "table and chairs" seating, as I like a dinette's ability to fold down to a bed if need be, but you seem to not need that, so a table and chairs could be perfect. the price... under 30k, seems really good too.

But, 32' is 32'.

Good luck whatever way you go,

D

Posts: 159 | Location: Newington, CT USA | Member Since: 06-02-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
32' is a bit big - the only thing I don't like about that one, however, is the dark interior. At star parties, red lights are used to maintain some degree of night vision. Red lighting in a dark interior disappears, and makes it like a cave.

posted Hide Post
Rusty:
Yeah, that red interior does seem a bit odd. I have a dark brown one, so I know what you mean. Star parties! Wow... back in the SOB days I was seriously considering mounting an observatory dome on the roof of the rig. then thought better of it. Park it in the right place and scope out the window! Here in the northeast we find very few clear places to stargaze... but a GREAT one is "Pillsbury State Park" in the southwest corner of New Hampshire. Local spot, off the beaten path... WAY off! One has to WANT to go there to get there. Truly some of the clearest spots I've ever been... and I lived in Alaska for ten years! Almost no light pollution, only a tiny glow from Keane, and sky so clear we could see our own Galaxy's spirils with the naked eye. Incredible. Problem there is that with our 27' SOB we were pushing it, and there were only 3 or 4 spaces that could accomodate even that rig. We are out of luck with our new one... I've seriously considered buying a small rig too, just for places like that.

Again, enjoy the chase, that's almost as satisfying as getting the thing!

D

posted Hide Post
PS... as far as I know the breakaway never came with a CAT. Just the 190 "small block" (AKA "disposable") CUMMINS and it's later iterations.

The CUMMINS in that red-interior REGENCY is, I believe, the 'big block" CUMMINS, (also known as the "real" CUMMINS) it's like one in a semi, not like a DODGE pickup. Now these are truly multi-million mile motors, the small ones, 3-400000.

To get a 3208 I believe you have to get a REGENCY. Dave? Can you correct me if I'm mistaken here?

D

Picture of beeoh
posted Hide Post
We have a 1994 (new to us) 30ft. Breakaway with the Cat 3116 engine and 5 speed allison. So I know at least one was made with Cat power. Very nice balance of power and handling. Not sure of the fuel economy just yet but will after next trip.

Posts: 196 | Location: Qualicum Beach,Vancouver Island | Member Since: 06-20-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
There's also a '94 30' Breakaway in the for-sale forum with a Cat 3116 and a 6-speed Allison, but at 45 Kilobucks, outta my league....

Edit - it's (for some reason) in the Barths Sold forum, and it's a 5 spd (woulda swore it was an MD 3066....)

[This message has been edited by Rusty (edited October 03, 2005).]

posted Hide Post
Wow! Now that's cool. These were truly custom built. Very nice to see the 3116/Allison combination. That would be a good rig, for sure!