Forums    General Discussions    Breakaway / XL / Regency questions...
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Breakaway / XL / Regency questions...
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/23
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted
Soooooo..thought I'd start a new thread for all to chew on..
I suppose history repeats itself on this subject.. feel free to direct me to various forum links that deal with the questions below...

So I have some sort of Breakaway or Breakaway XL but not a Regency... ooooor not.. hmm

NADA says the following for Barth 34' 's

1988: Regency no motor designated
1989: 2 ea Regencies Det 205/230 hp ****
1990: 3 ea Regencies Cat 250/300 Cummins 240 hp
1991: 4 ea Regencies hp only 240/250/300/350
1992: 3 ea Regencies hp only 240/250/300
1993: 2 ea Regencies hp only 250/300
1993 also shows a Breakaway side entry @ 33.5'
1994: 2 ea Regencies hp only 250/300
1994 is first mention of Breakaway XL's 30', 33' & 36'

so what gives in the 34' range if no Breakaway's were ever built.. **** so of course, I later was watching that youtube vid on barth's and lo and behold, it says breakaways started in 1989/90 but no 34's still..

nada just not advised by the manufacturer ? Does the Kelly Blue Book show anything different..?

Do folks with Breakaways prior to 1993 actually have the documentation from Barth showing this Breakaway name designation..?

and are we saying that possible windshield wiper and clearance light placement are enough to ID a Breakaway from a Regency? Seems there should be something more substantial.. sorry blunt newby ? here..

place an emoticon showing a dog not letting go of a bone here....

M/C-W

1991 early XL-style (maybe 1 of 2?) Breakaway... but prior to that actual (XL) designation...
2nd Breakaway w/Cat 3208T 250 hp motor 4 spd MT643 Allison trans Gilig Air suspension chassis/brakes
Data Tag: 9010 3694 34-BG-1B

Posts: 425 | Location: Coachella Valley, SoCalif... | Member Since: 08-23-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
could someone explain the differences in wiper placement that might indicate a Breakaway instead of a Regency.. is that air vs electric wipers or something else..is that small hose or ? at each wiper location,an air supply?

I see mine are even with the 'grip rails' where the other ones are lower mounted..

I'm looking at mine:

vs this one: 8903 0119 in the Regency data tag project/table/section..

M/C-W

1991 early XL-style (maybe 1 of 2?) Breakaway... but prior to that actual (XL) designation...
2nd Breakaway w/Cat 3208T 250 hp motor 4 spd MT643 Allison trans Gilig Air suspension chassis/brakes

Posts: 425 | Location: Coachella Valley, SoCalif... | Member Since: 08-23-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
Ah but you did not even consider the Aristocrat. There are many unanswered questions. There was a new designation lineage occurring. Check out my and Richard Muise Barths. I have documentation that we are the 2 Aristocrats known. Are there more? Maybe

If we were ever able to reclaim the records held by one individual. My hope is someone or something will bring that man clarity to return the records to us so we may all benefit.

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
One of the difficulties in identifying various Barth models is that Barth rarely (if ever) attached model info to any coach.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
We spent a lot of time delving into the numbers on Barth's. I chatted at length with several people who built these coaches.

From what a gathered and pure numbers crunching I wrote up the best "Forensic Accounting" I could of these data tag numbers.

Scroll Down to The Barth Data Tag - 1963 ~ 1998

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
a PM from bill to me,
better to have everyone getting the info ( ok-ed by Bill to post here..)

quote:
Originally posted by Bill N.Y.:
My thoughts on the Breakaway V Regency is that the Breakaway is what replaced the Regal. They just put the engine in back to remove the floor hump.

The Regency was the higher end model and yours most closely resembles that definition. It's just that your body style of the radius roof and front cap makes it more akin to the Regal, Breakaway models.

Breakaway XL is the closest thing I can find that other coaches in your body style and weight rating is.

The body is clearly NOT a Regency but that doesn't mean that Barth didn't build it as such on the inside.

You might even find an electrical schematic that says Regency. The problem is they used that same schematic on several coaches.

The 34BG stands for Breakaway Gillig.

Go to the Regency models and you'll see 34RG or 34RDG

Regency Gillig or Regency Diesel Gillig.

interesting info..

M/C-W

Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
the one just before mine in the data base is as follows:

9008 3687 34BG 1B 8/29/90
91 Breakaway Gillig
Cat 3208
Jerry & Carol Kraiss

are these folks still members?

i'd like to see what paperwork they had..looks like ours are the same specs...

M/C-W

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike/Cindi W:
a PM from bill to me,
That answer was given after I received the following query.
quote:
Originally posted by Mike/Cindi W:
Still aiming on gathering information on mine that will qualify it as a regency..
I'm not in the habit of trying to answer questions like this in the PM setting as I would rather be transparent and informative for all members. Also, if I make a mistake I'd rather be called out and straightened out than it being left to "one man's opinion" on a particular subject.

Delving into the data tag numbers show that the Breakaway took over where the Regal left off. Talking to the Barth Employees confirmed that Barth's direction was to move away from the doghouse cover and to give a more spacious floorplan with front entry. Something that the Regal's could not offer with their engines up front.

Being a second hand owner from an estate sale, purchasing a coach that doesn't have factory support, talking to people on a website who's giving you their best opinion on the matter. Can't be easy I guess.

We had one coach that was a Breakaway posing as a Regency awhile back. That one was blatantly obvious as it had hydraulic brakes. Yours having air brakes is making this one more complicated.

Your data tag clears it up. BG is Breakaway Gillig for that year range. BS is Breakaway Spartan. Regency would have been RG for Regency Gillig or RDG for Regency Diesel Gillig

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
tom taylor also had a Breakaway/Regency - which turned out to be the former (as well as a VIN issue, which got solved).

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok now I'm really confused help
I don't know what I have now
Coach # 9203-3794-30BS11B
If anyone knows let me know
Also the coach I bought is in gallery #8 top center coach its blue with dolphins on it
Let me know thanks

Posts: 132 | Location: Ruskin flordia | Member Since: 08-06-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill N.Y.:
The 34BG stands for Breakaway Gillig.
Go to the Regency models and you'll see 34RG or 34RDG
Regency Gillig or Regency Diesel Gillig.
BS is Breakaway Spartan.

quote:
Originally posted by Evan:Ok now I'm really confused

Evan, join the club

Your Data Tag says: 30BS11B which is a 30' Breakaway on a Spartan Chassis, floor plan 11B

check here..
1992 Breakaway Brochure..

M/C-W

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Two of the (Probably unreliable) clues to differentiate Regencies from Breakaways is that the Regency center console is angled toward the driver, and the roof radius is 12" on the former and 6" on the latter.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke