Tools
Reply To This Topic

tire pressure
 Login now/Join our community

"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/11
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted
I have been using 100psi air pressure in my Goodyear 22.5 tires (front & rears). The suggested tire pressure for these tires and also by the installer.

I just came across an old Motor Coach News (by Leslie Hoagland) that I had folded & placed behind some other service papers. In reading it I found that Leslie states to use 80psi air pressure, front & rears, on the MCC/Regency with Michelin tires for the best ride & drive.

I do know at 80psi, there will be more foot print on the road and of course a more stable drive.

Maybe dropping mine down to 90psi would be alright.

Just wondering what tire pressure others are using in their MCC/Regencies.

Jim

1985 Barth Regency 35ft
DD 225hp Ally-trans-4 speed.

Posts: 457 | Location: Port Charlotte Florida USA | Member Since: 06-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
I do know at 80psi, there will be more foot print on the road and of course a more stable drive.

You should try to find the Barth recommended pressure for your rig. Generally stated on a plate mounted?? somewhere.

Too low of pressure my improve ride, but can cause overheating and premature tire failure, or worse, blowout. The last Wanderlodges that were made, the 450LXi, had a blowout issue on the front tires and the fix was to inflate to a higher pressure. Be aware, often the fronts and rears are recommended at different pressures.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
The only true way to get the correct tire pressure is from the manufacturer of your tire, Michelin in this case. You must also know the weight of your RV fully loaded, individual corner weights (each tire's responsibility) is best, but weighing each axle is a good second plan. An axle weight can be divided by 2, to give you an average corner weight for front or back.

Truck stops and gravel pits usually have scales you can use, some free and some for a small fee. Get the weights, and then consult the manufacturer's inflation tables (usually available online) to find the corresponding PSI. Here is Michelin's "Load and Inflation Tables" website.

Any tire shop "recommendation" is just a number thrown out there. No service person or even the manufacturer can tell you the best PSI to use, unless they know the weight of each corner or each axle on your RV.

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
The recommended tire air pressure found on the Barth factory specs. plate list 75psi for the front and rear tires. This is for a 1985 Barth MCC/Regency.

Now with that info. and the one suggested by Leslie (an expert on the Barth Regency) I would surmise 85psi-90psi would be a good range.

The 100psi I have been using seems to give it a hard ride however like Cory said if you run them too low there are risks. Side wall damage and blow outs due to extreme heat build up.

Any further thoughts or facts by anyone?

Jim

Posts: 457 | Location: Port Charlotte Florida USA | Member Since: 06-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like 85 psi. A better ride and well into the safe zone versus the Barth recommendation. Who is Leslie?

Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
Corey,

Leslie was the owner of Motor Coach Restorations located in Il. He had improved and redesigned many of the Barth Regency parts. He purchased a lot of the Barth parts when Barth went belly up.

He used his skills to improve the braking systems, the shocks, front end kits, and rewiring.

This guy was a gentleman and you could call him just about anytime and he would give advise on upgrades and what to do if you had a problem with your MCC or Regency. He even told me he extended a 35 ft Regency by 10ft ,now that's a special built Barth.

Leslie died a few years back after a long hard battle with cancer.

Jim

posted Hide Post
Very interesting. And here we thought Bill had the longest Barth at 40' hmm

posted Hide Post
An expert on "Barth" does not necessarily mean an expert on whatever tires you have installed. That's why manufacturer recommendations can be wrong, once the factory tires are replaced. Plus it all depends on what all you have loaded in the RV, and/or any aftermarket equipment or furniture add-ons that may change the estimated factory weight that might be on the data plate.

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
C'mon, folks. Get the coach weighed and use the tire builders' figures. The Barth label figures are long superceded. Or at least use the data tag numbers and use the tire builders' specs.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Get the coach weighed and use the tire builders' figures.

What or where are the tire builder's figures? Do the tire guys have suggested pressures against weight? I am not aware of that, but sounds interesting. I only know of the tire builder's maximum allowed pressures, but it doesn't seem prudent to run everything at maximum.

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
There are tables of load/psi in some of the P30 archives. Bridgestone has charts on their website. The 8 X 19.5 have data from about 70 up to max 110 psi as I recall.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Moonbeam-Express:
What or where are the tire builder's figures? Do the tire guys have suggested pressures against weight? I am not aware of that, but sounds interesting. I only know of the tire builder's maximum allowed pressures, but it doesn't seem prudent to run everything at maximum.

See my first post above. I explained it in basic detail and included a direct link to Michelin's "Load and Inflation" tables, for the OP's benefit since he mentioned having Michelin's. Almost every major tire manufacturer has these charts available for free online. Just takes about a minute of Googling.

And you're right, tires should not be run at maximum PSI unless the RV weight requires it. Otherwise you will experience a harsher ride, reduced traction, and unevenly-worn tires.

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Here's the Bridgestone stuff:

http://www.trucktires.com/brid...d_pdf/loadTables.pdf

For my 8R19.5 tires the Barth data plate calls for 70 psi which puts the coach weight right at the max load weight for that psi.
I run 80-85 to keep them from flexing and heating as much but not too rough
(Still rough P30 but not too rough!)

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
C'mon, folks. Get the coach weighed and use the tire builders' figures. The Barth label figures are long superceded. Or at least use the data tag numbers and use the tire builders' specs.

I second this comment!! I was surprised how close I was empty to the max weight specified! I was 19,300 measured and the tag spec is 20,000 for my Breakaway. I currently am running 225R70 19.5 LRG Michelin and I run the tires at near max, 105 psi .

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post