Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Seat Belts and Secured Chairs
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Frank Strong
posted
My 94 Regency has a chair behind the passenger seat that is not secured to the floor and my wife is very safety concious. She thinks that we should add another chair with seat belts but I find that Camping World and others will not address the seat belt problem.

I am wondering what other folks are doing? Some of the new RV's have the secured with seat belt chair but many still do not and I understand that the RV makers are not required by law to supply the security.

My wife's threatening to fly if I don't do something!!!

Help! Help!

Frank Strong
1994 Regency 34ft
300 HP Cummins, 6 spd Allison
Spartan MM Chassis

Posts: 125 | Location: Walthall, MS/Ocoee, FL (Orlando area) | Member Since: 03-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Founder and Moderator Emeritus
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
It is my understanding that on new coaches all chairs that are attached to the floor and that face forward must have seat belts.

I am sure CW doesn't talk about it because they do not want to imply responsibility. It doesn't make sense to have seat belts for a chair that isn't attached to the floor and barrel chairs would kind of be unusable if they were.

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I had a Southwind with swivel chairs attached to the floor. They had seat balts. There was a placard on the wall by each chair saying, "Seats not to be occupied while vehicle is in motion."

Perhaps they were cocktail chairs and the belts were for safety while sipping cocktails. Smiler

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Strong:
My wife's threatening to fly if I don't do something!!!
Is there something wrong with the passenger side seat? Are you looking for a total of three seat belted seats?

You could pick one up from a junkyard van and bolt it to the floor and put the seatbelts in that. That's the only way to do it. You can't mount a barrel seat to the floor and strap seatbelts into it and then tell her it's a safety belt unless you have no problems s-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g the truth.

Putting a barrel seat on the ground and then attaching seat belts is like putting in a folding chair with seat belts.

In my coach I installed a fold down table just behind the passenger side seat and then bolted down a van seat behind that. The passenger seat doubles as another chair when spun around for the fold down table. Will that work for you?

Bill N.Y.

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Help! Help!!

Flexsteel sells recliners and other chairs, with or without seatbelts, mounted on pedestals that bolt to (or through) the floor. They are really nice AND they are safe.

"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gunner:
... mounted on pedestals that bolt to (or through) the floor.
I should have been more specific. Pedestal seats from anything. I had mine reupholstered to match and it's mounted on a pedestal base. I would recommend mounting them through the floor. If you only mount them to the floor they could get torn out in an accident.

The floor on my Barth is 3/4 plywood with insulation under that. The insulation is sandwiched between "I beams" and then sheet metal covers it up. I drilled 4 holes for the pedestal through the plywood floor the exact size as the pedestal bolt holes. From underneath I used a Sawzall and cut through the sheet metal. I then installed a filler 2x4 board between the "I beams" and then used some "C channel" to bridge the "I beams".

This makes for a nice sturdy hold down without wearing down or cracking the plywood base. All of this was done inside of a storage box and the wide "C channel" covered up the 2x4. After all that I cleaned up the surface rust and repainted the interior boxes with a nice Rustoleum light grey paint.

Bill N.Y.

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post