Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

How are new RV's made
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Fred & Cindy
posted
Only have had my Barth about a year... our first RV. Feels good knowing it has a solid aluminum frame and covering. What's interesting is that all the newer ones you see going down the highway appear to be shinny metal too. How are they really made and how does that compare to our Barths?

Fred & Cindy
1990 32' Regency, 8.3 Cummins

1990 32' Regency, Wide Body
Spartan Chassis, 8.3 CTA Cummins
4 Speed Allison Trans
South Central Missouri

Posts: 356 | Location: Missouri | Member Since: 06-24-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Most all have FRP (Fiberglass Reinforced Plastic) sheathing, some over a minimal steel frame. Others, like Newell, have a much more robust frame. Bluebirds were all steel.

Some are framed with wood, and I've seen one video of a manufacturer using #4 pine.

Older Safaris had an all-aluminum superstructure, but the frames are spaced twice as far apart, and they use pop rivets as opposed to Barth which used buck rivets and shaved-head rivets.

Newer Beavers have FRP above the beltline and aluminum below.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
Many lower-mid range motorhomes (the majority of them you see on the road) are often termed "stick and staple" when it comes to manufacture. The framing is made of thin studs (compared to a house), exterior fiberglass and interior paneling to cover, and all held together with a whole bunch of staples and glue. Not the most robust materials, especially for a huge box bouncing down the road! It's a cheap way to put them together, and works decently for the lifespan of most RV's.

Many higher-end units have aluminum and steel construction, as mentioned above. Those (like Barth) are your "lifetime" RV's that never seem to out of style!

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/09
Picture of Lance Walton
posted Hide Post
A couple years ago I saw two interesting videos about RVs. The first was for a 30 plus foot Jayco trailer and they were proud that it was made in about 48 hours. It was definitely "stick and staple".
The second was for a Newell and it took about ten months to build. It was a very stout aluminum/steel frame. I think the shell was fiberglass but of a much higher quality than most. Of course that particular Newell was a special build but I believe nearly all their coaches are.
Just thought I'd add my two cents worth.

Lance & Sue Walton
Previous owner of a
1993 38ft Regency
Cummins 6CTA8.3 300HP
Allison MD3060 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Loveland, CO

Posts: 229 | Location: Loveland, CO | Member Since: 06-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post