Forums    General Discussions    Crashcourse checklist on 1st Barthmobile purchase needed please!
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Crashcourse checklist on 1st Barthmobile purchase needed please!
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Hello all!
I am 30 hours from the potential purchase of a 25 foot Rat Motor powered Barthmobile. I have talked extensively with the owner and have seen just a few photos to know this might be a cool vehicle for me. It has sat most of it's life, less than 10,000 miles on this 1978 model. It has dual A/C units, a generator (I think) and missing only the original fridge. Rest of interior is near spotless and just cosmetic exterior cleanup is needed.

Brakes are locked up and I am sure I will re-do system completely. I basically need to know of inspection items that I should check in advance of laying out the cash. Aside from testing A/C and electrical functions, are there classic problems with plumbing, window/roof sealing or heating system that I should be made aware of? I am a transmission/engine builder so I am not too worried about the mechanicals of this vehicle due to it's low mileage.

Clock is ticking and I will see this Barthmobile for the first time in just over a day with cash in hand. Help me make the right decision!

Thank you in advance.

PS...Price is a cannot-pass-up number!

Posts: 1 | Location: Waukesha, Wisconsin | Member Since: 04-30-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
David, I am sorry there is no "Crash Course" for a buyers check list. There is plenty of information and hundreds of pages here on repairs and upgrades. It is up the buyer.
You can start HERE Perform an advanced search and start reading a few selected topics. You will get the information you need, but remember "Rome was not built in a day"
Good luck with your purchase.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
http://changingears.com/rv-checklist-inspection.shtml

"so I am not too worried about the mechanicals of this vehicle due to it's low mileage."
!!FOOLHARDY!!
"Price is a cannot-pass-up number!"
Only if they are paying you a lot of money to burden yourself with it.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Sitting idle is the worst thing for machinery. Even if gifted to me, I'd decline.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of L78steve
posted Hide Post
Stored under cover or out in the elements with weeds growing around it?

Posts: 194 | Location: Hendersonville NC | Member Since: 02-02-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
If this is the one in Madison I would say from the pics it looks nice. Make sure it is 10,000 and not 110,000. Plan on 3gs to make it fully roadworthy. Tires, belts, hoses, brakes, lines, fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel lines, water pump,radiator,exhaust ,batteries and engine tune up, plugs wires and carb rebuild. That's before the bug hits to put Tri wye headers and Bilstine shocks on. Water pump and lines need checked along with water heater and furnace. None are deal breakers, Just be honest with how much work you want to put into it. Most Barth coaches are worth the effort and money if you plan on enjoying them.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David H. Pruszka:
Are there classic problems with plumbing, window/roof sealing or heating system that I should be made aware of?

Yes, yes, and yes. Not really "classic" problems, but anything sitting that long is going to potentially need everything replaced that is made out of rubber. Belts, hoses, window seals, TIRES especially (and most expensive), etc.

Being a mechanic is a great start because labor won't be expensive, but it will still be a VERY time intensive project with lots of material/parts purchases potentially needed.

For a buyer's checklist of used RV, I'd recommend my other internet RV home... RVforum.net.

Main page here: http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php

Then click on Library, and there are lots of articles and checklists for things to check out & familiarize yourself with.

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post