Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

test drive
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
Funny,..you know this was a Pepsi commercial, completely staged.
It does remind me of a time way, way back when I had a try at selling autos. 1959 model year, Chevy agency. with of course a used car dept. As a salesman I spent some time on the used car lot. Since I had a little foreign car experience, a little rare in those days, I was the informal "sports car expert" our agency did have a SAAB and BMC franchise, so we had various tradeins of "exotic cars". Corvettes were bringing Jags and other different cars as trades. We had an almost new, and the model was pretty new then, a 6 cylinder Austin Healy on the lot. A well off sport wanting to upgrade his image and turn eyes at the country club showed some interest in the Healy. I offered to take him out to show him what it was all about. I know he already had the tweed cap and the car coat all set up in his mind. Any way I digress. I pulled the car around to the front and showed (assisted) him how to board one of these fine little roadsters. I liked this car by the way, except for the notorious Healy minimal road clearance, again I digress. After we settled in and I pointed out the gauges and features, tach and real other clocks, sans idiot lights, we proceeded through town toward the interstate were we could "let it out a little".We turned up the on-ramp and I showed him how to run through the gears (there may have been five, four was a big deal at that time.) Anyway... and I know this is going to be an anti climatic ending to this long winded reverie. I put the hammer down and speed shifted up to about 3rd as we entered the clear highway, I was just getting ready to really pour on the coal when I glanced at the speedometer, it showed 105 and the dude showed next to pass-out. 55 MPH was the max in those days and 50 over was more than most could handle in those days. Oh for those days and the winter with SAAB GT's I think I thrilled a few potential customers with those too. Now I'd settle for an MG TF 1500 or a Triumph TR-3A.

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
Dick, are you saying the salesman was in on it?

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dick, are you saying the salesman was in on it

I suspect the whole thing was scripted. I don't think a major corporation would undertake something like this without waivers of/from liability.

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post