Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

What's it worth
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
Rusty, Jim may be referring to the Kelley Blue Book. Yes the NADA books are yellow with blue print, and sometimes called the blue book. The comparison is located here. In my opinion the Kelly Blue Book will have a lower price on its listed vehicles.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was not sure, but always thought "National Automotive Dealers Association" values came from actual sales. Here is a direct quote form the NADA frequently asked questions page. "The data sources used to determine the used car values are actual auction and retail sales transactions, asking price information, as well as numerous macro- and micro-economic factors."
With the above statement in mind, we can see how the published information becomes obscured. How can you base a value of a vehicle when the actual retail sale is obscured to begin with?
Most states charge sales tax when vehicles change hands. Tax rate is based on the actual selling price. Buyers and sellers generally agree to lower the sales price to lower the tax. This lowered agreed price then lowers the value posted by the "value guides" like NADA.
We can keep the obscured posted value in mind when purchasing any vehicle. As some have said in other posts "Value Guide Publications," are just base lines for consumers. True value comes from the "beauty is in the eye of the beholder." My dad said if you want it and have the resources, "just buy it."

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
The "Recreational Vehicle Blue Book" has been published since 1936. You have to buy a membership. I don't know anybody who has done this so maybe one of our Barth folks knows something about it. It sounds like a pretty expensive thing. A single view is $21.95. The whole book is $159.95. Don't know anything more, but they do list Barth as one of the manufacturers covered.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe the library would have RV blue book?

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/23
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
RV values online..

M/C-W

1991 early XL-style (maybe 1 of 2?) Breakaway... but prior to that actual (XL) designation...
2nd Breakaway w/Cat 3208T 250 hp motor 4 spd MT643 Allison trans Gilig Air suspension chassis/brakes
Data Tag: 9010 3694 34-BG-1B

Posts: 425 | Location: Coachella Valley, SoCalif... | Member Since: 08-23-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
That's the one I was referring to.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post