Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Need information
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
The bunk bed windows would make me believe that it has to be the same coach as "Bison".

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve VW:
There is a Service manual for the 1986 chassis here: (yours will be very similar to the 86)

Awesome,thank you!

https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...893991167#4893991167

Chapter Five concerns brakes

The master cylinder is in the left front wheel well area. Check level there first. If it is full then the problem with the master cylinder or the Hydroboost system. This system gets pressure from the power steering pump. Be sure the power steering is working (Belts, hoses, fluid)

If the cylinder is low there is a leak. Could be lines, hoses, calipers or cylinders. Inspect carefully. Be sure to bleed the system after servicing.

Posts: 12 | Location: Oklahoma | Member Since: 04-03-2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve VW:
There is a Service manual for the 1986 chassis here: (yours will be very similar to the 86)

https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...893991167#4893991167

So if the engine wasn't running you'd have no brakes?

Chapter Five concerns brakes

The master cylinder is in the left front wheel well area. Check level there first. If it is full then the problem with the master cylinder or the Hydroboost system. This system gets pressure from the power steering pump. Be sure the power steering is working (Belts, hoses, fluid)

If the cylinder is low there is a leak. Could be lines, hoses, calipers or cylinders. Inspect carefully. Be sure to bleed the system after servicing.

A thread on front brake service here:

https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...413963477#5413963477

Posts: 12 | Location: Oklahoma | Member Since: 04-03-2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
If the power steering hydraulic pressure is too low, both the power steering and the brakes will be compromised. Belt slippage, low power steering fluid level and leaking pressure lines can all reduce braking power.

There is a small hydraulic reservoir along side the master cylnder that holds some pressure when the engine is not running but not much. One or two stops.

More discussion here:

https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...693989597#4693989597

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5156 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies, I'll just have to look everything over and try and get her running to find out what's working and what's not.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Have had the good fortune to have two Barths similar in age to yours that were in storage for years.

Both needed new master cylinders and front brake lines (passenger side was blocked on both) both have hydraulic boosters as Steve said, but they were fine. Both needed front brake pads, was able to reuse the calipers on both.

Your unit can have either disc or drum rear brakes, mine were both drum both needed adjustment but other than some rust they were ok. My experience says not to remove the drums initially, try to adjust them first, and do that job another day.

The job is not to bad, removing the front lines is kinda a pain but other than that pretty straight forward unless the rotors are shot. The rear drums are a pain to remove, have to take the axles out, putting them back is tricky to get aligned back right so they slide in third member and you will need new seals. Rockauto.com has all the parts and a nice selection too.

One guy with just a little mechanical ability like me should not take more than a day or two to get good brakes on your unit.

The biggest problem on both of my projects was getting good clean fuel to the carburetor. Your unit has an in-tank fuel pump and an external regulator. Pretty sure the tank is very contaminated and the electric fuel pump is not working, one of my projects required the fuel tank to be dropped cleaned, and a new fuel pump. There are several approaches to this search the site and pick the method you would like the best.

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2041 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keith Hopper
posted Hide Post
My '87-8 Regency tail lights are Airstream and available

1988 Regency
38' Gillig
3208 T Cat

Posts: 161 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia | Member Since: 03-21-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dana:
Missing tail lite lenses would be a problems they are no longer made and no stock anywhere. Otherwise looks to be in pretty good condition. (Not buried on flat tires).

Closer look, believe the red and clear lens are all there, just the picture does not show them very well. Easy to see the attachments.

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2041 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post