Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

The Spring Ritual
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of chrisW
posted
Interesting trip!

We took the Barth down to Watkins Glen for a weekend track event as the maiden run for the season. I go through the same cycle each year – fear of what has to be fixed when I get it out of its winter coma. Then I give it the once over and find that everything still works and only very minor things need fixin’ – this year it was a small air leak and one bolt holding up the generator exhaust. The last part of the ritual is driving it and once again realizing what a nice piece of work these things are!

We parked next to my friends 70’s rig (small inexpensive brand Y – its not nice enough to even call a brand X!). When I leveled mine it looked odd because his was so far out of level (ground not even close to flat).

With the weather report getting pretty bad for Sunday we decided to return on Saturday after the track closed. I knew the weather was not ‘optimal’ but I was quite surprised by the excellent drivability of the Barth with a steady 40mph cross wind with 60mph gusts! I was even wondering about the accuracy of those reports until we had to drive around many fallen branches and a 10 minute detour around a section of road closed due to downed power lines (we could still see the arcing!).
I should have had the wife take a picture – I was driving the Barth quite comfortably with a Coke in one hand during a wind storm with a 40mph crosswind!

Got home at 9pm. Woke up this morning with 2” of snow on the ground. The trees are not happy – but I am happy we came home early!

So, the same ritual every spring – I fall back in love with the Barth. Its as much fun as driving the Porsches and BWMs out on the track!

1985 Regency 35'
8.2T Detriot Diesel / Allison
other toys - a bunch of old Porsches, a GT350 and a '65 mustang convertible.

Posts: 164 | Location: Syracuse NY | Member Since: 07-03-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Patch1st
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the positive report Chris.... Our maiden voyage is tomorrow...

Click for Saint Clair Shores, Michigan Forecast

Patch1st
35' Regency
MCC Chassis
8.2 Detroit Diesel
"Partly Cloudy"

Posts: 455 | Location: Michigan | Member Since: 10-17-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chrisW
posted Hide Post
Good luck! - at least the snow has passed!

1985 Regency 35'
8.2T Detriot Diesel / Allison
other toys - a bunch of old Porsches, a GT350 and a '65 mustang convertible.

Posts: 164 | Location: Syracuse NY | Member Since: 07-03-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
Maybe you should take the Barth out on the track!!! Tooling Along Big Grin

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shadow man:
Maybe you should take the Barth out on the track!!! Tooling Along Big Grin

Yeah, Do It! Do it!

I once got a ride around either Riverside Raceway or Willow Springs by a fellow bike racer in an FMC. What an experience! I flat couldn't believe it.

In the early sixties, it was the custom to allow fans around the Nurburgring after the race was over. The time I was there, it had everything except motor homes, and someone told me they had seen that, too.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post