Forums    General Discussions    Are they Smiling or Laughing?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Are they Smiling or Laughing?
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 06/08
Picture of Neil T.
posted
This is a discussion my wife and I have every time we venture out in the Barth. I know most of you driving the older 70's Barth's have had the same experienced we have. You are driving down the interstate and a car passes you on the left. You notice everyone in the the car is "smiling" and pointing at you. It may even happen at a gas stations or rest stops. My contention is they are admiring the shinny Classic motor home. My usual reaction it to give a big thumbs up, smile and wink back, kind if like the "Good Sams" logo. My wife on the other hand says they are laughing at us and the "Good Sams" smile just makes it more pathetic. She also has the same opinion of the Pink Flamingos I place out front of the Barth when camping.
What do you guys think?

Neil

www.swedishautomotive.com
77 28' Rear Bath
The "Budget BARTH"

Posts: 246 | Location: Simpsonville, South Carolina | Member Since: 04-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Your wife is way too negative about her fellow travellers.
When a passing motorist honks and points to your roof, it means they are admiring the aluminum construction.
When they honk and point at your underbody, they are showing an appreciation for quality construction.
When they just wave histerically, I think they just are overwelmed by how great our coaches look.
Whatever the case, just smile and wave back, you're still having more fun than them.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3476 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I have seen few other Barths except at the GTGs. However, people seem to know them. Every trip I've made I have had several people walk over to me at gas stations saying something like "What year is that Barth? I had a 19XX Barth, we went all over in it..."

Haven't had the least indication of bad attitudes, even when I'm poking along and they have to pass me. (I do pull over if I'm holding things back for long!)

Most folks I talk to are impressed with the classic style and aluminum quality. Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5157 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/16
Picture of Kirk & Elise
posted Hide Post
I guess I have to chime in on the side of you Neil. Although ours is newer than yours (and I wouldn't mind an older one that is pure aluminum color with round headlights!), I have to report my trip home from Boston to (nearly) Buffalo. Along the way, I got pulled over by a man in a big diesel road-service truck , had many of the "happy waves" from passers-by, and was also hailed by a well-dressed retired gentleman driving a Lexus before I left Massachusetts. I ended up inviting him aboard to look, having so many questions about the Barth. His first words were "So that's a Barth?!" and it ended with "I would have bought this had I seen the ad before you!". It turned out he had owned several SOB's, and his current RV was a very nice late model SOB. Here was a guy whose money was no object and was upset that he had not made the deal I had. He also admonished to me that Barths were becoming "collectible"... which is not why we got ours, but fine if some people see them that way.

Bottom line, as SteveVW says: "... you're still having more fun than they are!"

Kirk

1989 22' Regal

Posts: 183 | Location: Northwestern PA | Member Since: 06-14-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post