Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Advice from the pro's
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/12
posted
Hi to all: I need to find out if it is me or just a bad buying experience. I bought a 2004 Trek 30' on a Ford chassis.I never could get the rig to drive worth 2 cents ( in my opinion), and finally have been able to get rid of it. I did drive a Safari diesel pusher and it handled much better even though it was 36' and older. My question is is it the gas and spring chassis that is bad or is it me. The Guy who bought my Trek said it drove "like most do". I just never felt like it stayed in between the lines well.Should I look to a DP or give up the motor home idea completely.
Thanks for any comments
Wayne

Posts: 189 | Location: South Daytona Fl | Member Since: 07-02-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by w&bknocke:
Should I look to a DP or give up the motor home idea completely.
Thanks for any comments
Wayne

Most DPs drive and ride better. Pay more, get more. I have never heard of anyone who went back to a gasser for reasons of ride or handling.

However, before you give up on gassers, you should test drive a couple of the recent Workhorse W models.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
I've got an old P32 chassis with a 28' Barth Regal on it. It's a stretched 195" wheelbase and even tho my front springs need replaced, it drives like it's on rails. I drove it from Arizona to North Carolina mostly with one hand. A couple of RV mechanics who have driven it can't believe how well it handles. I, too, had a Trek, but mine was on a P32 chassis with a stupid solid front axle and a short wheel base. It was awful. So, it all depends on what you've got, and in my experience it sure helps to have a long wheel base and a short overhang. Although Rusty has a Breakaway on a short wheel base that does well, but his is a diesel pusher. Don't give up on motor homes. Just do the research.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
Buy a Barth? And at the risk of being banned from the board Smiler, if you don't buy a Barth, then buy a bus. Big Grin

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/09
Picture of Jeff & Joy
posted Hide Post
Ours rides like a dream!
It handles wonderfully, BTW it is a 1977 P32 34' with a tag axle Smiler

Glad I got a Barth!!!

Posts: 144 | Location: wolverine, michigan | Member Since: 07-24-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
As Jim and Tere mentioned, my Breakaway with its stubby wheelbase is a pleasure to drive - and with all leaf springs and a solid front axle. Many times on Interstates, I do nothing to the steering wheel for a mile or more. Semis going by only give me a nudge.

It seems to me the P30/32 chassis can be made to behave. The only thing that puzzles me is GM's decision to have the front wheel track the same as the rear inside; most motorhomes on other chasses have the front wheels tracked with the outside rear.

Actually with RV prices in the tank, a DP doesn't command the price premium it did a couple of years ago. Although I bought mine because as a recovering marine engineer, I love diesels for the simplicity, the open access I have to the rear engine room is a real plus.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
Picture of lenny and judy
posted Hide Post
HOW CAN ANY ENGINEER EVER RECOVER .I AM A DIE CAST DIEMAKER .I will all ways love the trade a mater of fact I built my shop next to my house so I COULD PLAY.
LENNY

lenny and judy
32', Regency, Cummins 8.3L, Spartan Chassis, 1992
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Posts: 790 | Location: Naples Florida,g.g. | Member Since: 02-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Hey, Lenny, you could make a die for the Barth logo that's on the front and rear of our Barth's, hook up with a die caster and plater, and sell us brand new Barth nameplates!! Got to have something to do in your 'Golden' years! Wink

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:
Hey, Lenny, you could make a die for the Barth logo that's on the front and rear of our Barth's, hook up with a die caster and plater, and sell us brand new Barth nameplates!!
Sounds good to me! Cool

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post