Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Pros and Cons: Renovation
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of RoadRash
posted
Hello all,

I'm new to the group and am looking for some honest feedback. I'm on the fence about buying a 1967 22ft trailer. My plans are to move back west, travel, work seasonal jobs and live in it. Pretty much living the nomadic life.

I'll need to step up my towing rig and the trailer could easily use $1-1.5k in upgrades (ceilings, walls, insulation, etc.), not including solar panels and related equipment. Cost of the trailer is $1k, title clean and Barth verified. Body and frame are solid but I will probably replace the springs and tires.

What are your thoughts? Deal or no deal? Smash or pass?

Thanks in advance!
Rick

ps - I tried posting a pic but it went super-size and I deleted it.

Posts: 3 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 03-24-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
These are tough questions! So many variables...

It sounds like the price is reasonable. Given the metal content you could probably get about that for scrap.

If you are handy and don't have to pay labor for the reno and if you enjoy that kind of work, you could have nice rig that is done to your specs with minimal dollar investment.

Compared to other trailers of that age and price range you would be hard pressed to find a better platform to start with. I have always preferred aluminum for durability and UV resistance too.

If your intent is to use it for a time you should get good value for your investment. The longer you have it the more return you will get. Buying RVs to flip for resale is rarely cost effective. Given the age of these things they are going from "classics" to "relics" and their resale value is very unpredictable. Their value (to me) rests in their use.

With the good Barth bones, a good reno done to your liking, you should get good satisfaction with the results.

Good luck with your decision, I hope this helps. hmm

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5159 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/17
Picture of Janet Rocco
posted Hide Post
Hey RR - I did it with my 1966 Barth Trailer, top to bottom reno. The outside was in good shape, had bee half painted and top was original aluminum. You can strip it down to the aluminum, paint the steal frame with rustoleum to protect it from further degradation. We did blown in foam insulation - I paid $3k to have that done, but in retrospect, should have had it done by an insulation company and not a tiny house builder. Or just done it myself with fiberglass and hard foam. We put down base floor, plywood, did the walls in cypress shiplap... built cabinets and bought some too. Overall it was a labor of love and it turned out to be amazing. Pics are here:http://s1152.photobucket.com/user/JanRock/slideshow/ - but overall I fell in love with my trailer. It was hard work and cost probably $15k - but that is because I could not do everything myself. Let me know if you want more info?

Posts: 43 | Location: Tampa, FL | Member Since: 12-27-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Janet Rocco
posted Hide Post
If you decide its not for you, maybe let me know where I can buy it??

Posts: 43 | Location: Tampa, FL | Member Since: 12-27-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
http://s1152.photobucket.com/user/JanRock/slideshow/

41 BARTH TRAILER PICS ARE HERE Smiler

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2584 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RoadRash
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Smiley:
http://s1152.photobucket.com/user/JanRock/slideshow/

41 BARTH TRAILER PICS ARE HERE Smiler

Wow! Those pictures are incredible! Thank you for the link!

Posts: 3 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 03-24-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RoadRash
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Janet Rocco:
If you decide its not for you, maybe let me know where I can buy it??

Thank you for the information Jan! I'm still considering it but at present I have another project taking my time and money (readying my mother's house for sale when the time comes).

Your Barth is incredible. I love what you did with the wood interior. Looks awesome!

The floor plan of the Barth I am looking at has a full-size pullout bed (with cabinets opposite) to the left of the door and the kitchen area to the right. The roof has "furnace tape" along the length on the seams and body has some dents and holes from various attachments over the years.

I change my mind so much on the decision that you'd think I work at The Waffle House! I need to get off the proverbial crapper and make a decision. I will keep you posted.

Rick

Picture of Janet Rocco
posted Hide Post
Good Luck and keep us informed on your progress!!