Tools
Reply To This Topic

Question
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Founder and Moderator Emeritus
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted
OK if you were free and and you could jump in your coach and go anywhere... no restrictions other than the coach isn't a boat or plane.

Where would you go?? What would you do?

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Ummm........does this fantasy trip include free gas?

Then I would search every source for every museum, then pick the ones I wanted to visit and plan a route around the country, including the EAA fly in at Oshkosh and week on a schooner off New England, my home town in Iowa and my old Army bases.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
Whether it's free gas or you're rich enough that it doesn't matter. Either way it's not a challenge..where you from in Iowa?

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bowers:
where you from in Iowa?

Rock Rapids, on US75 just south of Luverne MN.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
She who must be obeyed
and
me, Ensign 3rd crass
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
Here is a place we have not been to:

http://www.sfaol.com/mccord/lightning.html

Here is a place we have been to:

Show up as early as possible and spend the whole week.

http://www.burningman.com

One trip we have done several times starts around:

http://www.thepepper.com/tucson_titan_missile.html

Like Bill H.and his wife, we prefer stops a little off the main road and have had a nice time in the state of Sonora Mexico. We don't drive at night and do not drive over fifty; we prefer the winter, we find the summers a bit warm. But summer or winter the people are always warm and the countryside, the sea of Cortez and copper canyon are all places we like a great deal.

Guaymas is the town we often end up in because it is a "snow bird" hang out and everyone speaks english. The local hotel is $20.00 a night, the place is clean, you can park in the back next to your room and plug in the Barth; the people are nice and the shower water is warm most of the time. You may also spend $150.00 a night for a hotel on the beach listed on the internet if you wish but we prefer to move Barth to the beach up the road next to the place Catch 22 was filmed, we have the place all to ourselves and return to the hotel in the evenings.

We do travel with a scooter on the back so we can leave Barth at the hotel and see a bit of the town in the evening. I like the Honda, it is smaller but the Harley gets more attention so Lana prefers it; there is also something about the harmonics on the Harley the girls talk about but I would not know about that. I leave the choice up to you.

http://www.maps-of-mexico.com/photos/sonora/guaymas/gua...ture-of-mexico.shtml

Timothy and Lana

Posts: 282 | Location: Studio City, California | Member Since: 02-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
A big loop aroun the country. Slowly so that we could be south in the winter and north in the summer.

Of course I'd swing up and down in the center of the country to catch the sights there as well. I've never really been off the east coast. So while there is a lot to see here, we have been to many eastern places. West of the Mississippi is where we long to go.

Bill G

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I pretty much go where I want, when I want...

Mostly to star parties (Nebraska Star Party the end of July [30 mi SW of Valentine, NE], Peach State Star Gaze [Near Ducktown, TN], Chiefland Star Party (Chiefland, FL].

I would also like to look at retirement places in NM and AZ, and visit relatives in N. CA.

And, yes, the EAA Fly-in in OshKosh (I'd always flown in there before) and the Sun'n'Fun Fly in in Lakeland, FL (Missed it this year due to contractual obligations, thankfully over for good).

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
It's probably too late but I would really like to see the shuttle take off..

I would also like to be a camp volunteer at one of those small RV parks on the beach near Carpenteria, CA

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Well, come on down to Florida and we'll ride down to watch the shuttle...only about three hours from my house.

And, add to my list (one day, on return from the Nebraska Star Party, I'll do this: http://www.clusterballoon.org/nebraska/nebraska.html

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
She who must be obeyed
and
me, Ensign 3rd crass
posted Hide Post
Ah Carpenteria.

http://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/599/files/carpinteria.pdf

The state web site says, "The expansive, gentle slope of the beach, composed of fine-grained sand is ideal for sunbathing, picnicking, walking on the beach, fishing and other activities."

Huum as I recall the fine-grained sand is singularly ill-suited for other activites, it makes for poor sand castles.

Posts: 282 | Location: Studio City, California | Member Since: 02-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post