Kirk, his Barth & The road service truck
 Login now/Join our community

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Kirk & Elise:
...I still must post the story and tag in another forum, along with a pic of the Barth parked next to one of BillNY's road rigs at a gas stop along I84 a week ago Monday.
I'm going down the road, coming back from a call, and what do I see? It's a Barth Regal - driving right there, it's in front of me!

What should I do? I said with a grin - should I pull him over and say hi to him?

So, on goes my lights - in a flashing pattern - when I pulled along side him - he must have thought - "hey, what's the matter?" Big Grin

ok, that's all I got. He'll have to explain what happened next.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/16
Picture of Kirk & Elise
posted Hide Post
So there I was - new Barthmobile member (and new Barth owner) driving my girlfriend's and my new (to us) 22' Regal back from Boston along I84, planning to get off at 17K and visit a friend a few days before continuing the trip West toward Warren, PA. and thinking that I might have a chance to post a thread on that Barthmobile.com site and see if I might actually get that guy Bill N.Y. to respond and see if I couldn't get him to come out and look at the Barth. Since I would be hanging out close to Newburgh for a few days and it just might be possible. The coach was running fine, although I'd had to pull over once to locate and fix a strange knocking noise outside the door (rubber strip worked loose). I thought I had enough fuel to reach my friend's house in Bullville and I'm just about to the Rte.9 Fishkill exit when this big black diesel pulls up alongside of me (I had the window open) and blows his air horns to get my attention. Got my attention... yes, definitely. The driver is waving for me to pull off... which I do - thinking that something else has come loose on the Barth and I'm dragging Lord-knows-what down the interstate OR this guy is some kind of highway patrol truck used to inspect and ticket rigs w/out proper inspection tags, etc. So I get parked on the shoulder along the off-ramp and before I could get my butt out the door, this guy is standing there (the big black truck had followed me off and was now parked behind me) telling me of his "Barth sighting" and wondering if I am familiar with Barthmobile.com. I reply with a confirming "Yes, I am"... but continued to wonder what the heck was dragging behind my coach, possibly throwing sparks and necessitating this particular highway stop... maybe especially since we were BOTH now parked in an emergency break-down spot on the exit ramp of a major state highway. I think I even managed to get out of my mouth that I had recently signed on to Barthmobile.com as a member before I was enthusiastically informed that he was "Bill N.Y."

Talk about your chance meeting. It was like I had driven past Carroll Shelby's house in a Mustang and Carroll himself had flagged me down at the corner. "Bill N.Y.".. I say... "...aren't you 'the guy'?" and he grins real big and says "Yeah... I'm 'the guy'". I had to grin real big back at him, because I confessed right there that I was hoping that I could somehow meet him knowing he lived in the area... I just didn't know you only had to drive by Newburgh in a Barth and he'd pull you over!

So we get formalities out of the way fast, Bill takes a quick peek at the interior (especially the tag) and then we agree to get off the ramp and go take a photo of both rides together at a gas station. I'm sure I needed to fill up anyway, and we got to shoot the bull a little bit more... and of course I tried to pick Bill's brain about my new Barth as much as I could without becoming obnoxious. He had to run to be with his family and I was running late to my buddy's house, but now I could put a REAL person together with all these posts and have a great introduction story to boot! Thanks Bill! Lots more to follow.

1989 22' Regal

Posts: 183 | Location: Northwestern PA | Member Since: 06-14-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of dustyjeeper
posted Hide Post
Moved Reply:

Nice story.

Seems were all on the look for another Barth.

1978 Barth 17' Cabin Fever
1997 Barth 23' 4 door Command Center

Posts: 505 | Location: LaSalle CO | Member Since: 12-05-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
Moved Reply:

Looks like BillNY is going to start making house calls...........................

Former owner of "THE TOY"
1988 Barth Regal SE 33' Tag
1992 Barth Breakaway 32'
2005 Coachmen Mirada 32' DS

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
I confess, right here and now, he must have thought I was some kind of clown.

Apparently, Kirk doesn't like "The Seuss" Wink

Anyway... After I showed Kirk I wasn't completely insane (or maybe I just proved it) I had him follow me to a Mobil Gas Station just up the road.

He said that he thought I was some old guy (octogenarian) that just sits behind his computer posting to Barthmobile.

Maybe, to my 2 kids it might look like that, but at Barthmobile? Perhaps I've been giving off the wrong vibe or something. hmm

I believe he was happy to have a mental/makeup image of me for his future dealings on Barthmobile. I guess he was happy I wasn't a "Stick In The Mud" type of person.

So, if you're driving through NY on I-84, you just might see me on the road. Don't worry, I don't bite. mechanic

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kirk & Elise
posted Hide Post
Actually, it was a little surreal - but I like surreal and welcome chance occurances. To think that somehow, on my "maiden voyage" home with this new machine, I had crossed paths with my online Barth 'mentor'. I am still amazed at the timing of it all. And yes, Bill is much younger and way more active than online perceptions conjure. I guess if I'm going to get 'pulled over' driving the Barth, Bill's going to be my first choice. This community seems like a pretty tight-knit and special group and (both Elise and I) are very happy to have arrived.

Kirk

p.s. Proper photo of Elise and I with Barth coming soon, but it's monsoon season (apparently) here in N.Western PA and the 4th is turning out to be quite soggy.

1989 22' Regal

Posts: 183 | Location: Northwestern PA | Member Since: 06-14-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kirk & Elise
posted Hide Post
quote:
Apparently, Kirk doesn't like "The Seuss"

The guy in the truck with the lights and the horn, he's got my attention, do I need to be warned?

So I pull it on over to the emergency shoulder and step out to meet someone I thought to be older.

Why it's BillNY, it's him having fun, flagging me down coming back from a run.

We come face-to-face, right there on the road. And my coach is all fine, no need to be towed.

Did I get a treat, it's Bill that I meet and I'm happy to spend some time with a friend.

So if you're going to Newburgh and those air horns a-ring... be driving a Barth for you might see the king!

1989 22' Regal

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Well then, let me be the first to say it: WELCOME ABOARD KIRK!!! Big Grin

Sorry - can't help myself. Wink

Me thinks you'll fit right in at Barthmobile. So, how about that data tag then? Computer

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Picture of Kirk & Elise
posted Hide Post
Data tag forthcoming. Right now I'm summoned to cut up a watermelon for fruit salad. Data tag tonight, I promise.

1989 22' Regal

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
Wow, somehow out of the only 89,609 messages I missed this message. D'oh Computer

So I check my profile like I Did yours Kirk before asking for the data tag. head bang Mine is not right either. I will fix it right now unless I get side tracked again.

So I ask EVERYONE if you have a Barth, put that data tag completely and entirely in your profile. Computer I am not sure how to put it at the bottom of each post. Computer Adding data tag information to a post is on the only other page that I missed.
I have read all the pages or at least they were in front of me while my head was laying asleep on the desk.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post