Tools
Reply To This Topic

1982 Euro 32'
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Hi All,
I have a 1982 Barth Euro that I am
planning on selling. I inherited it
and have decided that it does not fit my needs like a toy hauler trailer would. I consider this Barth a "survivor". Original condition and all there but needs to be cleaned and gone through. Things like front air bags hoses belts etc. as it has sat for a looong time. Tires were brand new when I got it but like I said it has set. it has 60K on it's 454 Chev.

Does anyone have an idea of what it is worth? I am willing to let it go to someone that really loves Barths or at least understands what they are for a reasonable price. Thanks!

Posts: 10 | Member Since: 10-07-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Those Euros just keep getting longer and longer. Is that 32 feet with or without bumpers? Got a picture?

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am interested in info on your 32 foot Euro.

Could you provide details, including layout and pictures if you have them.

Thanks

Barry

Posts: 43 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Member Since: 11-16-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
I know there are a few Glassnose owners out there but Barry and I keep in touch via this site and try to share what we learn about these unique coaches. Unlike the MCCs and other radical variations on the Barth theme, these coaches are built on the GM P-frames using the same aluminum construction in frame and skin as the more common bus styles, but for some reason they decided to stick a fiberglass front end on it that only a mother,[or owner], could love. What tiny leakage I had was quickly cured by a R&R of the windshield sealant. The Glass to aluminum seal has NEVER leaked, [knock on the cherry wood cabinets], nor have any of the windows or overhead vents. The underside has a skin of aluminum that seems to have been installed with substandard rivets, and this will keep a perfectionist busy for a bit. my largest expenditures have been for tires and a new fridge, niether of which the manufacturer can be held accountable for.
I can't wait to see some pix of this coach, never having seen a bigger Euro.

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bill h:
Those Euros just keep getting longer and longer. Is that 32 feet with or without bumpers? Got a picture?

Sorry about that, it is a 30 foot model.
I will try and post up pictures in the next day or so of the inside and outside. My father in law was a real paperwork guy, he had the original Barth manual that came with it. An amazing manual, has electrical schematic, plumbing, appliance manuals etc. He even had the orginal invoice from the dealership.

[This message has been edited by ATKpilot (edited September 06, 2005).]

posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Barry Rechtorovich:
[B]I am interested in info on your 32 foot Euro.

Could you provide details, including layout and pictures if you have them.

Thanks

Hi Barry,
I will try and get some pics up in the next day or so.

Thank you

"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
You know what I think Danny, is that in 1982 they introduced the MCC Regency which kind of had a similar frontal appearance. Don't know that for sure...but it kind of makes sense to me...

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Dave, are you infering that this particular coach may not be a true Euro? The fact that it has a 454 and the owner refers to it as a Euro and has extensive documentation makes me believe otherwise. Will anxiously await further info and pix to clarify.

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Weren't MCCs 35' long?

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
What I was thinking is that; Barth was trying to move into the sleek looking motorhomes in 1982 so when they came out with the MCC Regency for $145,000.00, and the Euro they moved away from the bus looking coaches, WHICH EVERYONE LOVED and moved into the modern looking coaches per se... By the way, a bit of trivia is that in 1982 Barth sold 150 of the Euro type coaches it Iraq. This is the biggest order they ever had and Bob Barth, son of the former owner who worked there till the end, said they had unlimited overtime that year.

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
OK Time to drag this history lesson out one more time. I personally think it's one of the best posts on this or any site. This post was from our beloved bill h
bill h
Barthmoblie Member
posted July 14, 2004 01:41 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is a common misperception that the Glassnose was made by Barth. It was, in reality, made by the Skoda factory in Czechoslovakia, with intentions of marketing it in Russia as a "Glasnost".
Due to the political implications of the name, it was a marketing dud, and was renamed the Euro, with hopes of marketing it in Europe. They even made a raised-roof version for Margaret Thatcher so her bouffant would not hit the ceiling. She and her secret consort, Enoch Powell, used it as a clandestine love nest.

However, "Euro", was also an unfortunate choice of name, as the European common market currency of the same name was already in its conception stage, and Mrs Thatcher wanted nothing to do with it, nor did Mr Powell, as it was not British. As a result, Barth bought the remaining inventory and rebadged them as Barths. They turned out to be pretty good coaches. However, a deal could not be reached on the tooling, as the East German Trabant factory had already taken it and begun production on a lighter version. Their in-house powerplant proved inadequate, so they embarked on a lightening process, which consisted mainly of thinner fiberglass and aluminum. Even with those measures, the stretched Trabant chassis was unable to handle the weight and high G force cornering forces in the Swabian Alps. Many broke in half while parked. Those that did not suffer chassis failure ended up considerably foreshortened as the result of inadequate brakes. Again, lifted from the Trabant sedan.

A later version used the Trabant engine to power the generator, with a Hanomag diesel powering the coach, but the poor little Trabant engine was not even up to the task of powering the generator. There were a number of fatalities involving generator use. It was never disclosed whether they were due to pollution inhalation or homicides resulting over disputes over noise pollution. There were plans to produce the Euro in a plant in Ulan Bator, but financing was a problem. In anticipation of production, Tannu Tuva issued a commemorative stamp with a picture of a Tuvinian (Euro) on it. These stamps are prized by collectors today.

The Trabant generator lives on as a Generac today. So whenever you are annoyed by a noisy Generac, remember it is a small part of Barth history.

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28

[This message has been edited by Danny Zeeff (edited September 07, 2005).]

The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Put a picture of a Euro, the glass MCC Regency, & an FMC side-by-side. and it's apparent the MCC & the FMC are siblings, while the Euro is a distant cousin.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
I must submit a hardy au contrair olroy. If you take the glassnose off my 28 it is nearly indisguishable,[wow look at that word!!] from the Regals of that vintage. The floor plans and kitchen layouts are identicle, as is the aluminum structure and skin throughout all but the very front. Given a choice, Id prefer the All Aluminum bus style, but I'll never consider what I have as a red headed stepchild.
https://www.barthmobile.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000861.html

I believe this coach is a true Barth, bred, born and raised in Indiana. The fact that a ton of them went to Iraq back in the day doesn't have a hoot to do with the coach itself.
I hope the link worked, and if it didn't our fearless leader will get it right.
I also hope those of you with a little time on their hands will take a minute to check it out and see what a cool coach we have.

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28

[This message has been edited by Danny Zeeff (edited September 07, 2005).]

Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Indeed, again Bob Barth told me that the 1982 was the year that Barth wanted to get into some real production. Again, they were introducing their $145K Regency that year.

The MCC didn't work out. Now, Bob told me that the reason the Euro didn't fly is because since the bodies were handmade and the cap was molded they had a fit problem sometimes and leaking around the front cap was a problem. But, I have to say that I have talked to at least a dozen Euro owners and never have I been told that they leak, not even once.

Now Olroy is correct that the first MCC Regency's maintained the FMC style, but not for long. They changed back to the bus style we all love dearly in late 1982...

Here you see a Motorhome Mag ad for the Euro on the left and the MCC Regency on the righ. The MCC's below the ad were built in 1981-early 1982

------------------

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited September 07, 2005).]