Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Route 49 California
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/10
Picture of Ol' Betsy
posted
Has anyone ever driven route 49 north from the Coarsegold area to Columbia CA or near either one? It is described as a 2-lane mountain road and extremely hot weather is forecast for the next 2-3 weeks.

Thanks for your help.

Betsy & Carl Feren
Ms Idgie and April
1992 30' Barth Breakaway

Posts: 75 | Location: Texas | Member Since: 12-21-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
Yes, i have driven part of that road south bound from Chinese Camp to Mariposa 2 years ago. The 13 miles to Big Oak Flat is ok, just after the road splits there i caught a glimpse of a sign that i think said that trucks with a king pin length of over 30 ft. were not recommended. We are 35 ft. and tow a jeep, and after going around 5-6 sharp curves where i was over the center line to get around them, i told my wife that we better unhook and have her drive ahead of me and let me know by radio if anything was coming the other way.

Did not meet too much traffic although there was one tour bus i had to wait for. In several places there was only 1-2 feet of shoulder along the road and from there it dropped off rather sharply. Smiler First we climbed, then we dropped back down and then we climbed again and had to go around a rather sharp hairpin turn just before we got to Mt. Bullion. Even with the jeep off i had to swing wide to the outside on most corners and cut across the center line to make the curves.

I did it once but don't think i would do it again. Big Grin Don't have any idea about the road north of Chinese Camp.....if you do it let us know what you think of the route. Smiler

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/10
Picture of Ol' Betsy
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the good and helpful information. With that in mind and the temps here in the 105 degree range, we have decided to head for the coast and go north.

We hope to come back south later. Mebbe not. We were looking for the easiest way from Coarsegold to Columbia, but may have to "poke along" which is our favorite way to travel.

Thanks again.

Betsy & Carl Feren
Ms Idgie and April
1992 30' Barth Breakaway

Posts: 75 | Location: Texas | Member Since: 12-21-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post