Tools
Reply To This Topic

Towing a Volvo
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted
Dont know if this should be hear or in the Technical forum. Bill/Rusty, please move as required.
We have a 2-wheel car dolly that we use to tow our 96 Cavalier which is front wheel drive. We want to tow our 81 Volvo station wagon which is rear wheel drive. Can we do it by putting the front wheels on the dolly? The transmission is a manual 4-speed with overdrive that engages when you push a button. I remember in the 50s, having my dad's 51 Plymouth towed with the rear wheels up in the air and the car pointing backwards. It was a manual transmission (three on the tree). I've tried some Volvo forums and not had much help. And the Volvo dealer says "A 1981 what?"
Thanks
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
It is my understanding that towing any vehicle backward is not recommended. Has to do with the steering geomonetry of the front end.

But you have a manual transmission. Should be able to tow it 4 down.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Hmm, hadn't thought of steering geometry. Makes sense with castor, camber and tow-in. Not like the rear wheels which are just always pointed straight.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Should be able to tow it 4 down.

Use the dolly, 4 down will require some sort of draw bar apparatus and extra wiring. make sure the x-mission is in neutral! Tooling Along
"never mind"!

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
A wrecker would probably tow it with the rear wheels off the ground and the steering wheel strapped to something (like window channel) to keep it from turning. Many manual transmissions are not lubricated adequately when the output shaft, rather than the input shaft, is being turned.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Francis Brantley
posted Hide Post
Rear wheel drive Volvos should not be towed without disconnecting the drive shaft at least this is what I have been told for many years as a Volvo driver.

Posts: 29 | Location: South East, Mainly Mississippi | Member Since: 04-11-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
I have a 1990 Isuzu Amigo 4 wheel drive 5 speed straight shift and IT CAN NOT BE TOWED under any circumstance according to Isuzu. Frowner

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Hey Mary, I have the same, 1990 Amigo 4X4 and yes it can not be towed. There is no neutral on the transfer case. Even if one were to shift into neutral and between gears in the transfer case and hold it there by some means, the transfer case will burn up do to lack of lub.

I am working on an engine transplant and use the 4l60E with a Dana 300 transfer case attached. That will work and can be towed. Haven't confirmed what engine I will use but probably a 4.3L chev V6

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Everybody is absolutely right Thumbs Up. In a manual Volvo tranny, the output shaft does not turn the cluster gears that are responsible for doing most of the lubrication in the tranny. Only the input shaft will do that. As for towing backwards, a tow truck can do it, even for moderate distance, because they are holding the rear end up in the air. However, a tow dolly is designed to have most of the weight over the wheels of the dolly. Putting the rear wheels on the dolly would seriously upset the balance of the whole thing. The only thing to do is disconnect the drive shaft. Remco makes a disconnect apparatus that I will look into. It is beginning to make sense to get one car to replace the Volvo and the Cavalier that I can either flat tow or tow on a dolly, but it has to have seats that are high off the floor like the old Volvo or even my Mercury Grand Marquis. We have discovered that with my deteriorating disc disease and cracked vertebrae, that I have to sit with my legs 90 degrees to the seat. A lot of these small cars, you are almost laying down in the car and that puts me out of commission in about 5 minutes. the seats in the Barth are perfect. They're high up off the floor and nice soft. But it would make a lousy tow vehicle. Any Suggestions?

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
How about a Geo Tracker or Suzuki? Even got 4wheel drive.

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin+Doris:
How about a Geo Tracker or Suzuki? Even got 4wheel drive.

I see a lot of these being flat towed. They are small and light and are reported to tow very easily.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
As for chair-seating, I had one of the high-roof Mercs based on the Volvo. They are sold under various names including Ford 500, Ford Taurus, Merc Sable and Montego.
The seat can be raised to be about like an office chair and the pedals on some are adjustable.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/10
Picture of bud@YXY
posted Hide Post
Suzuki and Trackers tow very well!!! (Of course I might have a biased opinion on this subject).
They also go a lot of places, if you are of the type who likes to get off the main lanes, and they are relatively "cheap".

Bud

1993 Breakaway 36ft & 1977 20 ft
Spartan: air ride and brakes & P32(?)
Cummins: 8.3 litre 250hp, PACBrake
Allison 3060 (6 spd)
Front entry, side hallway
7.5 kw diesel gen.
1999 2dr Tracker 4X4 5spd, SMI Braking system

Posts: 253 | Location: Yukon--Arizona and around | Member Since: 06-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
X2 on the Tracker. We have towed ours to Arizona and back to Niagara Falls five times with no probs.
Even drove it from Phoenix to San Diego on a quick trip sans Barth last week.
Don
QUOTE]Originally posted by bud@YXY:
Suzuki and Trackers tow very well!!! (Of course I might have a biased opinion on this subject).
They also go a lot of places, if you are of the type who likes to get off the main lanes, and they are relatively "cheap".

Bud[/QUOTE]

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Tere and I looked at a 2002 Chev Tracker today. I have to have an upright sitting position and it did pretty well. But at $5900 with 118000 on it, seems a little high. Don in Niagra, which model Tracker are you towing?

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B