Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Help Name this poop
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of dustyjeeper
posted
I have had a lot of trouble with mice. That is under control with mouse killer.

Garage was completely cleaned yesterday. This mourning poop in window seals and on top of cars. What is it? How do I kill it?

1978 Barth 17' Cabin Fever
1997 Barth 23' 4 door Command Center

Posts: 505 | Location: LaSalle CO | Member Since: 12-05-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
They grow them big in Wyoming. Try TomCat brand, pellets in small plastic trays. Violence

JKB

88 28' Regal 454
Blue/Silver metalflake

Posts: 706 | Location: 103 miles west of Milford & 1.75 Miles from Lincoln oasis on I-80 | Member Since: 01-05-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
Squirrel Confused
Aka bushy tailed tree rat
BB gun ...

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
d@@m tree rats! We have more problems with chipmunks here, holes in garden, chewing wires in the well pit, etc. Pellet gun works great, got over 30 last "season" Violence

Maybe a barn cat on duty?

BTW my wife wants to extend one of the bedrooms in the house by 4 ft. Interested in the job? ROTFLMAO

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
BTW my wife wants to extend one of the bedrooms in the house by 4 ft. Interested in the job?

Just locate a large motorhome in salvage and buy the slideout...hide

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Good advice Kevin. I had forgotten that old farmer's trick.

Fly bait and Coke is EXTREMELY effective. Raccoons that drank it died within 10 ft of the stuff!

Be absolutely sure no good critters can get into it.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Aka bushy tailed tree rat
BB gun

Tree rat bastards! ate some wiring in my truck. Several $$00
for repairs. Have harassed them with BB gun, they still return only smarter to mess up my garden, . Next step ...stealth and co2 pellets. .................or410! Violence

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve VW:
Good advice Kevin. I had forgotten that old farmer's trick.

Fly bait and Coke is EXTREMELY effective. Raccoons that drank it died within 10 ft of the stuff!

Be absolutely sure no good critters can get into it.

What fly bait is that?

Glycol anti freeze works, too.

Same advice for good critters.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dustyjeeper
posted Hide Post
I spent a couple of hours cleaning the garage again.
Set aout a bunch of tomcat. I closed the doggy door (yes Daisy has a door to the house and the shop). I hope the varmints dont come in the house tonight. confusion

Posts: 505 | Location: LaSalle CO | Member Since: 12-05-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
The fly bait contains a potent insecticide containing "methomyl" a carbamide compound. Sold under several names. It is not intended for animal control due to the chance of killing pets, children or other animals. Sold in granular or pellet form at farm supply stores for killing flies. EXTREMELY TOXIC, do not handle, do not inhale.

Kills animals almost instantly. Mixed with the sweet soda (Mountain Dew works too) it is almost irresistible to coons, chucks, squirrels and unfortunately dogs and cats.

There have been some legal issues involving misuse, but it will do the job when all else fails.

Can be stored in sealed container for some time. Can be reasonably safely disposed by incineration in hot fire (outdoors!!! stay upwind to be sure)

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
My preference is my air rifle, because it doesn't leave a poisoned carcass around for other animals to eat and be poisoned from.

However, there could be exceptions, in extreme circumstances.

Glycol anti freeze does not leave a poisoned carcass (so I'm told), but it still can endanger pets and animals you don't hate. Like the feral cats that help me with rodents.

We have pack rats, which can do hundreds and hundreds of dollars' damage to vehicle wiring and electronics.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Ditto on the air rifle. I can use it around the yard without freaking my neighbors or inside the garage without putting holes through the walls, etc.

I have shot raccoons with my high power pellet gun. Problem is they are out mostly after bedtime. Ask my wife, I have even stalked and shot mice in the basement with it! (They are really hard to field-dress though, and the skins are awful small!) ROTFLMAO

I am not a fan of poison. Glycol is less trouble after the fact but it is a slow miserable way to die. At least the fly bait is quick. Since you will always find the carcass, you can bury or burn it to reduce any chance of other animals eating it. I don't know what the half-life of the fly bait is in the environment and in the carcass, it would be good to know.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
When I put on my pest control hat we use the parafin blocks in a baffled box that pretty much only rats and mice can get into. One benefit to the poison used is it makes the pest thirsty and they go out to find some water, usually dieing far from the point of ingestion. They like these blocks so much we've had them chew through the plastic lids on the buckets in the warehouse just to get at them.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dustyjeeper
posted Hide Post
Poop all over the garage again. Tomcat didn't get them.
Went to farm store and got the fly killer/coke/aluminum pan. I shut the doggy door so Daisy and Gracy cant get in. Guess I'm taking the day off. Check it in the mourning.

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve VW:
Ditto on the air rifle. I can use it around the yard without freaking my neighbors.....I have shot raccoons with my high power pellet gun.

What rifle do you use? My RWS 52 .177 really barks with light pellets, and used to freak the neighbors when I lived in town and had concrete block walls to form a sound-amplifying situation.

The heavier pellets (Crosman Premier 10.5 grain) do not go supersonic, so make much less noise. They also penetrate raccoon skulls more reliably. We are close to a river, so they come around a lot. One of them even killed the feral cat we had for rodent control. That was particularly vexing, as the cat was acquired to keep the rattlers away, both by keeping rodents down and the fact that cats harass rattlers, making their visits less enjoyable, hence, less frequent.