Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Sighting, but not a Barth
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of DougZ
posted
This is really cool but it's not a Barth.

Newell
quote:

W4JDZ

Posts: 567 | Location: Warrenton, N.C. | Member Since: 03-27-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Depending on condition, that could be a good coach.

The Astroturf would have to go, though.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Tim&Gayle
posted Hide Post
That is very cool Thumbs Up

alex my grandson
we snuck away over the
holidays for a little fun

Posts: 89 | Location: orlando florida | Member Since: 04-23-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/12
Picture of Carl Feren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DougZ:
This is really cool but it's not a Barth.

It has the distinctive Silver with Gold trim unique to Silver Streak trailers which I believe were the predecessor to both Newell & Barth.

The one shown below was owned by a friend of ours who recently passed away.

Carl Feren

30'- 1992 Breakaway on Spartan Chassis
5.9L Cummins 190
Banks Powerpack
Allison 4 spd - 542B
9206-3805-30BS-6B
7KW Kohler Propane Genset

Posts: 159 | Location: All of North America | Member Since: 02-16-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
To connect the dots between Newell and this coach:

http://www.newellcoach.com/flash.html

Go to: About Us and then: History

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that reminded me of a Silver Streak.

From the Newell site:

"When he shared his suggestions for product improvements with the owner of Streamline, he was met with the challenge: “If you're so damned smart, why don't you buy the motorhome operation from me?” Within hours, the deal was struck, and Newell was in the motorcoach-manufacturing business."
-------------------------------------------------

Nice story. Reminds me of when Lamborghini complained to Ferrari about the weak clutch in his cars, citing that he used that same clutch in the smaller tractors he built. Il Commendatore replied, either "You stick to tractors and leave the cars to me" or "If you think you can do better, do so"

I see a Streamline every year at a function.

Supposedly it was bought (but not paid for) by Bobby Kennedy for campaigning, and later repossessed. I know for a fact he did not believe in paying his campaign bills, so the story has a ring of truth to it.

The rear deck would also lend credence to the story. It certainly seems something a politician would love giving speeches from, reminding one of HST's whistle stop tours a generation earlier. Legend has it that RFK even had the same sycophant riding with him, muttering, "Give 'Em Hell, Bobby. The name escapes me, but he was a long-time Washington "Fixer".

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post