Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

tinkering on barth still
 Login now/Join our community

posted
hello everyone,greg from ohio im still working on the granddaddy of all barth motorhomes that i had bought just before christmas.it needed a flywheel installed just to see if it would run,(try two flywheels broke two teeth off first one).it is running (yea)thanks to 2nd flywheel and new starter.can readily move it about now ,as compared to getting it up out of the ground in indiana an tow barring it 70miles back to the house with pickup truck.ive done some polishing on it,replaced a few marker lights on it,an some major wiping down of the inside,and reriviting some of the wheel well molding back on.im hoping can get it going to some major camping this summer on the weekends.theres still alot to do to it though,i think the biggest thing that it needs ,is the windshield rubber replaced,cant do that myself,the rubber is deteorating to the point that the windshields have actually droped down some from where they should be,looking in to getting that fixed.hopefully will have some pictures of the old thing in the near future.

Posts: 73 | Location: mosquito valley ohio(west central ohio) | Member Since: 12-25-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
Welcome and we love pictures.

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greg:
...im still working on the granddaddy of all barth motorhomes that i had bought just before christmas.
When he says GrandDaddy, he is talking about one of the first self propelled Barths.

quote:
Originally posted by Mary Ray:
Welcome and we love pictures.
Here is a link to several pictures.

Greg, In a few weeks (5/12-5/13 or 5/16-5/17) I'll be passing through the west central ohio area. If you send me the address that the Barth is at, and you're game, I would be happy to swing by.

Or better yet, if you're really adventurous, you could come to Goshen Indiana for a Barth GTG where you can meet some of the people who post on this site and some people who actually built Barths for a living.

It's only 200 miles from Columbus Ohio. Cool

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
tow barring it 70 miles back to the house with pickup truck.

Gee, I hope it was a 3500 Duellie.

What kind of tow bar did you use?

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
hello its been a while since ive been on.i used my 1989 ford f150 to tow that barth to ohio,my tow bar i refabbed from a old u-haul clamp to bumper that had a ball on it to like pull a boat trailer,i had torched the ball assembly off,and built a tow bar tongue an attached it,to make it work the other way from what it was designed for.i had done this about 1987,worked good to haul old junk cars to scrap yard for some cash. as far motorhome goes ,i had to run some chains back in to frame to help ,because the bumper wasnt actually strong enough to handle the tow bar.i had to retighten a couple of times along the way,for the most part flat ground the whole way ,except for a steep hill in the last town we went thru.timed a green light for as much speed to climb it ,downshifted almost at the crest of the hill.it worked out decent for the most part.

Posts: 73 | Location: mosquito valley ohio(west central ohio) | Member Since: 12-25-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Git er done!!

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
worked out decent for the most part.
Thumbs Up

Greg, send the pictures to bill_ny@barthmobile.com

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ryegal
posted Hide Post
Greg what did you use to polishand clean the outside? Please Thanks ryegal

Proud owner of a 1975 classic class C

Posts: 94 | Location: Seattle,wa,usa | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
hello i started out with mothers brand aluminum polish,2 containers lol ,next i bought some turtle wax brand polishing compound,it seems to work a little better with electric buffer. i,ve been doing a little at a time,until my elbows are sore.i think its been around a decade since mine has been buffed out. is yours a slide in type or attached to frame?

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Greg, was there a Barth binder or Barth folder that came with this? If there is paperwork, or a folder that came with it, are there any numbers/letters written on the outside of this?

What town are you in? We are going to a Rally in a few weeks and maybe we could stop by and check it out???

Thanks for posting these pictures!!! Thumbs Up

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis