Forums    General Discussions    Possible New Barth Owner?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Possible New Barth Owner?
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of Bruce & Kathleen
posted
Sorry if I used the wrong forum here. I have never used these before. I am sold on buying a Barth as my first RV. This site has taught me alot about them. I searched many topics to find an answer to my question, but to no avail. I am looking at a 30' Breakaway with a 190HP Cummins and an Allison 4 speed automatic. My question is two fold---How dependable/reliable is that combination and will it pull a 6-7000 lb. trailer? Any help on this would be appreciated. If I missed a topic on this, let me say sorry now.....
Thanks, Bruce

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen
1993 33' Front Entrance Breakaway
230HP Cummins 5.9, Allison 6 speed, Spartan Chassis, Nicely Optioned

Posts: 616 | Location: New Jersey | Member Since: 04-01-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Flat or mountains?

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It would be mostly on the east coast, which is pretty flat. I am not saying I would not go out west, but probably without the trailer. It is my understanding that they will flat tow a car behind them over mountain areas with that drive train set-up, but pulling a trailer would be a problem there.

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen

Posts: 616 | Location: New Jersey | Member Since: 04-01-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Founder and Moderator Emeritus
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
Hi Bruce and Kathleen.

First let me welcome you to the forum and don't worry about doing anything wrong here.

The Breakaway has a GVWR (gross vehicle weight ratingO of 18,000 and a towing capacity to 20,000 lbs. To determin how much you can tow one would first have the weigh the loaded coach and subtract that from the 20,000 and see what you have left. With deisels you usually have substantial more leeway than with gas coaches.

Also check what class hitch you have. I am guessing, (it doesn't say in the brochure attached below) but I am guessing it is a Class III wich is rated to 5000#. You can get it fortified to 8K or even 10K by a certified welder.

See the PDF brochure attached to this post.

1992 Barth Breakaway Brochure - 1 - (1,710 KB) ~

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Dave,
Since we just bot this '93 33' Breakaway, could you attach the pdf for it like you just did for the 28' and 30' Ours has the 5.9B 230 H.P. cummins and the MD3060 allison 6 spd.
Thanks,
Darrell and Jeannie Moore
Ps, we are ones that are replacing the 27' '79 advertized.

'93/94 33' Breakaway-5.9B 230 HP cummins-allison6spd MD3060

Posts: 39 | Location: Chehalis, WA. | Member Since: 01-31-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Founder and Moderator Emeritus
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
I am sorry but that is the only Breakaway brochure I have.

1992 Barth Breakaway Brochure - 2 - (821 KB) ~

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bruce,

I am also a new owner of a Barth, and hope you join us. To answer your question about the reliability. Well, the Cummins engine is bullet proof. At 190hp, you are not even close to the potential of what that engine can put out. A visit to www.dieseltruckresource.com, will answer any questions you may have as to how to increase power and torque. As for your transmission...that will be the weak link. The Cummins engine is almost unlimited to its potential, but the transmission will be limited...that is where I focus my attention.

As for what is legally acceptable for towing...I can not help you there. Engine is solid, tranny is a question mark, and towing capacity is something I can not answer.

Good Luck,
John

1984 35' Regency MCC
8.2 DD, 545 Allison

Posts: 16 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Member Since: 02-08-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jrdwyeriii:
As for your transmission...that will be the weak link.

Anywhere from 210-230 hp is the limit for the 4 speed, depending on who you listen to. Turbo diesel register is another good site.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, we did it.....we bought our first motorhome and it is a Barth! Check out Barth sightings for our new ride.
Bruce

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen

posted Hide Post
In an effort to provide information, I loaded up the trailer last night and took the Breakaway (190HP, 4 speed auto) with a loaded (6000 lbs.) trailer in tow for a test run last night and it handled it just fine. Now, mind you, I was on the flat lands of New Jersey and not climbing hills. But, as I was told, I do believe it will handle anything east of the Mississippi! Not a speed demon, but gets up and will travel at 60mph. Works for me!!!
Bruce

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen