Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

RV vs Conventional Vacations
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Frank Strong
posted
The cost of diesel these days has caused all of us to reconsider using our Barths for vacations --- I'm sure. A couple of years ago when my unit was still new to me, I heard a statistic that made me feel good about my purchase and subsequent RV use. It said that the cost of fuel would have to go as high as $9.00/gal to make RV vacations cost more than conventional fly/car rental/motel type vacations. I can't remember where the stat originated or how valid the sources were.

Has anyone else heard of this kind of study?

I sincerely hope it is true so that I can still enjoy my Barth without a guilty conscience!

Frank Strong
1994 Regency 34ft
300 HP Cummins, 6 spd Allison
Spartan MM Chassis

Posts: 125 | Location: Walthall, MS/Ocoee, FL (Orlando area) | Member Since: 03-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
Enjoy your Barth with impunity! Smiler

There are many more reasons I'd rather RV it (than fly for instance) other than cost. And with vehicle fuel going up, jet fuel is doing the same... so it's not as if flying is getting any cheaper. I'm sure hotel rooms, restaurant costs, rental cars, and every other non-RV vacation expense will be following suit. Not to mention the comfort of an RV, home away from home. You always know what happened in the bed and who sat on the toilet. Wink So keep making those campground reservations!

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I'm with Scott, even though he (shudder) owns a non-Barth...

Since StaRV II is used mostly to go to star parties, all my astro-gear is embarked, around 1,000 lbs.; most likely airlines would blanch at that for check-in - and I'd be hesitant to allow baggage handlers to kick around an $8,000 scope.

But I just did a 2,150 mile round trip to an astro-conference/trade show in southern Noo Yawk, for about $1,000 in expenses (fuel, RV parks, etc.). Had I flown ($585), boarded the dogs ($200), rented a car ($185), and paid motel ($275), I'd have had $245 more in costs, not even counting meals.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
We also factor in the the saving of eating and drinking in the Barth.

And the boarding of our pets.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I can no longer factor in the "boarding of pets", as Maggie and Casey have assumed ownership of StaRV II; if it goes, they go...

Not to mention, they're great fun to have around, regardless of the destination...

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can no longer factor in the "boarding of pets", as Maggie and Casey have assumed ownership of StaRV II; if it goes, they go...

Rusty, are you considered an equal or just the chauffeur?
Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I don't know...does their habit of referring to me as "knave" give me a clue? Big Grin

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/11
Picture of Tom Loughney
posted Hide Post
Three years ago I stayed with my Brother in NJ, rented a car, traveled the east coast out to Michigan. Ate in restaurants, Holiday inn,s and when possible slept on my friends couch. The trip was just over 3 months long and I spent about $7,000

Last year I was back for 4 months, Stayed with a friend in Seattle, borrowed my kids car, visited up and down the west coast also flew to Chicago, NJ, and Orlando for friends. That exercise cost me $9,000 total.

The car rental, food, and lodging were the bulk of the cost and the inconvence of getting to the airport, and back again, borrowing and then re-borrowing the car, imposing where possible was just not fun.

The RV will let me stay "near" my friends and kids, and will let me show up and leave when I want to.

If I do 5,000 miles in a rig that will cost between $2,500 to $5,000 for fuel depending on the unit. The rest of the costs will be about $1,500 a month for campgrounds, food, and whatever.

So a 4 month trip coast to coast would be about $8 to $10,000 total. The most important thing is that I never need to leave home to do this.

Tom

Tom Loughney
Barthless....

Posts: 202 | Location: Thailand  | Member Since: 03-31-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
One of the things you will come to greatly appreciate is not having to lug suitcases in and out of motels...pack once, unpack once.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Loughney:
So a 4 month trip coast to coast would be about $8 to $10,000 total. The most important thing is that I never need to leave home to do this.
Do you plan on keeping your Barth or selling it once you go back to Thailand?

I would stick to the latter half of this quote instead of the former. Big Grin

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
A study by PKF Consulting, posted on the Recreational Vehicle Industry Association's Web site, notes that "typical RV family vacations are on average 26 to 74 percent less expensive than other types of vacations studied."

Your numbers may vary.

We find the quality of food and drink is better in a Barth. We also know what is under the bed and if and how well the sheets and pillowcases were washed.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
We also know what is under the bed

....and whether or not the safety is ON Wink

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
And I thought Bill was talking about bugs!!

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of five-oh
posted Hide Post
Zombie thread! LOL

But, in reference to the subject of the thread, from what I can see so far, based only on our one weekend excursion and forecasted future trips- looks like the RV trip costs (not counting the purchase price of the coach) will average about the same for our family as our typical vacations. Our vacations are usually driven, not flown, with nice hotels and dining out.
With the motorhome, the fuel cost pretty much cancels out the accommodations cost. The biggest thing for us is the convenience of travelling in our own place, and the fact that our dogs can come along. It also allows for worry free restrooms, and after a particularly unfortunate incident in renting a hotel room a few years ago that despite being name brand hotel resulted in a bed bug infestation, it gives my wife peace of mind.
It also lets me, an early riser, get up and get us on the road before my wife and daughter, who typically sleep in, are ready to go. And I don't have to worry that I've left one of my, um, personal protection devices behind in the room. (Doesn't matter how many times I check, and know it's on my person, I still spend the first 30 miles after a motel stay worrying I've forgotten it behind.) LOL
So for all of that, even if it does turn out to be a bit higher, it's well worth it at this stage of our life. Vacations and RV use are kinda rare for us, so it's a treat we will be glad to save and budget for.

Posts: 58 | Location: Hattieville, Arkansas | Member Since: 11-01-2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of Harold,Cat&Sam
posted Hide Post
Thumbs Up yep , pretty much everything the po-po just said ROTFLMAO

For us it's not about the money , It's the ability to bring our second home with us with all our stuff . Our own bed , restroom , kitchen and living room . We know who was in it last and travel at our own pace .

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW

Posts: 622 | Location: Mooringsport,LA | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post