Tools
Reply To This Topic

State Sales Tax
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/12
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Creepy Cawler
posted
Has anybody used a mail forwarding address in a state with no sales tax for licence and title to keep from paying the sales tax in the state where you live? I saw a new MCI conversion licensed in a state which I knew that he didn't live and that was the reason he gave.

Posts: 140 | Location: Freedom Pa. U.S.A | Member Since: 04-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
That's like way to scary, Creepy. (that sounds funny doesn't it) In most states the consequences for this are usually much to high. Now if you are buying a million dollar coach and you live here in Minnesota and you are looking at plunking down $65K in state sales tax then it is maybe worthwhile to looking at setting up a corporation for $3-5K in Billing, Montana to save $60K. However, I don't know about someone who can blow a million on a motorhome and then sweat the tax. Plus, a couple NW airline pilots who lived in Minnesota and had an address in SD to save on the ridiculous state taxes we pay here just went to jail for a year.

So be careful...

------------------
Opportunity always knocks at the least opportune moment.

1985 28 foot Regal
Dave and Deb Bowers

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I can only speak for California, but a resident can buy a coach from a CA rv dealer, take delivery in Arizona, leave it in AZ for 90 days, and return to CA without paying CA sales tax.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post