Forums    General Discussions    Just bought a 1987 "Medical" coach !
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Just bought a 1987 "Medical" coach !
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of billyt53
posted Hide Post
That male receptacle is for shore power in.

Billy & Helen Thibodeaux

Retired from Billy Thibodeaux's Premiere RV, Inc. Scott, LA 70583 I-10 Exit 97
The Farm is near Duson, LA I-10 Exit 92 then N 1 mile on right
Three Full 50 Amp RV Hookups !
billynhelen@me.com
Data Tag: 9404-3908-36XI-2C
1994 Sovereign 36' Widebody on Spartan IC (Mountain Master Lite) Chassis.
Powered by Cummins ISL9-450
Onan 8,000 Quiet Diesel Genset
Toad: 2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2 Diesel with M&G Car Brake

Posts: 374 | Location: 1mile north of I-10 Exit 92, Duson, LA USA in The Heart of CAJUN COUNRTY ! ! ! | Member Since: 05-14-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ForrestKing
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies about the shore power.

When I bought the coach the Previous Owner showed me how to take the 50amp plug and connect that plug to shore power.

Am I understanding it correctly that I can just run an extension cord from the "shore power" outlet to my wall and power the coach? I assume a nice extension cord is mandatory.

The project progresses: I just ordered 11 new locks for the basements and flaps. Tonight I continue removing the darkroom.

Posts: 42 | Location: St Louis area | Member Since: 01-16-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ForrestKing
posted Hide Post
Data Tag:

1987 Barth, 28', p30 chassis, 454 engine

Posts: 42 | Location: St Louis area | Member Since: 01-16-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ForrestKing
posted Hide Post
Ok, here are some more pictures of the cleansing.

PO was a lying ass, but I'm over it:

Water damage anyone?

this is the "Darkroom" as removed from the rear of the coach:

I removed it from the back. In this picture it was on the right - hiding the toilet:

What kind of wood are these cabinets: I'm going to try and match the wood:

Here is my sidekick, Franklin-the-wunder-spaniel:

And here is The Kid:

Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
Forrest!

You've got the foundation for a great machine. The fact that you were able to drive it home is a very positive thing. I have an 87 Barth built on the same chassis. In late '86, the Chevrolet P30 chassis had some changes. That is what I have.

I found this, over on the Airstream site, which shows the brackets and belts on the engine. http://www.airforums.com/forum...d=68719&d=1223077583

The file that comes on up that link is "gm ac mounts 1986 option 7N4.pdf". 7N4 is the GM option code for use with the Sanden AC compressor I think.

Key points for you:
- inspect, and replace as needed, all steel and rubber tubes, like as found for fuel, coolant, braking
- rather than yank the fuel tank (as I did), if you are going to redo the floor, consider putting a hatch in place, to give you access to the hoses on top of the tank. (Mine were no longer flexible rubber, but were cracked badly.
- do not forget the fuel filler hose
- check the date code on the tires. Seek the counsel of the wise men (great looking tires can still fall to ozone damage)
- To maximize the benefit of the rig for your family, you might want to install windows. Hehr is the OEM for Barth, and their windows can be found on ebay in new condition. I installed 3 new, and 1 used. 2 of the windows have emergency egress provision.
- Electrical system grounding might be a concern, between the frame, batteries, isolator, generator, dashboard, alternator, etc.
- The stock console seems to have a failure mode others have noted, where the gauges register fuel and oil pressure present, even if they are not. (Your mileage may vary)
- "trucker" mattresses on ebay might be a solution to the bedding problem
- in my opinion, the weakest link in the "truck" aspect of your RV is the GM HEI module in the distributor. If you drive with a spare, you will never have problems.

Others here have noted that the cabinetry in this era of Barths is a maple.

Good Luck and Happy Motoring,
Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 525 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post