Forums    General Discussions    Just bought a 1987 "Medical" coach !
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Just bought a 1987 "Medical" coach !
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of ForrestKing
posted
Hi everybody! I'm new around here and thought I'd introdue myself.

I just bought a 1987 Barth 28' long medical coach today and have lots of plans for it.
I started looking for a motorhome several months ago and I have looked at all sorts of stuff, mostly junk. I looked at several "bus" style motorhomes and was cruising around on the net when I saw a 1987 Barth go up for sale on ebay. It is 28 feet long and my driveway is 30 feet long... coincidence? I spoke to a friend who previously owned two Barths and his input sparked enough interest that I decided to fly out and look at the coach.

It was the nicest motorhome I have looked at in my price range, and almost everything worked. It is a gasser, the diesels I have seen are not in my price range but sure are nice.

I bought the coach and just finished driving it 490 miles home. On the drive I made a list of things to fix:
1)RADIO!!!!!!
2)Cruise Control
3)Seat Height (seat needs to be higher, or I need to be shorter...)

There are several good projects on the outside of the coach, the Previous Owner put "Tail light Taps" on the rear lights and politley broke the tail light lens corners off to run the wires out. All of the basement doors need new latches, The porch light lens is melted, the railroad tracks took a bite out of the retractable door step (now it is permanently retracted, ok).

I didnt get any manuals with the coach, so I am going to be looking to figure out the COntrol panel that is mounted above the door - only one switch does anything - the water pump works, that is it...

The inside is configured for all your X-ray needs and reconfiguring the layout will be my main project for the net couple of months. I will be adding a bed, removing a couch, removing about 10 feet of counter space, and reconfiguring the (super nice) cabinetry. I also want to install a toilet and shower.

The coach is equipped with fresh and grey water tanks, but lacks a black water tank. There is a lot of room in the basements...

No LPG on the coach either... hmmm. No air, but hydraulic leveling jacks.

I apologize for the excited post and forthcoming questions.

Forrest

Posts: 42 | Location: St Louis area | Member Since: 01-16-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of StinkyDaddy
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Forrest!
Looks like a great coach.

Have Fun,
Wm.

Bill & Sherrie
'65 Barth Travel Trailer (built in '64)
B1-174-24
'66 Barth Travel Trailer
D11-412-24
www.WilliamMitchellStudios.com

Posts: 549 | Location: Southern Virginia | Member Since: 09-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestKing:
I apologize for the excited post and forthcoming questions.
Welcome to our site!!! I wished more of our members where just as excited as you are. Wink More excitement translates, hopefully, into a more active member. Smiler

If you don't mind, would you please forward to me the images that the person sent to you as well as any additional images you might have of your coach. My email is bill_ny@barthmobile.com

Also, snap a picture of the data tag plate located around the drivers area. It should look like this.

or, if it's late enough in 87, it'll look like this.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Congrats and glad you found us. I doubt there is anyplace you'll find more good, freely given, and experienced info about your Barth than these guys.
I have a wiring diagram for a genny-battery setup that you may find useful. The search feature in the forums will bring you info on every nut and bolt from those who have been there, done that.
I only have one holding tank in my coach,[by design], and it's not a huge problem. If you can find a spot and get a black water tank in, I would by all means do it. I replaced the standard toilet with a Thetford "Hi" taller one and we both like it a lot better.
This next is just for you, because everyone else is sick of hearing it from me Wink. Replace all the rubber brake lines! If you feel the brakes aren't releasing your first thought is sticky calipers, but the GM rubber lines swell shut, allowing fluid to pass through under the pressure of applying the brakes, but not allowing it to flow back when the brakes are released.
Welcome, hope to follow your progress, and hope to see some pix as you go.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Hi Forrest,

Glad you found this little island of RVing fun and expertise.

If you looked at some of the bus conversions, you may have seen some "all electric" coaches. Considering where your at and the complexity/safety issues with propane, you may consider an "all electric" Barth. Heck, it could even be a first!

I'm pretty sure more expert opinions will give you much to think about, but I believe the advantages are less weight, less cost for components, and safety.

How you plan to use the coach will determine the level of sophistication of components: batteries, Gen size, inverter size, solar panels, etc.

Hey, just a thought anyway.

Corey

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by noble97monarch:
If you looked at some of the bus conversions, you may have seen some "all electric" coaches. Considering where your at and the complexity/safety issues with propane, you may consider an "all electric" Barth. Heck, it could even be a first!
My Barth has no propane in it as it is all electric too. Mine, like yours, is a former mobile medical lab that I converted for use in an RV. Just click on the link in my Signature Profile that says "The Story" for more info on the conversion.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ForrestKing
posted Hide Post
Bill, I think I will be going with the 'all electric' setup also. I'll get a picture of the ID tag up soon.

Today I started removing the rear closets and found all of the wires and plumbing (hidden in the walls) were labeled "X-ray" and "Darkroom" - pretty cool stuff.

I also found a switch that activates my control panel! The seller discounted the price because this panel did not work - he never found the switch either.

One group of my electrical outlets doesn't work, and I'm working on that... I have 2 electrical panels because the coach used to have 2 generators - I think the x-ray machine and some of the plugs were on the now-missing-generator.

I should start a thread with pictures and stuff...

Posts: 42 | Location: St Louis area | Member Since: 01-16-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
I should start a thread with pictures and stuff...
Now you're talking our language.
quote:
I have 2 electrical panels because the coach used to have 2 generators
I've still have my 2 generators... For the most part, useless in an RV application.

I believe, this year, I'm going to yank out my passengers side generator and make up a storage compartment in its place.

Does your switch control panel, with the double set of switches, look anything like this?

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Picture of ForrestKing
posted Hide Post
Ok, I worked on it today, here are some pictures.

Bill - I took 12 pictures of the data tag - you can't read a single one of them!

Male plug on Left exterior.

Picture of ForrestKing
posted Hide Post
ANybody know what the male plug on the exterior is for?

Picture of ForrestKing
posted Hide Post

All of the basement have this kind of lock that has been drilled/ cut by the previous owner.

DO any of you know of an available replacement?

Picture of ForrestKing
posted Hide Post
Here's the freshwater tank, located in the right rear, directly beneath the electrical panel.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Patch1st
posted Hide Post
Bill - I took 12 pictures of the data tag - you can't read a single one of them!

I had the same problem... I ended up taking it out of the coach and still couldnt get a decent pic., so I "scanned" it and it came out beautiful...

Click for Saint Clair Shores, Michigan Forecast

Patch1st
35' Regency
MCC Chassis
8.2 Detroit Diesel
"Partly Cloudy"

Posts: 455 | Location: Michigan | Member Since: 10-17-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:

All of the basement have this kind of lock that has been drilled/ cut by the previous owner.

DO any of you know of an available replacement?
Here you go, a link to the info needed for the compartment locks on a Barth.

Southco style locks

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
quote:
ANybody know what the male plug on the exterior is for?

This is the connection for a shore power cord.
Forrest where are you located in this area? I am in St.Chuck, get downtown semi-regularly and would love to see your coach and if possible be of some help.

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post