Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

New Coach
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of five-oh
posted Hide Post
Well, we are ironing out Buford's quirks little by little.
A couple of weeks ago we took out to a semi local park, about a 200 mile round trip.
A/c unit started a bit of a whine that is concerning, but worked. Buford's brakes are less than inspiring going down some of those mountains, and climbing while pulling the wife's Caddy equalled a lot of concern as to his ability to climb, but we made it to the top. About 27 mph at the crest though.
Today I carried it off to the principal reason I bought it, the Petit Jean Antique Auto Swap Meet,(63 annual).
The generator had to be stubborn and I had to make some carb adjustments to get it to run right, but we are set up.

I might even sell some excess car parts this week. But if I don't, I still got away from everything and enjoyed my antique cars

Posts: 58 | Location: Hattieville, Arkansas | Member Since: 11-01-2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of Harold,Cat&Sam
posted Hide Post
Looks like fun Smiler

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW

Posts: 621 | Location: Mooringsport,LA | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Wow you gave the old boys' engine a workout probably not seen that kind of load in 20 years!!! That is the original A/C, and I did need to rewire some around the connection to the coach it was pretty burned up. But when a Dometic A/C is hitting 34 years of age might expect a bit of a whine hope it holds for you I did not oil the fan motor or bearings. You must have worked out the winterizing issues too.

New master cylinder and front brake lines. Only adjusted the back drums might need it again, Ole Nose has similar problems, and changing the shoes is a real pain, thought about upgrading to disc but, lots of new parts and very costly.

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of five-oh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane88:
Wow you gave the old boys' engine a workout probably not seen that kind of load in 20 years!!! That is the original A/C, and I did need to rewire some around the connection to the coach it was pretty burned up. But when a Dometic A/C is hitting 34 years of age might expect a bit of a whine hope it holds for you I did not oil the fan motor or bearings. You must have worked out the winterizing issues too.

New master cylinder and front brake lines. Only adjusted the back drums might need it again, Ole Nose has similar problems, and changing the shoes is a real pain, thought about upgrading to disc but, lots of new parts and very costly.

We gonna use the old guy.I can't afford to take him on real long trips right now- $5 gas and 7 mpg really aren't compatible with a state employee's pocketbook- but we'll use him locally. I'm starting to figure out some of his quirks.Think I somewhat figured out the water deal.
Honestly, in regards to the a/c, I may just buy a new a/c unit. It's not looking likely that we will be parting with the old guy- about the only thing that would tempt me would be a Breakaway with a 5.9/Allison combo, and those are out of my price range right now- so we might as well invest a bit with an eye towards keeping it. And if the a/c goes out on a trip Lou will be done. That's her cardinal rule- she doesn't do heat. Or cold- she wants to be comfortable. And the new A/C isn't that high in the grand scheme of things.
The brakes were okay until I got them a bit hot- went down a hill that didn't SEEM that steep until we got rolling, and I used them a bit much. It was a good lesson, the rest of the trip we downshifted and planned ahead. Pro tip- Arkansas is NOT as flat as one would think from I40, and the Bostian Mountains and Ozarks are steep enough with roads that were built by following a drunk snake to cause pucker factor.

Posts: 58 | Location: Hattieville, Arkansas | Member Since: 11-01-2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Just a thought from an ex-Dometic engineer, that Penguin A/C on Buford is kinda unique, has a metal cover not plastic and the components inside were the best available in that time period. Just a suggestion, pull the metal roof cover if it is clean and no corrosion inside, oil the fan motor and bearings, if the whine stops, good chance there are years left in it. Might save you a buck or two!!

My spouse has the same love for comfort, so I know your worries.

Bought a cheap Coleman 15k BTU unit for Nose, it barely cools a 25footer. Loud and I would recommend a better unit. Believe I paid like $600 for it.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our front AC is acting up . We are looking at the Recpro Houghton low profile 13.5 unit . A little pricey , but it is suppose to be extremely quiet . Cool

The reviews on it are encouraging .

https://www.recpro.com/rv-air-...p-remote-non-ducted/

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW

Posts: 621 | Location: Mooringsport,LA | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
I changed out the A/C. Had a carrier and replaced with Furrion. It was suppose to be a lot more quite, but? In any case my summer travel plans have changed. Mostly for medical reasons. Folks seem to have forgotten that diesel fuel was over $4 almost $5 back in 2007/8 so price was not a factor. May just go to San Diego in August as it is much cooler close to the ocean.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1185 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of five-oh
posted Hide Post
This one is acting goofy. It'll run all day without a hitch or a noise. Then,all the sudden it'll start making noise.
I did what Duane suggested, no difference. And earlier today it shut down. No fan, no cool air- all the lights were on but nothing. Shut it off for 30 minutes turned it back on- ice cold air with no issue or noises.
When it's working it does amazing. It's like 100 degrees outside, legit, and around 74 in the coach after just an hour.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Pirate19
posted Hide Post
In today's times you need to count your blessings at every opportunity - as it appears you have.

'92 Breakaway
Cummins 190hp, No Modifications
Allison AT542
Floor Plan 30-BS-11B
9205-3798-30BS11B

Posts: 384 | Location: USA | Member Since: 11-07-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
My bet compressor overload switch, bet it just got hot because of the high ambient temperature. Sorry but not much can be done about that Five-oh! R22 compressors just have high pressures and generate a lot of heat.

If memory serves that metal cover is not very well vented either.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of five-oh
posted Hide Post
Knowing how rare it is to see Barths in the wild, I was amazed to step out of my coach this morning and look across the way. About 300 feet or so from Buford sat the unmistakable profile of a Barth.

Over I went to scope it out and discovered it was the previous owner of Harold's Breakaway!
I enjoyed a nice conversation with he and his wife and they proudly showed me their Barth. He was set up with car parts for sale as well. Great minds think alike!
Looking forward to the next few days there.
And the questions and compliments on Buford have been unbelievable. It's getting nearly as much attention as my '46, and I've had a least two people who acted to be very serious wanting to purchase it.
I told Lou I don't dare sell, because I know we have a good coach and I don't know where or when we would find a comparable one. But me and the a/c- well, we gonna fight. I can't have it working when it wants to, and not necessarily when I want it to.

posted Hide Post
That is really awesome .
Karsten and Cindy are really great folks . We enjoyed our time with them and hope to visit with them in the future .

He had his brother's Regal there when we bought the Breakaway . They must have fixed it up , that's great news . Smiler

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Carter:
May just go to San Diego in August as it is much cooler close to the ocean.

San Diego fuel prices are out of this world:
Gas is approaching $7.00 a gallon
Diesel is $6.59 and up.

Posts: 39 | Location: Chula Vista, Ca. | Member Since: 11-28-2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
I can make it to San Diego and back to Yuma with the fuel in my tank that I filled up a few months ago. The Barth gets just under 12mpg pulling a Jeep Liberty CRD.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1185 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post