Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

New Coach
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
Duane, I didn't get you down. It been over 10 years ago I dropped the tank on the Regal. That when i replaced leaking fuel regulator. My coach has a single 60 gal. tank that is mounted behind rear end and in front of black water holding tank. Not the worst job. It is a heavy tank. I used motorcycle jack and some 4 x4s. Steve had room above his tank. He had 8" channel above the frame on his coach. Let him to have room to cut floor. May be worth plumbing new filters on frame. Check if there any other filters in fuel line. I know some of tanks are mounted in bad locations.

Craig.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
If you are this close to dropping the tank, you should. Your tank won't be much different than mine. I have dropped it twice so far. The first time was because I did not trust how the rubber lines had aged, that were at the top of the tank . They were very cracked. The second time was because on the design of the in-tank fuel pump, there is a 2 inch section of hose. One of the clamps had loosened up, and so when the fuel level got to about half, the engine ran like it was running out of fuel, which it was. The remedy for this was a new fuel sender unit. "Spectra FG12X" is burned in my memory because of this.

Use cargo straps as well as lumber to help lower and raise the tank.

It would also be easy to cut through the floor, but then you have a hole in the floor to remedy afterwards.

Happy Motoring,
Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 524 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Still pondering the fuel tank!!! BarthBluesMobile cargo straps are a great idea. What did you guys do about the filler neck???

Steve looked at your picture to Benebob about the oil pressure switch, mine is similar, but no wire on the pressure sending unit terminal. What is the second device (black in your picture}, below the pressure sensor, is that a fuel pump on/off switch?? 88 has a similar set up?

Just might buy a GM oil pressure gauge. Install it under the dash like a hot rod!!!

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
My 86 had no oil pump cutoff switch. (All the later FI systems had them.) One of sensors is the oil pressure sender unit. The other is the oil pressure light switch.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve VW:
My 86 had no oil pump cutoff switch. (All the later FI systems had them.) One of sensors is the oil pressure sender unit. The other is the oil pressure light switch.

Your 86 had both a light and a pressure gage??

P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Checked out the cabin A/C today good news it works! It does need better wiring burned up the old wires pretty bad.

Decide to burn as much gas from the tank as possible, let it run for about 30 minutes in the driveway, still had some fuel showing on the gage so got real gutsy and went for a little drive around the neighborhood, quit on me again, Waited a couple of minutes and it restarted but would only move at minimum throttle. So it was either out of gas or the sock in the tank was clogged. There is no filter in the carburetor. So time to drop the tank, can not determine where to cut an access hole to the pump and sock, but am still hoping to find it, hate to drop the tank it is huge and looks heavy. The filler tube and vents seem to be out where they can be disconnected.

Got the new electrical thermal disconnect device today and have it installed, have not reinstalled the power supply yet.

All the fuel tanks "seem" to have the fuel pick-up in the center of the tank. I might just make this assumption and cut a hole!!!!

So end of day 6

P30 chassis
350 engine

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
My 81 Euro only had an oil pressure gauge and Lenny gave me an LED strip that I put across the dash right above the speedo. For the switch I got a simple splitter from NAPA and a sending unit. If there was a sudden drop in oil pressure I would know it instantly, instead of the next time I checked the gauges.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
The 86 had a gauge and a "check engine" light. I think it was OEM

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane88:
Checked out the cabin A/C today good news it works! It does need better wiring burned up the old wires pretty bad.

Decide to burn as much gas from the tank as possible, let it run for about 30 minutes in the driveway, still had some fuel showing on the gage so got real gutsy and went for a little drive around the neighborhood, quit on me again, Waited a couple of minutes and it restarted but would only move at minimum throttle. So it was either out of gas or the sock in the tank was clogged. There is no filter in the carburetor. So time to drop the tank, can not determine where to cut an access hole to the pump and sock, but am still hoping to find it, hate to drop the tank it is huge and looks heavy. The filler tube and vents seem to be out where they can be disconnected.

Got the new electrical thermal disconnect device today and have it installed, have not reinstalled the power supply yet.

All the fuel tanks "seem" to have the fuel pick-up in the center of the tank. I might just make this assumption and cut a hole!!!!

I know that even thinking about dropping the tank is not fun. But, I really think that in the long run, you will be glad you did. We did on Old Blue and will probably do it on Bert. It enabled us to have the tank properly cleaned and coated, make changes needed to the pickup and fuel fill. Do it while you're young. BTW, the filter in our Q-jet was right where the fuel line goes into the carb. It's about 3/16" diameter and about an inch or so long.
So end of day 6

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
Duane. Before you start cutting holes in your coach make sure you have room below your floor. Steve coach had 8" tubes between the frame and floor allow much more room above tanks. I know removing the tank is not going to be the job you want do it is most likely the way to go. Having fuel problems on the road sucks. Good luck.

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Well unless I want to take the water tank out, disassemble the bed frame and still not know for certain if I am in the right location, the floor is not going to get a hole.. head bang

Checked the fuel tank and there is only like 2 inches between the tank top and underside of the coach floor another reason no hole. Thank you Graig!!

Do any of you guys know where the fuel pump get its power?? I removed the inline fuel filter, already had the Rochester one removed for the time being. The inline seemed to be open but the flow "in" port was full of stuff poured out when I got the filter off. The diagram of the fuel routing I have shows the regulator on the outside of the frame, passenger side maybe 4 foot behind the rear wheels. Does not seem to be there. I turned on the ignition, with the fuel line open at the inline filter no fuel flow, must be a safety somewhere or the pump is not be getting power.

I am not able to locate where the fuel line enters the tank either.

The tank has two straps, and 2 bolts holding it in, going to get a big can of penetratingly oil and soak them. Figure out a good way to support the tank and lower it.

Almost certain Ole Nose is going to the Minnedsnowta GTG!!! cheers Only today to work on 88 got to get Nose, the Miata and tow dolly ready. The lawn needs mowing and I have let weeds take over the yard, spouse wants to kill me!!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do any of you guys know where the fuel pump get its power??

There's a mouse in a cage that runs around generating electricity. Must feed him often ROTFLMAO

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
fuel regulator location

Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
here is some info You.
electric fuel pump/vapor lock

Shows relay and fuel pump. connection to oil pressure switch.

Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doorman:
here is some info for you.
electric fuel pump/vapor lock

Shows relay and fuel pump. connection to oil pressure switch.