Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

New Coach
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Kevin turned me on to the folks at National RV in Shipshewana In for fridge stuff. So for another $100 they are sending me reclaimed circuit boards and a matching eyebrow, just in case my existing one does not fit the new board. He might even have included the spark device, last week he sent me a re-igniter for this fridge. Bet as soon as these get here the ones sent to Dinosaur show up!

Started to replace the air bag, what a pain as usual with a P30 there is just a few bolts, but it is in a hard to get at spot, all corroded, worked a few hours today, gonna cut a few rusted bolts tomorrow and the old bag should come out. The install should be a lot easier, new bag is in the mail!! Believe these were an added option probably by Barth.

Had to remove the shock absorber to get at some bolts it was damaged anyway, and turns out not functional so got to get new ones.

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2041 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul And Jaime:
I had a girl friend once, just like 88. Tried to break up with her for over a year but we had been together so long and weathered so many storms that I had developed a sentimental attachment to her so every time I would get my nerve up to have the talk I would always find some reason not to. Any way been married to her now for over 20 years and I am so glad I never did have that talk with her. lol

And it don't matter how bad a day I am having what from screwing up everything I touch, That all I have to do is read a new post where you say "the ole turd fairy" and it makes me laugh.

What a great story!!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2041 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Just as predicted Dinosaur just called to inform me they got the circuit boards today and are in the process of checking them out! Oh Well what is another $100 to Ole 88!!!! Still have to pay return shipping and anything Dinosaur decides to charge me too!

The good thing is anyone that might need boards for an older Dometic 2 way, can have whatever 88 does not use.!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Dinosaur called to tell me, my new Dinosaur board was fried and they are sending me a new one under warranty, the eyebrow board needed some repair work, but they are charging me for that. So with shipping another $100. Ole 88 loves to spend my money. So soon 88 will have 2 sets of fridge circuit boards, so its owner (me) can screw up the install once!!

Got the rear air bag out, replacement not here yet though. Ordered a new shock, be here tomorrow, 88 screwed up, only cost $80, not $100. Get to take the rest of the day off!!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Got the new shock and air bag installed in 88 went out for a test ride. Always liked the way nose handled over 88, but this change has really improved 88, will have to make a one after the other comparison, but believe 88 will come out on top!!!

There is a slow leak in the charge system, believe it is at that broken fill stem, check that out tomorrow. Might tie them together, don't think it would hurt, any opinions???

Parts for the fridge have not yet arrived, when they do, put the "for sale" sign back on 88. Maybe put one on Nose too, keep the one that does not sell first. Really like them both pretty equally for different reasons!!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
You have been under both coaches a considerable amount of time. How is the steel frame to aluminum coach interface holding up? Any insights?

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ccctimtation:
You have been under both coaches a considerable amount of time. How is the steel frame to aluminum coach interface holding up? Any insights?

Tim; the frame on both units is in good shape, however as usual in several spots the steel to outside skin 1x1 supports around the bottom perimeter are getting pretty rusty, (for Steve, Iron Oxide) might need to be replaced in some areas soon. Some surface corrosion, on the suspension but generally speaking, pretty good shape for being almost 40 and 35 years old.

Am not a welder, nor have the equipment to do welding, so any repair would be with bolts, not sure that is the best repair.

Seems like most of my free time for the last 4 years was spent under these two guys!!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Sure can tell fall is in the air!

Got the fridge working doing a check, had to level 88 out, running on gas, see how cold it is later tonight or in the morning. Used the National RV control board and ignition parts. The replacement eyebrow did not fit 88's fridge, so used the repaired 88 eyebrow board from Dinosaur.

Still waiting on the new fill stem for the rear air bag, believe the leak is fixed, doing an over night check just to be sure. Using a cobbled fill system of 3 pieces, not the final stem.

So if all goes well 88 is back on the local market tomorrow.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Fridge works fantastic, super cold on gas too!
So thought a double check of the water heater and furnace were in order. Turd Fairy hit the furnace!!

Turns out the low valve voltage, has to be more than 10.5 was due to the thermostat, they ran the gas and igniter valve through it too. Replaced with a home type Honeywell stat, hope it can handle the amp load!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
This machine just can not stand to not have me under it!!

The turd Fairy has struck again, a looker called me from the where the 88 is on display informing me he smells LP gas around the coach. Pretty sure the tank valves were closed, but thought it was best to check it out anyway. The valves were open on both Nose and 88, so closed them. Brought 88 back to the house to give it a check over.

The good thing no LP leak, but did find some gas dripping near the rear axel. Must have missed a piece of old hard hose or a fitting clamp has come loose, suspect the fuel return line from the manual fuel pump. Supposed to rain here for a few days, may not get at it for a bit. Oh well another thing to track down.

Just thinking, not leaking much, and it should stop, but the tank pressure might keep it leaking better go loosen the gas cap.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
My fuel leak was in the main line, missed a small piece of rubber line. Had to put a new line from the fuel pump to just in front of the drive axel. Could not get at the leak without dropping that ******* fuel tank. Back on the road!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
So 88 has found a new home and is headed to Arkansas!!

As usual 88 has a mind of its own. Plugged up a filter on the trip south, Always some thing! The new driver was able to change it and is back on the way south....Wish him no more problems!!

The furnace was working fine yesterday and of course this morning the gas Valve would not open. what an embarrassment. there was 10.3 volts vrs the 11 from when put the new stat in.

Will check with him again later tonight.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I had some problems with my furnace also. As you found, the oem thermostat switches blower and relay and handles more current than many modern ones can handle.
I installed a small relay where the thermostat wires left the furnace. Then I wired the thermostat to trip the relay coil. No more problems. Full voltage through relay and tstat is very little load.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5157 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
java hmmIs the local football team going to get another new coach Duane?

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of five-oh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane88:
So 88 has found a new home and is headed to Arkansas!!

As usual 88 has a mind of its own. Plugged up a filter on the trip south, Always some thing! The new driver was able to change it and is back on the way south....Wish him no more problems!!

The furnace was working fine yesterday and of course this morning the gas Valve would not open. what an embarrassment. there was 10.3 volts vrs the 11 from when put the new stat in.

Will check with him again later tonight.

And....88 made it back to Arkansas and is home! Got in about 115 am.
I appreciate all Duane did on the coach and his kindness.
After my trip up taking me through St Louis, I decided I'd drive as far as necessary to avoid cities.
I'm definitely more comfortable in the country and really didn't want to take my first motorhome drive through that, so I booked the long way home avoiding anything that looked like a city.
About an hour or two into the trip, the old bus fell on its face. Idled great wouldn't get over 45.
We tinkered with is and checked the filters I saw, but missed one.
Duane called to see how it was going and was a saint, telling g me about another in line filter I missed. If it'd been a snake, it would have bitten me.
Pulled off the highway and luckily there was an old fashioned parts store a block away. A new filter later and we were good to go.
Gas mileage could probably be measured in the gallons per mile, but that was my fault, because the old bus seemed to smooth out at 65 to 70 and I kept catching myself rolling along at 70 plus...
Now, hopefully to take it to the next level, little by little while we use it building on the solid work Duane did.
Oh, and even had a guy come over while I was feeding it, asking all kinds of questions about it.
I'm very happy with it and think it'll do nicely for my family and I.

Posts: 58 | Location: Hattieville, Arkansas | Member Since: 11-01-2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post