Reply To This Topic

New Coach
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
Day 2 its day two.

Keep us updated on your progress.

Midnight is back in a running condition. See you soon!

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
So, remembered my insurance does not start until June 1st, so no test ride today.

Got into the electric problems, discovered the microwave works but only the clear, start and number 6 button on the instrument pad work. Electronic key pad so probably a dead dog!

The A/C connector box was a burned out disaster, started to cut and trim wires, but I thought finding out why there is no DC in the coach was a better use of my time. So the air conditioner is another days problem.

The system has a converter AKA DC power supply, it is not working, did not spend the time to get it out yet, the cooling fan in it works but no power output, a problem but the batteries should supply power without it, they do not!!

Started tracking down the battery supply cables, there is a cabin DC shut off switch, never saw one before it is right at the door in a closed compartment, turned it on, still no DC power. Found the DC control panel, under the couch, AC panel is there too. Jumped the DC Power input cable directly to the battery. Panel circuit breakers all work. DC lights, cabin control panel roof fan all wiring seems to be in good shape! just no power to the panel. Also under there is a manual selector for the generator or shore power.

So back to the Power supply, BTW it is in the generator compartment!! Weird huh!!!

There are two electronic devices I have never seen before one connected to engine battery the other to the cabin battery. The one connected to engine battery has the DC power supply connected to the other side, using what ever the device does and seems to function. The one to cabin battery had no continuity through it, so I jumped the terminals, got DC power to cabin control panel!!!! Took the device out and shook it, sounds like a babies rattle. Now all I have to figure out what these do and where to get them, take the power supply out see if it is repairable.

Also there is no power to generator starter, ???. Where does it come from, the engine or cabin battery??

The fridge has power to it but seems to have a electronic problem, no panel or inside light. I think the circuit board is fried, that is beyond my capabilities so not sure what I am going to with it.

Day 2 close

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Watching the NASCAR race thinking of all the stuff I need to do if I want to make it to Minnesnowta in 88.

1, install electric fuel pump and auxiliary filter
2, change all fuel filters
3, oil change
4, new coach batteries
5, DC power supply ( new or repair)
6, get or by-pass power supply device (broken)*
7, check out air conditioner
8, fabricate pin for battery box to stay closed
9, find 0.5 amp battery drain

* determined the broken part is thermal protected circuit breaker, Klixon by TI Found one on Ebay!

other stuff fixing to fix

Generator
levelers
fridge
exit stair
roof ladder
air springs and/or coil over shocks

P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
quote:
Watching the NASCAR race thinking of all the stuff I need to do

You are not only the driver for the team, you are also the crew chief as well as the lead mechanic!

START YOUR ENGINES!
Tooling Along

Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 524 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Good Point Matt!!!

Well short day, did get the power supply out, had to grind off the mounting bolts. Good news it is ok!!!

Got a pin in the battery box drawer no more riding against the access door.

The generator must not have been used in a decade!! The throttle and choke are froze closed, no power to the starter. not sure it can be saved. Although the the fuel line is cracked and hard rubber, it is not leaking might be because there is little fuel in the coach.

Ran the engine a bit today, the oil pressure gage in the digital dash is not working, have to track that down before doing a run, no unknown engine noise so I am pretty sure it has pressure, but that gage needs to work for sure. BTW this coach seems to only have one fuel tank, wonder what is the capacity?

Took a look under the back of this coach, the frame is like twice the size of the one in Nose, the single gas tank must hold a whole gas station full of gas it is huge!! Has a two piece drive shaft does not look very substantial at the center U-joint. The front suspension is again twice the beef of ole Nose. I do not think the transmission is the same TH400 as in Nose either. Even the oil pan on the engine is different.

Have liability insurance tomorrow so will get to that test ride.

Slow day, end of day 3

P30 chassis
350 engine

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
If the power supply was good why did you remove it?

With all the electrical issues and thing fried do you think act of god? Lightening Or act of ignorance. Miss wire spiked systems?

Careful on your test drive. Work those brakes.

If the fuel tank is that big and that empty probably had some condensation. Are you going to try and drain the tank get rid of the old crappy gas? Or just try to work it through?

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Dana, I could not determine if there were wiring problems to the 120, 12 volt circuits or if the power supply was faulty. so a bench test.

Pretty sure it is both, lack of maintenance and there was a small fire I do not know what caused it.

There is no gas tank drain, so I guess I will do my best to burn it up, trip to Minnesnowta should do it. Just hope the interior walls are not rusted. Will take a boat load of fuel filters on the trip.

You bet I will really check out the braking system before I get out of my area.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Not a great day, bought 2 new deep cycle batteries and fixed a broken inside compartment door.

Then the fun began, thought I would air up the tires and go for a little test drive. Had to buy flexible air valve extensions after a hundred parts and RV stores I found what I needed at good ole Farm and Fleet. To install them I had to pull the rear wheels. The back of this coach is very difficult to find a place to place the jack and stands, but finally worked it out.

Was a bit worried about quantity and quality of the small amount of gas in that huge tank, so went to Shell station and put 10 gallons of 91 octane in it. I did check the brakes numerous times before leaving my cul-de-sac, they were as good as Noses'. After the 10 gallons of gas the gage barely registered.

Happily went driving around town, took it up to 45mph nice ride even with no air springs front or back. Then the turd fairy struck!! Was showing off tooling down the park road along the river, lots of folks walking enjoying the sun, and the thing just quit!!! Was able to coast over into a parking spot.

Took the air filter off, pumped the throttle a few times, no gas stream in the carburetor!! I was about 5 miles from home and no one to come get me, I had some tools with me but not many. Thinking it is either the fuel pump or the carburetor fuel filter was completely clogged. I did not have a wrench the size to fit the filter housing with me. So I just tapped on the Rochester and pumped the throttle, about a minute later got a bit of fuel to flow. started the engine and headed home!! about 1/2 mile down the road it quit again, same game another 1/2 mile, so about 10 restarts later and an hour, I am home safe and sound!!

End of day 4

P30 chassis
350 engine

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Years ago I bought a gas company pickup that had been converted to LP and was converted back to gas to sell. The inside of the gas tank had apparently rusted due to being dry for so long, and I always had problems keeping the filter unclogged. It would just quit going down the road, so I'd have to get under it and pull the filter and back blow it by mouth. If I was unable to get under it I could wait 5 minutes or so and it would fire back up, but never for very long. Sounds like the place to start to me.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
DannyZ, Thanks for insight and I believe you are absolutely correct! The size of this tank is huge and no drain so it is going to fight me forever, got to find a place for another fuel filter, a bigger one that will take longer to clog. located with easy access.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
Duanee88, now that the fuel tank is almost empty this is the time to drop it and pull fuel filter sock and clean tank. I think your fuel tank has a high pressure pump that run a fuel regulator that drops pressure to about 4psi. then runs to engine mech. pump. In tank there a hose that runs to generator. The fuel sock should be replaced. Also replace fuel lines too. I suggest replace fuel pressure regulator at this time. It,s a Holly unit and are not expensive. under $30. if you don't do this now you will have more problems. If you replace the Qjet filter this should fix your fuel problems. There might a filter from the fuel pressure regulator to engine. There a return line that runs tank. With tank out make you clean fuel sender connection and ground and check fuel gauge function. This should keep you busy for some time.

Craig

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Good luck with your fuel system. As Craig mentioned, there are numerous possible problems.

For me the filter sock in the tank was the deal breaker. On my Regal it got plugged more than once. You cant get to it to clean it. On one tank I was able to cut a hole in the floor under the bed. I removed the fuel pump and sock and put in a simple open tube. Outside the tank I mounted a large filter with replaceable element. (These giant filters are easy to replace and will hold a bunch of junk before you get stopped!) The other tank I just used a piece of tubing down from the top to a second large filter.

some photos and discussion here:
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...1087061/m/9023985387

From there it went to the fuel tank selector valve then to an electric fuel pump. (I used a Carter pump with internal regulator, eliminated the inline unit) The pump pushed fuel all the way to the second filter mounted on the frame to the third inline filter next to the carb . I eliminated the mechanical fuel pump. (a reliability and vapor lock issue improvement)

After some foolery finding a decent tank selector valve I never had another fuel supply issue. When I converted to the fuel injection I just converted to to a higher pressure pump.

I strongly suggest getting rid of the fuel tank socks, and install large easily serviced filters.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Thanks Graig and Steve, but you guys ruined my day!!! Violence

Was just under 88 and saw a 1/2 inch fuel line to a massive mechanical fuel pump outside the frame and thought my vapor lock worries were over with this coach. I was only under the front of the coach,,, Whoopie! Came inside to look up what the fuel pump was and got the surprise of also finding it has an in tank electrical and the mechanical. Then I read your posts. OK now I am pretty sure it is going to be Nose I take to Minnesnowta.

I replaced the Rochester fuel filter and restarted the engine, it ran 5 minutes and quit. Disconnected the fuel line and ran some gas into a clear jar, it is yellow and cloudy!! I must have really mixed up the old stuff and what ever corrosion was on the tank interior when I put in that new gas, but in the gas did not see and debris. Did the unthinkable and hooked it all back up without a filter, started it up and ran the engine for like 15 minutes. Figured the carburetor needs a rebuild kit anyway and I have like 3 of them.

Now I have to figure how to drop the gas tank!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Can you cut a hole to get to the top? Under the bed etc

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Steve that big ole gas tank runs right down the middle of the coach, the bed is in the rear on the passenger side outside wall, a wall down the center of the coach separates the bath and bed. I am going to see if I can determine where the fuel line exits the tank, will let you know!!

Well since you guys smashed my day, decided to do some more tracking down the electrical stuff. I found out the genset starter has a cable that runs to the cabin battery via a main on/off switch, the power supply also charges the cabin battery with this cable. To confuse the issue a PO spliced in a disconnect that kills all the cabin power in parallel to this cable. Not sure why this was done and don't think I will leave it this way. This is why I could not determine if the power supply was viable. There is an auxiliary start switch on the dash have yet to determine if there is a relay somewhere.

Took a closer look at the fridge, discovered there was no DC to it, jumped the house battery to it and the control lighted up like it should. Must be a fuse or circuit breaker I have not yet found. Did not try to run the cooling unit, maybe tomorrow. The water pump seems to work I could hear it pumping but have not put water in the tanks yet.

Maybe tomorrow will get to the A/C!! The only other electrical appliance, that has not shown signs of life is the cook top light and fan!

Had a thought on the fuel....why no fuel when I turned on the ignition from the electrical pump! Had to turn the engine over! I copied Steve and put a pressure gage on Nose it reads about 3 pounds with the engine off.

Final end day 5

P30 chassis
350 engine