Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

New Coach
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
All that it can be is the wire from the fuel pump just goes to the wiring fuse block and dead ends. There was a fire in that area of the blue wire splices. There is an empty welded bracket on the driver side doghouse wall suppose that is where the relay was once mounted. Assume that in-tank fuel pump has not functioned since the fire.

Just can not get down between the drivers seat and the steering column to see where the fuse block is located. Will have to remove the drivers seat to get in there.

Give up on trying to use what is there. Wire in a new relay, get another oil pressure sensor. Wire a primer circuit from the starter relay circumventing the oil pressure lock out. Another $50!! The fuel pump, pumps 95 GPH should prime an empty carburetor pretty easily. Guess what only have yellow and black wire!!!!

Raise that*******fuel tank and test drive!!! Oh Yeah still have to remove that second AIR pump and resize the belt!!

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2041 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
quote:
All that it can be is the wire from the fuel pump just goes to the wiring fuse block and dead ends.

Disconnect batteries. Remove fuses. Put a battery on the + side of the electric fuel pump connector. - side on frame GND. Probe in the dashboard area for that positive voltage. Have your meter on frame ground if you can. If you see wire harness connections, separate the the connector and probe those points.

There are also cheap sine wave voltage generators that put out a signal to a wire that can be traced with a radio detector. I have never used one. Harbor Freight wants $25 for one.

With what you tell me about the fire in the area of the blue wire splices, I am guessing what you see is attempt number 2 by the person doing the job. Attempt #1 started the fire. In their work, the sub-harness that went to the relay was cut from the situation.

As a short term measure, you could wire a dashboard switch to power that fuel pump. But it would be nice to get a relay in place, long term. Long term, you could also find a harness from an SOB being parted out.

Matt

Posts: 523 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Tere spends more time on wiring than anything else. I seem to recall Nick Cagle deciding to rewire his entire coach--or maybe it was Steve. Anyway, by the time they were done, had a pile of wire 3' in diameter left over.
On Old Bert, the fuse block is accessed by a panel on top of the dash that you remove. Really good idea.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
quote:

Raise that*******fuel tank and test drive!!! Oh Yeah still have to remove that second AIR pump and resize the belt!!

Is the 2nd air pump in the way of installing new belt or can you just leave it alone?

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Believe it is time to stop worrying about that ******* fuel tank!

Raised that beauty today, bolted it up, replaced the straps, filler tube and vent!! Whoopie!!!! Tough job really wore my old butt out. Did it by myself, up and down, left side right side, dirty top to bottom.

Jim, the top of the 88 dash has no panel, that is visible!!! Still in real envy of Tere doing this job!

Matt to wire the fuel pump circuit, is not to bad of a job, did it on Nose when the electric fuel pump was added. The worst part is installing the oil pressure sending unit.

Craig, never checked the clearance, will take a look, however that AIR should hit the bin anyway!!!

Tomorrow mow and weed day. Hope to get things topped off and test ride by Friday, not much time until the Michigan GTG.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2041 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane88:

Jim, the top of the 88 dash has no panel, that is visible!!! Still in real envy of Tere doing this job!

Hope to get things topped off and test ride by Friday, not much time until the Michigan GTG.

DBarth had that dash hole. Made things much easier to reach and see. Midnight does not Why carry forward a great idea? hmm

Carry forward a stupid one like Reflectx in the walls and ceiling How stupid Deadhorse

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1381 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Carry forward a stupid one like Reflectx in the walls and ceiling How stupid

My guess they put that in the coach, advertising for Reflectx and maybe a bit of cash.

Got to work on the fuel pump and the new wiring a bit today, have only a 2 gallon gas can and the back end of 88 is jacked up quite a bit, it took 12 gallons to get the fuel pump to pick up. Jumped it to a the house battery for this check. Nice to see clean blue (a bit of 2 cycle oil) gas.

Put in another oil pressure switch, three trips to hardware store later it is in place. There was already 2, one to the gauge, assume the second one was to the in-tank fuel pump, but might be to the check engine light so did not reuse it.

Spent most of the day going for gas or hardware, still hoping for a test ride tomorrow!!!

Thought in my stash of Nose parts there was a double throw relay, but no luck, so another trip to the auto parts guy is needed.

My butt is still tired from putting that ******* fuel tank up Tuesday.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Well did not get in a test ride, wanted to do some other work while the rear end was up on jack stands. It was just to hot for my old butt! So maybe tomorrow.

Did get it all wired up and the fuel lines connected, started right up, runs better without all those vacuum leaks. Always did run in the driveway except the last drive, really went bad when needed a larger supply of fuel, so although it sounds good, only 80% sure all the fuel delivery problems are resolved, need that test drive to convince me. There is 14 gallons of fuel in it and still not reading on the gas gauge, but that was expected might show a bit when the coach is level. The fuel gauge bottoms out and pick-up tube ends about 2 inches off the bottom of the tank.

Needs to cool down in Iowa a bit!!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

posted Hide Post
quote:
pick-up tube ends about 2 inches off the bottom of the tank.

that doesn't sound good! Can you splice on a segment of fuel hose to go the distance?

Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 523 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
Here is what might belong on the bottom of your dip tube.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Hey, not going to worry about the short pick-up tube, knew it when put the tank up. A few gallons in the tank bottom sloshing around is ok with me it will all mix in and leave any junk down there. Even if is as much as 10 gallons still have at least 50 gallons burnable probably more. Provides 350 miles of driving, more than my Blatter holds.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
What did you do with gen fuel feed line?

/

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
I thought the fuel feed was an intank pump at the bottom corner. Confused

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
The fuel gauge is not working with this new sending unit.

Got in a short test drive to the gas station, put in another 10 gallons, wanted to check the fuel gauge.

Did get it on the floor a couple times, fuel flow is fine no hesitation at all.

Craig, the generator pick tube stops a few inches before the engine pick-up.

Tim, changed from an in-tank fuel pump to an inline pump and cartridge filter, for easier access.

Matt the rubber tube in the tank went bad, not sure if that would happen again even with new alcohol safe rubber. Want to keep all in-tank stuff metal.

P30 chassis
350 engine

posted Hide Post
quote:
fuel gauge is not working

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. Don't forget, your sender unit is above the floor of the tank. I've had cars and trucks where it seems that the first and last five gallons don't cause the gauge needle to deflect at all, and the middle ten gallons seem to go very fast.

good luck!
Matt