Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

New Coach
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
Welcome five-oh. Glad your maiden voyage went fairly uneventful. You have a good solid rig that you can now make your dream home. Have fun and don’t be afraid to ask questions. We will help any way we can.

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1383 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Oh I am so happy almost all the trip went well Five-Oh. Please feel to check with me on anything. A lot of anxiety on my part last night, but thought no news is good news, but did not sleep real well after the filter thing.

Read SteveVW's post above about the T-Stat, jump those wires at the Stat and see if it lights before you tear that furnace apart...Steve is normally a great source and bet he is right!!

So relieved you are home safe and sound!!!

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2044 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Kevin, Done with any new Coach, got lots of work to get ole Nose to a top level!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2044 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Five-Oh, used to be a guy "Benebob" had a Barth similar to 88 except a 27 footer. Just got nose and drove it to a GTG in Ohio, at 50-55 experienced vapor lock during the trip, and a dirty Quadra jet filter no speed Doorman got me all fixed though. Benebob said he drove his at 75+ when ever he could, unlike 88, Nose has a real Vapor Lock problem anyway decided on the return trip that ole Nose was good for that speed too. Gas milage was like 5/6 and first time slowed down had vapor lock in traffic. So slowed down a bit.

88 has 1/2 fuel lines and that 7 psi Holley electric fuel pump, so if you like 70+ and don't mind pushing that barn door through the wind at 6 MPG or so...go for it!!!

SteveVW stuck a throttle body infection system on his hi-output 86 and said it improved his gas usage, might try it too.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of five-oh
posted Hide Post
Well, I'm thinking the fuel injection will be a future upgrade for sure.. and dream upgrades would be a nice over drive, maybe a Gear Vendors. But, I have other hobbies that would eat up the $3k+ THAT would cost. I spent the day familiarizing myself with it, as I've never had a motorhome before and my boss was kind enough to let me play hooky today due to the late arrival home.
Broke out the wife's pricey rainbow vacuum- yeah, there's the equivalent of an overdrive in cost- and did a thorough cleaning.
The wife and daughter went for a ride tonight- don't laugh, we actually drove it to church. It met with strong approval. My daughter broke out some of her sunflower stuff, so the couch now has a black cover with a giant sunflower on it, and sunflower pillows. Not Dad's style, but if it makes her and her mama happy. Surprisingly, both women loved the barrel chairs so they are staying.
I've already had a couple of flatscreens that fit perfectly in the area where the ancient tvs reside, with just a bit of mount-crafting, and they'll be put in, along with a dvd player and roku sticks, maybe as soon as this weekend. We are considering heading for a nearby campground over the Thanksgiving holidays to break it in.
I can already see this is gonna be an obsession....

Posts: 58 | Location: Hattieville, Arkansas | Member Since: 11-01-2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of Harold,Cat&Sam
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your new coach Smiler

I try to navigate around the big cities when traveling . I prefer to be out in the country as well . Hope to see you around Arkansas . Arkansas is where we camp the most .

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW

Posts: 621 | Location: Mooringsport,LA | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Geez, so happy things have gone well, looks like 88 has found a great home!!! Also am glad you are keeping us up to date as to how it is going. Good luck!!!!

Have you decided on a new handle???

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of remaining fix ups left undone on 88, and perhaps some of the stuff I did you may want to improve so your hands will be kept busy.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of five-oh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane88:
There are a lot of remaining fix ups left undone on 88, and perhaps some of the stuff I did you may want to improve so your hands will be kept busy.

Brother, I have so many projects to keep my hands busy, I'll have to live to be 140. LOL
But, yeah, 88 will get its share of the love.
The wife is rooting for the name "Bertha", but we've told her that name's taken. My daughter thinks it should be Buford the Big Beautiful Barth, after Buford T Justice in "Smokey and the Bandit".
I'm thinking Buford will wind up being the name. Lord knows the things I will want to call it while looking at the bank account balance wouldn't be appropriate. LOL
At any rate, the whole family is a fan and we are steadily deciding what we want to do to make it truly ours. I told my daughter despite her initial desire for painted cabinets, I drew the line on that. That might be appropriate for those particle board stick-built things, but not the elegant hardwood cabinetry in Buford. She agreed, and she and the wife are debating flooring and couch covering choices.

Posts: 58 | Location: Hattieville, Arkansas | Member Since: 11-01-2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of five-oh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Harold,Cat&Sam:
Congratulations on your new coach Smiler

I try to navigate around the big cities when traveling . I prefer to be out in the country as well . Hope to see you around Arkansas . Arkansas is where we camp the most .

Look forward to bumping into you! I see you are a ham- Maybe I'll have a 706mkIIg installed along with some ham sticks by the time we meet! Been a while since I was active in the hobby, might be time to get back on the air. De- AC5RM

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the site! Thumbs Up

Be careful, these things are addictive. It looks like you are close to hooked already. Lots of fun projects and good times ahead. enjoy it! Tooling Along

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5160 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sue W
posted Hide Post
Thank you Duane and five-oh for keeping this sweet coach on the road ❤️.

Posts: 17 | Location: Knoxville Tn | Member Since: 04-20-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of five-oh
posted Hide Post
Well. Did a bit of upgrades to Buford Barth today. While the wife and kiddo headed to raid thrift stores for the day, I politely excused myself, made a dash to Russellville, and acquired some things I needed for my project for the weekend.
Instead of working on the antiques, both of which need my attention, or the remodel job , I chose to upgrade the Barth.
Started the morning by attempting to remove the original front TV. It fought me dearly. But, after hand cramps and fussing, out it came and I was dismayed to see that they had ran a 12v plug, but no 120.
So when I went to town, a small inverter followed me home and solved that. After a bit of crafting in the mounting, being careful to not damage the cabinetry, this is the result of the morning:

It also received a new dvd player, in the front passenger compartment, just in case we get to an area with no wifi or phone service.

Then back to the bedroom I went, motivated. A short time later, this is the result, also with a new dvd player:

And final touch for the day, providing I don't find more motivation, was removing the front license plate. Since Arkansas doesn't require it, I thought this plate that my wife had laying around would be appropriate, as I am a minister, and He is the reason for all the blessings in my life:

I also managed to find a cell phone mount that glued to the instrument panel for my phone. My two biggest gripes on the way home were lack of a decent cupholder and knocking my phone off of the doghouse, and it invariably heading under the seat. Very irritating when you are depending on the MAPS feature of said phone and are trying to not run over 27 people driving through 4 lanes of traffic. Now, though, the mount will solved that. I glued it to the face of the none working tach.

Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of panel TVs that are actually 12 VDC with a converter in line. Hope you didn't have an unnecessary project. Good luck and keep us posted.

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of five-oh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ccctimtation:
I have a couple of panel TVs that are actually 12 VDC with a converter in line. Hope you didn't have an unnecessary project. Good luck and keep us posted.

Unfortunately, my cheap panel TVs had no external converters in line. But the converter was the easy part of the job, and it wasn't but $20. The hard part was getting the old tvs out. Lord, I don't know how they got the screws in the back side to hold them in, because there was no way to fit anything more than a small "shorty" screwdriver. But all's well that ends well they say. I had a bit of concern that the bracket on the new tvs would rattle going down the road, so I lined it with a strip of rubber. After mounting it all back up I went for a drive. No rattle, and no bounce. The cheap tvs I have doesn't have the greatest audio output though, or I'm going deaf- gonna be looking at adding some speakers.
Meanwhile, I've taken the old car stereo in the dash out and hopefully before church tomorrow, I will be installing a more modern version, with USB capability. My kid's gonna hate me- I have a peculiar love for the music of my childhood, which happens to be Bluegrass, Southern Gospel, and Merle Haggard and George Jones style country. The USB Capability means hours of my music on MP3...LOL