Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

New Coach
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
You sound on the right track. All those should be on the house batteries. Correct not the fridge.

Black heater is normally on the house batteries and is a tank blanket to keep from freezing the crap. Makes it hard to drain Sorry Minnesnowtans know frozen……………….

Block heater is normally 110 volt. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a 12volt one.

DBarth had been told it had tank heaters. Had a lighted switch in the bathroom that lit when on. When I changed. Floor in bathroom found the wires rolled up under the floor and no tank blankets.

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1381 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Dana, what ever or wherever that Black heater is it is not connected to anything, no power, no OHM's either. It is a fig newton of a Barth imagination!!!

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2041 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Did a bit of puttering around this weekend, got the LP tank painted, eliminate reason for LP dealer not to fill it. The fog lights did not work, grounds were corroded and the power lines disconnected.

So just a few more items to look at, then put ole 88 on the market.

Need to confirm the fridge works on LP works fine on 115 volts, the water heater lights, figure out why the furnace does not ignite, fan works and finally get the cook top fan and light to work.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2041 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Now this is weird!!! Checked the furnace, the hot water heater and LP side of the fridge. All three have the same problem the electronic igniters do not function! This has to be more than just a co-incidence. Anyone have thoughts??? Hate to take it to a dealer but I am lost!!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Aren't they each on a switch?

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Those old boards are notorious for failure, often in the high voltage ignitor section. 3 at the same time does seem a bit much.

Be sure to purge the gas lines to each device. Even after a couple months sitting my appliances often don't light right up. I would crack the line at each device and verify flow of good stinky gas, then try them again.

The Dinosaur brand pcb boards have done well for me. So far two water heaters and one furnace. Good luck. They are pretty much universal so if you get one you could try it in the other devices. good luck

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5157 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
Check to see if the boards have 12 volts to them. There may be 12 volt circut breakers or a fuse blown somewhere.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Did a check on the water heater and its hook up. Power to the board and power from the thermostat. Took the cover off the board, the cover is melted and the board covered in rust particles. After shaking it off it does not look too bad, however pretty sure it is fried. Ordered a new one from Dinosaur as Steve recommended. Seem to need a different one for the furnace and another for the fridge. Take a week to get this one. Geez hoped the end of these repairs was near, guess not, the 10 year long sit time of this coach is taking its toll. This board was on the outside of the coach behind a vented door kinda open to the elements, the furnace one is under the sink inside the coach and the fridge one is pretty protected, hope for better luck with those.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Got the new water heater Dinosaur board yesterday, easy install and the water heater works fine, did make an adjustment to the mixture gas to air, guess over the years of non-use it may have corroded a bit and closed up the nozzle, anyway it heats water, shuts off when it gets to temp and starts when it cools down.... Smiler

So after years of not working, guess these boards just gave out, looked closely at the fridge board, it works on AC but not on gas, no power to the igniter or gas valve. Guess a new board is in order, dinosaur has a new board. P246 plus, costly though, the old OEM replacement is Dinosaur P24, found one on Ebay, for about half the price of the P246, bid on it see what happens. Have to check the furnace, believe it takes the same board as is used in the water heater.

Oh well, its only money!!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Got a new circuit board for the furnace, after installing it there was igniter spark, but the gas valve would not open, had to take the burner out to get at the valve, jumped 12 volts to it and it seemed to work fine, checked the voltage going to it from the new board and it was only about 9 volts. checked power going into the board it also was about 9 volts power coming to the assembly was over 12 volts. Cleaned all the terminals on the limit, sail switch and relay, voltage got up to about 11 to the valve, the furnace service manual says the valve needs 10.5 volts to operate. Put the assembly back together seems to work again! Guess being from the Savanna area and sitting unused for a long time the terminals just corroded, funny that the igniter sparked at a lower voltage then the valve required.

Next the fridge!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Must say working on these old machines, can make for an interesting experience!
Got the new Dinosaur circuit board for the fridge control, installed it and the igniter worked, but the gas valve would still not open. Puttered around, put the old board back in, it still did not function. Put the new board back in, called the folks at Dinosaur, he had me check a couple of voltages, in this process I misloaded one of the terminal connections, and now the upper would not light up at all.

Turns out, this tech is the founder of the company, really nice fellow, name is Guy! He told me to send him the board and the upper board, he would do any repairs and make sure it mates with the upper board.

Looked for a new igniter, none to found, seems no one has any stock. Believe this one is ok, hope to figure out how to test it. Wanted to find a new one just in case..

So stuck on the fridge for a week or so.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Pirate19
posted Hide Post
Nice to know we apparently have an ally, Dinosaur, in battle to keep these appliances functioning.

'92 Breakaway
Cummins 190hp, No Modifications
Allison AT542
Floor Plan 30-BS-11B
9205-3798-30BS11B

Posts: 384 | Location: USA | Member Since: 11-07-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
So have been driving 88 around, showing it to a lot of folks, had a couple of offers that fell through...Oh Well!!

Then the ole Turd Fairy woke up!! The USPS seems to have lost my package to Dinosaur electronics with the circuit boards in it, never bothered to insure it of course and misplaced the receipt with the tracking number. Might have to tract down another upper and lower board!!! Did get an igniter board from the RV guy in Shipshewana In. Might have to hit him up for circuit boards too, if he has them.

Next, in an earlier post, talked about how great it was the rear air bags were good, Wrong!! The fill that was assumed to be for both bags, was for the passenger side only, funny how it seemed to lift the whole rear end when it was filled, however it was for one side only. Found a second fill valve, it had broken off leaving only a short stud. Put an extension on it and tried to fill the bag "no go".

Jacked the rear end up and crawled under the coach only to find the airbag had a hole in it, looks like the exhaust pipe had fallen down and burned a hole in it, fixed that long ago.

So a new air bag, about $100, looks like a pain in the behind to replace, the shock is tied into the bracket, so guess they will get replaced also, stated earlier the driver side had a dent in it anyway. Another can of Master Blaster!!

So off the market until new parts are installed. Do not feel right trying to sell it as is. Hope not to have anything else go bad!!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/20
Picture of Paul And Jaime
posted Hide Post
I had a girl friend once, just like 88. Tried to break up with her for over a year but we had been together so long and weathered so many storms that I had developed a sentimental attachment to her so every time I would get my nerve up to have the talk I would always find some reason not to. Any way been married to her now for over 20 years and I am so glad I never did have that talk with her. lol

And it don't matter how bad a day I am having what from screwing up everything I touch, That all I have to do is read a new post where you say "the ole turd fairy" and it makes me laugh.

Posts: 155 | Location: Ky | Member Since: 10-20-2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post